Dream Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11WB
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    1.) ....UGQ also makes both top and bottom quilts, but between all the drop down menus and abbreviations, their website makes your head spin - so it's not as easy to do a direct comparison.

Don't be too fast to dismiss them. They make the best quilts on the market!
    At first the website seems complicated, but it's because they offer so many choices to configure exactly what you want.
    Spend a little time looking around and it becomes intuitive.

Choose UQ or TQ. If TQ, decide which model (Flight Jacket or Renegade).
    Then scroll down to the temp rating you want.
    From there, the drop menu lets you choose color and fabric, foot box style, etc.
    Then you can add overfill if desired.

I have both TQs and UQs from UGQ as well as from the other most highly regarded cottage manufacturer.
    My opinion is that UGQ is by far the better quilts in terms of both materials, craftsmanship, design, and durability. They are slightly heavier (in apples to apples comparison), but that's because they are built better.

The original poster's profile says he's from Chattanooga. That tells me a lot about where he most likely camps.
    I agree that 20* quilts will be most useful if you only have one set.

Also, be sure to check out UGQ offering of 7/8 length UQ.
    I'm 5'9" and the 7/8 length is almost total coverage for me, yet trims some weight off the full length variety.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Your situation will definitely be different than mine and not just in the location temps we hang in, but also in HOW you sleep temp wise.

In Florida, 20*F quilts are deeeeep Winter that the Northerners laugh at. In Summer, we (us crazy enough to do it)hang in some heat/humid conditions. A Summer series quilt set would be a 3 season set for us.

For me specifically, I use a synthetic 3/4 UQ and synthetic TQ that most would use down to maybe the 40s and I've used it to 23*F. I'm a warm sleeper. Others need a full length UQ and down TQ to keep warm.

I made a Summer series TQ from Walmart Polyester and 1/4" low loft quilt batting. It's great for Florida Summers with lows lower 70's to mid 80's (Usually no quilts needed for Top or Bottom unless windy/rainy)

It's up to you on how you sleep, where you sleep, Conditions you sleep in and this will determine your Quilts, whether one set or multiple sets.

Good luck.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    I agree with everyone above me!
    I was just out in the Big South Fork and temps dipped below 60 late at night. I used my 20* ugq underquilt and a horrible DIY top blanket of apex climashield. It worked because the UQ was warm and I curl up a bit when I sleep so I am totally on the UQ. My ground dwelling buddy on his non insulated pad was cold in his 45* bag.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12