Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images

NC > Merchants Mill Pond State Park>Halloween / Hunger Hang Oct 2015

HalloweenHang AKA 2nd Annual Hunger Hang
    PlanningThread

I held a poll and Thursday 29 Oct to Sunday 01 November 2015 was the preferred date for the hang

Who:Hammock Hangers and or hammock hanger wantabes who just want to learn about hammock camping. Spend one or two or three nights or just come by for the day to visit. This will be our 5thgroup hang at the park.

What:Hammocking in the woods at beautiful Merchants Mill Pond State Park

When:12noon Thursday to 1 PM Sunday. Group sites 1 and 2 have been reserved.

Where:Merchants Mill Pond State Park
    176 Millpond Road, Gatesville,NC27938-9440
    GPS:36.437105,-76.701585
    http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/memi/main.php

As in the past we will be at Group Campgrounds, Site 1 and 2

How:Sign up sheet is here.....https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Therei s a sign up sheet for those attending, a meal planning sheet and a“need to borrow some gear” sheet. Look at the bottom of the page to view the various sheets.

There will be a check in sheet at the hang, so when you arrive, please check in so we will know who is attending and pick up your name tag.

Raffle...........

Last year we raised $725 and donated it to Friends of Merchants Mill Pond State Park. Can we do better ?

I will try and get some items for a raffle( and raffle tickets ) for this hang.If you have anything to donate for a raffle then please do so. If you are friends with any of the cottage vendors please let me know. I will contact some vendors and see if they are willing to donate anything.

I will be donating some DIY gear to get us started. I recommend that any $$$ raised in excess of the cost of the hang be donated to the“Friends of Merchants Mill Pond State Park” or some other worthy group (This can be discussed by the group and voted on at the hang). Figure raffle tickets will cost $5 each or 5 for$20 and will be sold at the hang.

Any interest in a Gear Swap …..???

Vendors are welcome to attend the hang. Some of the Mecks from the Hammeck Company plan to attend and I am sure they will have some new toys to show off.

Note..This is a family friendly event. No alcohol is allowed per Park rules

Link to Google park map..
    https://www.google.com/maps/preview#...51!3d36.433127

This park is located in the North East Corner of eastern North Carolina.This is very convenient to hangers living in Eastern NC and SouthEast VA

At the drive in Group Camp Grounds
    Site# 1 is reserved for Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights
    Site # 2 is reserved for Friday and Saturday night

Site # 1 can handle apporx 25+ hangers
    Site # 2 can handle aprrox 15+hangers

Each site is allowed 50 campers
    Each site has 2 fire rings and 3 picnic tables
    Water is available at Site # 1 and the Bathhouse
    Parking is available next to Site # 1
    There are rest rooms ( hot and coldwater ) and a shower ( the shower stall is huge, larger than most home showers). Hopefully we will not have any scouts fixing BBQ Pig in the shower this time.

Bear Fortune Cookies ( tents ) are welcomed. Come on down and learn about hammocks. I usually bring my extra gear to share.

If you have hammock stands ( Turtle Dog Stands, Hammeck Stands ect, please bring them to share in case we get more hangers than the trees will support).

I am planning on bring 4 stands and will share 2 of them.

Getting there,The group campgrounds are located in the South West corner of the park. The entrance to the Group Sites is located on the Left if heading North or on the Right if going South on Mill Pond Rd and is South of the turn to the Rangers Station. I will post a large yellow sign again to mark the turn off. Even knowing where it is, I have driven by the turn off several times.

GPS for gate to group sites... N 36 25.542 W 07641.928
    drive down the dirt road about 500 ft.... parking to the Left.

How much.. Recommend at least a $15 donation per person for the weekend to cover cost of campgrounds and related costs. I have already paid for the sites upfront. It will cost $250 for the camp sites for the weekend. If we collect more that that then we can use the excess for firewood, food and or as a deposit towards the next hang.You can pay via Paypay to gswheat@ gmail.com. Please make a note that you are paying for the hang and use the “Send money to friends and family”.

Activities...
    Canoeing and Kayaking ( the park rents canoes and kayaks if you do not have one )
    Fishing (you must have a NC fresh water fishing license,they are not sold at park)
    Hiking.. several trails with the longest being 7 miles.
    Photography opportunities
    Spot the alligators(yes there are gators here)
    Afternoon hammock studies (taking a nap in your hammock)
    Check out other hangers setups (please ask the owner's permission before getting into their hammock)
    Telling tall tales and or out right lies ( not sure if there is a difference) and bad jokes
    Games...The Terminator has some games she plans to bring.

This is an isolated State Park...The town of Sunbury,is about 5 miles east of the park and has a small grocery store,Dollar General, a couple of gas stations and a restaurant. The town of Gates is about 9 miles north west and has a small grocery store and gas station. The closest towns, Ahoskie, Murfreesboro, Edenton, Elizebeth City NC, Franklin and Suffolk VA are about a 35+ minute drive. There is a Walmart located at Ahoskie. Franklin and Suffolk.

Group Meals.....

A chance to break out those trusty Dutch Ovens and make your favorite...
    (Open to discussion, ideas ect...Halloween Theme...). I am sure Hotlips will plan some good eats for us.

FireWood …..

If anyone can bring fire wood it would be a help.

Never hung before or new to hanging....

If you are new to hammock hanging and or have never camped out in a hammock before but want to try it, then please let us know. Many of us have extra gear we will loan out but it will be on a first come first serve basis.

If you are new to hammock hanging and are bringing some new DIY gear and have not tested it before attending the hang then please let us know so a more experience hanger can check out your gear and make sure you will be ok. We had a new hanger bring a DIY UQ to a hang that was not warm enough for the temperatures at night and ended up sleeping in their car the first night. Its no fun being wet and or cold at night and we want you to have a good time.

This Park does have lots of poisonous snakes and ticks so be aware. Hopefully it will be cool enough that it not be an issue. We have spotted snakes but they have not been a problem. There were several ticks getting friendly with some of the hangers. At the last hang we did have a raccoon getting into one of the trash cans at night after everyone went to sleep.

Drive Times to park (approximate )
    From Norfolk VA.................1hr
    From Morehead City NC....3 hrs
    From Raleigh NC..................2.5 hrs

I will be placing the large yellow “Hammock Hang” sign on the Hwy across from the turn off to the group site. You will drive down a dirt road a few hundred feet and come to a big sign. Group Site 1will be on your right.
    Last edited by gunner76; 05-31-2015 at 20:05.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Envy S
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Just returned from the Smoked Butt Hang! Already looking forward to the return trip to the beautiful state of NC. (Missed you and Terminator)
    Hammeck - Hammocks, stands, and accessories, made by the Meck family.

Like us on Facebook!

Hammock
    Netty/ Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    gnome dome/mctarp
    Insulation
    Incubator/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    You know we'll mark this on the calendar. Missed you at Smoke Butt.
    If you don't like my cooking there's always MRE's.***Hotlips

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Missed you at Smoke Butt
    We wanted to attend but the tourist have landed in force and we had to work this weekend. The Terminator is working the night shift ( 2 AM till 11 AM ) and I am usually working 1 PM to 9 PM.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Trying something different and sent an announcement to NC Our State magazine to promote the event. Will have to wait and see if they run it. Doesn't cost anything so figured I would give it a try and see what happens,

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    We wanted to attend but the tourist have landed in force and we had to work this weekend. The Terminator is working the night shift ( 2 AM till 11 AM ) and I am usually working 1 PM to 9 PM.
    Yep all the tourists traps are now open. We have been shipping heavy to the coastal areas last week. If all works out we will be there. I hope we can pick up the radio station Bob 93.3 at Merchants Mill, they do a great job on Halloween Night.
    Straight out of Clayton.

Most physical hike: Grandfather Mountain, NC. Aug 13.

I don't need to make my pack lighter. I need to make my (_*_) lighter.

Hammock
    Thunderbird11ft DL
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    20 UGQ Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Man i really hate to miss another one but not sure I will be able to get to this one.
    Psalm 50:1 The Mighty One, God, the Lord, speaks and calls the earth from the rising of the sun to its setting.
    Old Dominion Hangers: Secretary
    First Annual Powhatan Hang and Work - April 17-19, 2015

Hammock
    Netty/ Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    gnome dome/mctarp
    Insulation
    Incubator/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Unmighty View Post
    Man i really hate to miss another one but not sure I will be able to get to this one.
    We'll do trick or treating at the hammocks, bring the kids. You gotta come. I haven't seen you in a year.
    If you don't like my cooking there's always MRE's.***Hotlips

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images
    Looking forward to the event. Thanks, Gunner.
    "I go because it irons out the wrinkles in my soul." -- Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Thanks, Gunner.
    You are still in charge of alligator wrestling

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast