Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Unless it is so hot out that a quilt is not needed and the bugs are truly chomping for blood there is no need for a DL hammock IMO.
    UQP could certainly serve as a second layer of protection and permethrin is a answer as well.

If your using Down quilts I would stay with a SL hammock hands down and manage the bugs as said.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

I was setting up my new Sheltowee UQ yesterday, and had my daughter laying in it while I adjusted it. She got hot and was complaining, so I pulled the quilt out and let it hang beside her, and she said "ahhhhhhh". She was instantly more comfortable. We live in Louisiana though, and I don't know if those of you who use an UQ all the time live in Canada or what. We have DL Multicam, so it's 1.9 outer, and 1.1 inner layer. I didn't think of the Permethrin, but I'm concerned about the chemicals for health. Good idea if you don't mind though.

Quote Originally Posted by cjayflo View Post
    I have never been bitten through a hammock by a bug, that I know of. I don't understand why everyone is so concerned about it. I use a underquilt 99% of the time I am in my hammock and I treat them with permethrin, no bug bites.
    I choose the single layer 1.7 and I like it.
    Consider yourself lucky. First week in my Explorer Deluxe I was bitten over 30 times on the back and calves. It was the middle of July so I didn't have an underquilt. So after a lot of real world scratchin' and itchin', it was a concern for me. HYOH

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    Using just an uq protector will help keep the bit out and also be found just enough dead air space to keep the chill away as well. Look at 2QZQ for protector

Quote Originally Posted by Canoefor2 View Post
    Using just an uq protector will help keep the bit out and also be found just enough dead air space to keep the chill away as well. Look at 2QZQ for protector
    Canoefor2,
    I have ordered an ucp from 2QZQ. It should be here at the end of the week. How are things in Blount County? I grew up between Maryville and South Knoxville.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1/R.R.
    Tarp
    UGQ Custom/13ft WD
    Insulation
    UGQ RENEGADE/ZEPP
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutch
    Images
    Backpack is not easy on anything,if you are just hanging a single is fine.The hammocks are not cheep and most will be keeping them for years. I have a XLC DL for backpacking is no doubt the way to go for all kinds of reasons.
    I have found on very cold backpacking trips I bring a pad and UQ it is just better for me I don't get any cold spots .This also let's me use a 3/4 UQ on very cold weather .Also if you have problems with calf soreness a pad helps with a flat lay .
    The ware and tear that hammocks take I will always carry 4oz more ,I use my hammock as a chair and bed ,when it is a chair some time I have things hooked to my belt or something in my pocket and no worries with a DL and never have had a bug bite through .
    Then there is the pet I don't backpack with my dog cos he is older now but if I get a pup it will be with me and there for just a other reason to carry the 4oz.and to have a DL .
    But I think you will love the one you ordered ...
    Last edited by Cave Man; 06-06-2015 at 12:16.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I went with the 1.7sl and am very happy. Use an UQ and tend to go out in cooler weather when bugs tend to be less of an issue. Didn't see the need to carry around the extra layer for my use.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12