Hammock
    Wanderlust SE Robin's Egg Blue
    Tarp
    Wanderlust Special
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Ok, spoke with one of the Rangers today and Pocahontas SP DOES allow hammock camping! The Ranger recommends sites 1-56 as they have lots of trees. Similarly to Powhatan, the limit is 6 people to a campsite. We cannot reserve a group site and the sites are first come-first served. He said someone should come early to make sure we get the sites we want. Having said that, he told me that sites 1-56 are not as popular as others because they are at the back of the campground. No hanging in the woods is allowed. Campers must stay in close proximity to their sites. There are a few more rules, but nothing unusual.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    JRB univeral
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Why can Va state parks not try to accommodate groups at all? NC state parks do a great job of it!
    Oh, wait, I forgot, Virginia State parks could care less about the citizens they are supposed to serve. This is why they have a "disabled veterans pass" which require 100% total disability (bedridden) and you must pay to even park at the fire roads now!
    Sorry, I am just getting sick and tired of trying to work with an outfit who seems bent on NOT accommodating anyone and doing nothng but having all these "hoops" you must jump through to have a simple event at the park.
    Old Dominion Hangers
    KM4COF
    VA-4th Annual NOVA Hang-Nov 6-8 PWFP

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    WB straps
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyR View Post
    Why can Va state parks not try to accommodate groups at all? NC state parks do a great job of it!
    Eh, depends on the park...honestly Pocahontas has never really impressed me much, either on the staffing front or the accommodations front (though I guess if you have an RV it's a great place to go).

This is why they have a "disabled veterans pass" which require 100% total disability (bedridden) and you must pay to even park at the fire roads now! Oh, wait, I forgot, Virginia State parks could care less about the citizens they are supposed to serve.
    That topic came up recently when I was talking with a friend who works at McGuire's VA, apparently it's now possible to have 100% disability without being bedridden...something about a change where now PTSD can potentially increase the percentage of disability that a physical injury would normally be considered (depending on the severity of the PTSD), and some other change with regards to traumatic brain injuries and what percentage they're considered to be.

Sorry, I am just getting sick and tired of trying to work with an outfit who seems bent on NOT accommodating anyone and doing nothng but having all these "hoops" you must jump through to have a simple event at the park.
    I'm trying to draft up an email to blast out to all the state parks that are listed as having campsites, to get a better idea of which parks can handle groups/will reserve to groups and are hammock friendly (with an explanation and pictures of actual hammocks like we use, not the chains/eye-bolts/nails stereotype); having Grayson Highlands and Powhatan as examples of past successful hangs should help, especially since they can contact the rangers at those parks to get their perspective and first-hand experiences working with us. Hopefully this'll make planning events a bit easier, since hopefully we can know which parks to avoid wasting time on.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB univeral
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Yes, The VA now has the "Working 100%" which allows non "bedridden" status but Virginia State Parks and DGIF does not accept that one, on "100% Total disability." I have some friends, returned from Iraq and Afgahanistan, with 70ish%, who do not qualify. Meanwhile, the federal standard is, if you are getting ANY disability from the VA, you're in. One extreme to the other. Sheesh! A couple of years ago, Virginia officially made the standard "70%," only they never actually implemented it. If you go to apply, they still only accept 100% total. Ask your representative though and he will swear it is "70%!"
    Ok, I will stop on that horse now. As for the parks allowing us in in groups. Yes, Powhatan worked with us, within their capabilities. I still has to turn hangers away because we were limited to only 36 people and that was not fun. I do not know about Grayson but EVERY state park, which I have checked with, has this limitation and 36 seems to be the maximum cut off for some reason. I am sure that, somewhere, there must be one or two with a higher cut off, but not in central Virginia, apparently. The really funny thing is, I have been in Pocohantas and personally seen larger grouops camping in there. I guess they knew the right people or something. I am just getting a little fed up with state parks here in Virginia. In NC they have nice Group sites which accomodate...well, GROUPS. Large groups. No problem. Why can we not have the same? I am thinking about checking with places like Amelia Family campground. I am not to thrilled with them but hey? Better than nothing. I also know of a river outfitter with a site along the james we might be able to get, I am thinking for a winter hang, when they do not have to many people floating the river. I will look into that.
    Old Dominion Hangers
    KM4COF

Just a thought to add. If one of the group is a BSA leader, you may be able to get into local BSA scout camps, especially in the off season. Each camp may differ on availability and requirements. My boys have been to Camp Brady Saunders, East of Richmond on the James. Its not my Council, but worth a look. Have the Hang go in conjunction with a local troop as an introduction to Hanging and should be no problem gettying in.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB univeral
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Very possible Yojimbo. There is a camp right up the road from me that looks big. I cannot remember the name of it though. It is in Goochland and, I hear it is really nice.

Overall, I am open to suggestions for the fall hang. I have gotten nothing back from federal/BRP and get the distinct impression that they are not interested in groups which do not involve giant "RV's."
    State parks have been less than inviting also. Anyone know of any private land?
    Hmmm, I just thought of something......I am going to try. Still looking for suggestions though.
    Old Dominion Hangers
    KM4COF

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB univeral
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Well, I emailed DCR yesterday mornign. Explained the situation to them and asked their advice. I have heard nothing back. yay
    Old Dominion Hangers
    KM4COF

Hammock
    Wanderlust SE Robin's Egg Blue
    Tarp
    Wanderlust Special
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Well, I emailed DCR yesterday mornign. Explained the situation to them and asked their advice. I have heard nothing back. yay
    Hope they respond. What about some of the campgrounds in the National Park. Is that too far for our group? Cost-prohibitive?

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB univeral
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by runningwithscissors22 View Post
    Hope they respond. What about some of the campgrounds in the National Park. Is that too far for our group? Cost-prohibitive?
    So far, I have gotten nothing back from the BRP NPs. I need to check with some of the others. I have also received no response from state parks.
    Old Dominion Hangers
    KM4COF

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB univeral
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Ok, Jumped straight to fall, just had too much going on in summer, with the job I was, unsuccessfully, trying for and all.
    Here is the thread for the fall planning.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...69#post1493169
    Old Dominion Hangers
    KM4COF

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234