Hammock
    Various DIY
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by T- Minus View Post
    I can take some pictures in the morning to demo the set ups if you like.
    I would like. I'm stuck on figuring out how you use the second dutch hook! I can think of a bunch of ways that a hook and a flyz could be used together, but combinations involving two hooks are eluding me.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MiriRose View Post
    Interesting! Where in the taut line hitch are you adding the wraps? With the first two wraps or with the half hitch that it finishes off with or both?
    If you add a wrap to the half hitch you've effectively tied a prussik, fyi. Typically you add a wrap to the side that holds the load. Prussiks are bi-directional (they will hold with a load applied going either direction. so you add a wrap to both sides. When using a loop to tie it this is done automatically), taut-line's are mono-directional (they hold wiht a load applied only 1 direction. add a wrap to the side with multiple wraps already).

Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    Interesting! Where in the taut line hitch are you adding the wraps? With the first two wraps or with the half hitch that it finishes off with or both?
    I just went and checked and for some reason I have the regular 2 wraps, and then 3 on the finishing side. They've never slipped. That's odd though.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I go for the absolute minimum - Dutch hook on one end and tarp flyz or fleaz on the other end of a Zing-It 1.75 mm CRL. Brandon likes a non-continuous ridgeline.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I did that too for a bit, the smaller Dutch hook holds the line and don't slip off unlike the hook on the flyz, its great for a fast set up when its raining without the worry of getting your tarp soaked or dropped in the dirt. Looking at HG cuben fiber snakeskin.Op4 002 closer view.jpgOp4 003 another view.jpg also with the two split eyes having dutch hooks on each I can use the extra line as a clothes line when its raining.

Hammock
    Various DIY
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by T- Minus View Post
    here are pic's of set up 1&2
    Thanks! I understand what you're doing now. How useful do you find it in practice to have the lines separate from the tarp and to be able to start from the tree or the tarp when setting up? As I understand what you've been saying, those are the advantages of your arrangement compared to arrangements using fewer pieces of Dutch bling, so I'm curious to know how much they make a difference in practice.

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Thanks! I understand what you're doing now. How useful do you find it in practice to have the lines separate from the tarp and to be able to start from the tree or the tarp when setting up? As I understand what you've been saying, those are the advantages of your arrangement compared to arrangements using fewer pieces of Dutch bling, so I'm curious to know how much they make a difference in practice.
    I started with just tying the line to the tree and tarp, never could get it as tight as I liked, getting it untied was even worse.
    watched a bunch of vids on YouTube Dutch This Dutch that...and alot of thank you everybuddy's later (I tease you Dutch you rock!) it's all about what's good for you.
    I like options and for under an ounce to even a few grams this was the most useful to me. Sometimes I leave the lines on, sometimes off, depending on time, weather, and agenda for the day. Never have to worry about a head end or a foot end on my tarp its grab and go. I can get my lines super tight and secure in seconds and never have to worry about slippage, weight, adjustments on the fly. what tree's I can and can't use tying knots, and for a few bucks and under 3/4 of an ounce for my ridgeline setup 4 dutch hooks 2 flyz 25' red lash it and 13' of grey dyneema I would say its hard to beat. Sure I could save 2 grams and just do option 4. but I can do it all and more I made a offset tarp set up but can't get it on here. I don't like the CTR takes too long to set up and sliding your tarp back and forth can wear out your lines, my example was the no knots CTR. You could always tie a lie to two trees and clip your tarp to two pursik's. I use option one and 2 as I feed the tarp out the bag as I hang it. These hooks are tiny small. using them now I doubt they would ever break, but if they did I also don't have to leave the woods for a fix to reorder and wait out at the mailbox for it to arrive. And last but not least my Shopping with http://www.dutchwaregear.com/ has been
    great.
    Last edited by T- Minus; 06-03-2015 at 14:20.

Hammock
    Various DIY
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    T-Minus, I'm not suggesting you should change what you're doing, if you like it then that's great and all that really matters. However, for anyone else who's reading this, I think that the arrangement that hutzelbein demonstrates here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ding-more-linehas the same advantages with fewer pieces of bling. It could be done with Fleaz or Flyz instead of Stingerz if you don't mind leaving hardware attached to your tarp when you pack it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast