Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I'm not sure what your concern is. As V_Allen says, the amsteel larks heads cinch down very tightly on the spreader bars whereas the hardware methods I've seen are just a loose fit. This is the only method I would even consider using...simple, no added weight and works extremely well...what more could you want?
    Well, at the risk of being "that guy", I'll answer since you asked a question directly of me. My concern, such as it is, rises only to the level of "on the knot, not the toggle". Having said that, I have been present at 3 separate bridge failures, I was not in the hammock, but those bars springing loose caused more than a little excitement.

I think this method is fine for an enthusiast with experience. If I were setting this up for kids and using amsteel, I'd probably drill the end pin and peg it with a cotter pin, same thing with the ti pieces from Dutch. I've had kids hit the deck because of cinch buckles twisting (even though they were wrapped 6 times), I've had webbing cut through at the cinch buckle, ruining straps and ending in an abrupt introduction to terra firma. Even been present when the uber supreme Dutchware caused a suspension failure due to an unfinished edge on some tiny Ti piece. (made a 2 hr round trip drive just to make sure that hanger slept in a hammock that night). I have been fortunate not to have an amsteel related failure, so I too have a high level of confidence in the general setup pictured, even so the uninitiated (not the OP necessarily) should be given a heads up imho. So that's essentially why i said something, stuff happens and this setup requires the cinching to be spot on and should the suspension slide when slacked, even just a little, would be pretty easy for the attachment to pop off. Again, my concern really only rose to the level of on the knot, not the toggle, hang your own hang and all that. Wasn't trying to be a downer on an obviously fine effort at a diy bridge. In fact, the simplicity has inspired me to make my 3rd attempt at bridge cause I gotta believe there's a setup better than the few I've tried, that will work for me. Liking WV's suggestion, already doing that for my knees on a large gathered end setup.

Quote Originally Posted by V_Allen View Post
    Hmmm - I'll try that later today. Thank you!

Thank you Kpi890!

No no - landscaping is too much like work. The G4 pictures - yes,yes.

Exactly! The amsteel loops grip the spreader ends really tight and its a very easy construction method. I have no concerns for this method at all. The only other thing I could want is an added beer dispenser. Maybe a water bladder suspended from the ridge - hmmmm, thats an idea..............
    hah, I have my beer dispenser integrated, coincidently, suspended from the ridge line.
    yeah, I like the simplicity too, sure is a fine, clean diy example
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    12X10 SilPoly
    Insulation
    CS UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Images
    Ratdog - I really do get what your saying. I too have witnessed several bridge failures due to the spreaders not being seated properly. Some people just roll up their bridge with the poles in place and then unroll and hang assuming the poles are still in place and seated properly - those poles came out like an arrow from a bow! I have also seen the fabric start to rip because it's being asked to do more than its capable of doing.

While I may construct something by eyeballing it instead of precise measuring, I do make sure the triangles are the proper length so as not to cause too much stress on the spreaders. The hardware issue is a valid one in my opinion - I have seen hardware ends start to wear/cut/chafe thru the webbing. It is a concern for me - which is the reason I went recently to the hardware-less approach. I always inspect my hammock ends/supports before each use for wear and tear (even at home) and to see if I hooked everything up correctly. I cannot assume that everyone does the same "safety inspection" at every hang. I also inspected and packed my own parachute before jumping out of a perfectly good airplane at 20,000 feet - people thought I didn't trust the parachute rigger - and to be honest, I didn't - I feel I'm responsible for me. I keep forgetting that not everyone is paranoid.

I apologize to everyone for not stressing that safety is first when constructing and hanging in a bridge hammock and that if you don't understand about why something is done this or that way, you need to read about/question it. ALWAYS inspect your gear! ASK questions if your not sure of something. If your new to bridge construction, please study/ask questions and if that post is 100 pages long - read it anyway because someone may have found a problem or solution to a problem on page 76.

I'm done now

Ratdog - I'm grateful that you care enough to question my or someone else's construction methods. Keep right on keeping on!

Vince
    Last edited by V_Allen; 06-03-2015 at 06:56.

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    What are you using for the attachment point at the apex of the triangle?

Hammock
    Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    12X10 SilPoly
    Insulation
    CS UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by punkisdead View Post
    What are you using for the attachment point at the apex of the triangle?
    A single descender ring works for me along with a Camp Nano 23 carabiner. If I make a bridge for someone heavier than 260 they get a double set of descender rings on each end.

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Ok, so I'm guessing when making the dog bones then I should make sure the loops are large enough to get around the descender rings then.

Hammock
    Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    12X10 SilPoly
    Insulation
    CS UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by punkisdead View Post
    Ok, so I'm guessing when making the dog bones then I should make sure the loops are large enough to get around the descender rings then.
    Yep! I've also use one long line (ends as a loop - one loop connected to the hammock with an amsteel carabiner w/diamond knot) and use the apex with a descender ring. Or just use a carabiner on the ends of your dog bones.

20150530_181233.jpg

You can see it in the circle above

20150603_145229.jpg
    Last edited by V_Allen; 06-03-2015 at 14:05. Reason: correction

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123