About to order, general questions regarding shipping and hammock

Take it easy on me as it is my first post here, if I broke a rule or something just say so and I'll do my best to rectify the situation.

So, I was browsing the internet the other day and while checking outdoor gear, I saw hammock camping and one thing led to another and I just need one....

First a little about me, I am 6.15' so most hammock also don't fit("long" version needed), I am about 160-165lbs, from Canada, mainly need a hammock for solo camping(I have a 2 person tent), 3 season but might get into winter camping in a year or 2(expensive...).

Now, I first thought about ordering a Hennessy hammock direct from their website but since I am in Canada and the price in USD, it costs a lot (373USD to CAD = 464$ for a Exped UL with Hex tarp).

After finding this forum(great btw! I am amazed to find a so active community on such a precise subject, also very helpful info), I took another look at my options and the WBBB seems like it would be better for less(347USD to CAD = 432$ for a WBBB XLC SL 1.7 with whoopies(got to have those, looks amazing) and hex tarp(Edge)). But, Hennessy is based in Canada while WBBB is based in USA, I don't want any bad luck with the border.

So, 1st question: I heard that American made goods ordered from USA get a "free pass" to Canada because of a trade agreement, am I right or wrong? What final cost should I expect(for the WBBB)?
    -Seems its very unlikely I will be hit with surprise fees.

2nd: Will I need a tree bark strap or is it included with the hammock(with the whoopies)?
    -Found it does include them with the whoopies.

3rd: Should I jump on the winter topcover now if I plan to winter camp in a year or 2? Could it be ordered separately at a later time?
    -Can't be ordered later, still debating getting it or not.

4th: Should I ask for anything special in the order instructions(beside the combo deal)?

5th: Any Canadian experiences for hammock gear shipped cross border would be nice, especially if its from Quebec(where I am).

Lastly, I am not opposed to used gear but I do prefer new gear when I start a new hobby, so used deals are welcome but I am not sure I would jump on them.
    Last edited by JeanCoutu; 06-03-2015 at 12:58.

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    Not to try and steer you away from either hammock you mentioned, but I'll throw another vendor suggestion your way...as if the options aren't already countless.

The WBBB is a very impressive piece of gear and I'd put this high on my list as well. I'm sure if you reached out to Brandon, the owner, he'd be able to provide a lot of the answers to shipping questions. His line is very widespread and I'm sure he's handled sending them across the border.
    I'm not familiar with the Hennessy line and only know what I've read about them on these forums.

I'm also completely unfamiliar with any shipping issues or headaches over the border, but if they do exist, I came across a Canadian cottage vendor in my research and the pictures of his gear looks great. I stumbled across their work while looking for flecktarn camo gear. They might be worth contacting if you're looking for something customized to your needs.

Again, no experience with them, but thought I'd share in case it helped.

http://www.littleshopofhammocks.com/
    Last edited by Eidson; 06-02-2015 at 10:30.

Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I would order a hammock body and suspension from www.dutchwaregear.com.
    http://www.dutchwaregear.com/netless-hammocks.html Choose your hammock body, and suspension system.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    For US goods You will likely get dinged for Taxes PST GST or HST and the near 10$ Canada post fee.....Assuming it is shipped USPS. DO NOT USE any other courier.

Buy the Hammock (with integrated bug net or separate depending on the Hammock of choice) a full size tarp like the WB Superfly or HH Hex and insulation under the Hammock like a Down UQ being the best...if your using Pads get a DL hammock.

If you go HH you will save the Canada Post fee

As the CDN $$ goes ...well you'll save coin when you fill your Vehicle
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    Also stumbled across this sticky in the forum which, at a glance, discusses a lot of the shipping process and issues across the border....

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...endor-s-Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Eidson View Post
    Took a look and it does look amazing, there are no specs on weight and it does cost a bit more than WB but the quilt section look very very interesting, bookmarked for future purchase. Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Eidson View Post
    Also stumbled across this sticky in the forum which, at a glance, discusses a lot of the shipping process and issues across the border....

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...endor-s-Thread
    Just looked the whole post and it seems like its more for supplies than actual equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by bkrgi View Post
    For US goods You will likely get dinged for Taxes PST GST or HST and the near 10$ Canada post fee.....Assuming it is shipped USPS. DO NOT USE any other courier.

Buy the Hammock (with integrated bug net or separate depending on the Hammock of choice) a full size tarp like the WB Superfly or HH Hex and insulation under the Hammock like a Down UQ being the best...if your using Pads get a DL hammock.

If you go HH you will save the Canada Post fee
    The prices I included in the 1st post includes shipping, just not the taxes in the case of the WBBB but I probably won't go with HH since its less value for more or pretty much the same cost. Just need to confirm the cross border cost. Also, yes the USPS is the only logical option for shipping from US to CAN, but still trying to avoid unforeseen costs(100$ more would be a bit too much). The single layer suits me better I think, while I probably won't buy an underquilt for the first year, it is still very possible to use a pad in one(shugemery vids are very helpful) and a sleeping bag will do the job just fine for the top quilt until I see the need for it. If I trust a crossborder cost calculator, it should cost 48.45$ of taxes and 0$ of duty(NAFTA). But again, just looking for a sort of confirmation on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    I would order a hammock body and suspension from www.dutchwaregear.com.
    http://www.dutchwaregear.com/netless-hammocks.html Choose your hammock body, and suspension system.
    I'm looking for an integrated net hammock, their gear selection is nice so bookmarked for future reference thanks!
    Last edited by JeanCoutu; 06-02-2015 at 12:45.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    I have yet to get any Duty charges assuming it is made in the USA

You will not be hit with any surprise charges as long as it is shipped USPS. Only fee then is under 10 bucks for Canada Post to process it.
    Its when you have it shipped UPS or ???? that you end up with the big surprise brokerage fee, so make sure it is shipped USPS.

And sounds like your on track with your thought process to get what you need.

Happy Hanging soon
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

• + New Posts