Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    My feed end up at the very end of the hammock, but I also laugh in the face of conventional wisdom and hang my foot end lower. I just can't get comfortable with my feet elevated. Someone who actually hangs the blackbird correctly most likely won't have my problem

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    It is certainly approaching the MWUQ's lowest rating. And 11*F was also the lowest I have pushed the Pea Pod ( in a Speer hammock, no cold feet), below it's 20*F rating. But, I did add a space blanket on that test.

What type of leg pad were you using, how thick?
    I was most definitely pushing the limits of the sleeping bag I was using (I dont want to repeat for safety)...my feet just got cold the soonest...
    I was using a 3/8" CCF from GG

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    the whole idea of the footbox is so your feet don't press up against the sides of the hammock, there should be plenty of room to scoot up toward the head end of the hammock a couple of inches unless someone is pushing the max height (6'6") there should be no compression of your sleeping bag/tq except under your heels. i've felt my feet pressing into the sides of other hammocks that had a lack of foot room, and that could cause compression of insualtion, but the footbox on the bb is roomy enough to where your feet shouldn't be pressing up against the end of it. if they are, scoot toward the head end a few inches to allow the insulation room to loft
    huh? you mean I could have scooted back and pulled my feet in?
    Thanks Mr Obvious...I should have thought of that myself!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dstenberg1 View Post
    One comment, I put the Yeti on and moved it around to the correct position and the bungee chord rubs on my left shoulder. It is a little annoying, but it feels tight on my left arm. The quilt seems to lock in place great, but the bungee chord seems tight and digs in my arm. I tried to move it around, but I wasn't sure if I had it in place correctly.

Any suggestions?

Oh, the construction on both the Blackbird and Yeti are awesome! I do wish it came with carabiners, but I ordered up some dutch clips to go with it.
    it shouldn't be digging into your arm, the shockcord should rest several inches above your arm, simply grab the edge and position it so it's a few inches above your left arm/shoulder.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks Brandon. I have been messing with the hammock and underquilt and figured out what i was doing wrong. Now I am enjoying the comfort.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images
    How well does the MW3 fit a BB? Are there any issues involved with getting it correctly hung?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
    How well does the MW3 fit a BB? Are there any issues involved with getting it correctly hung?
    It fits just fine. I had zero issues getting it to work perfectly.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    brandon and others: i only conservatively rated my quilt, because some users may be fine at 25° and others may be good only down to 35°
    women sleep colder - others have circulation issues - and going by Thru-Hikers chart, 2.0 inches of loft on a top quilt translates to a 30° rating. although your mileage may vary, i can easily push the standard te-wa below 30 degrees. also, its hard for me to compare vertical baffles with horizontal baffles since they act in different ways.
    the great thing about today's market, are the choices.. choose wisely!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    One thing that has not been mentioned (and a major plus in my opinion) is how easy it is to vent the Yeti from inside the hammock. I don't own a JRB quilt, but I can't see how it would be easy to mess with it from inside the hammock.

On the yeti, you actually have two options... one is to do what Brandon recommends and just slide it more toward the head end to create a gap. I've found this works, but only to an extent. Many times I go to bed hot after hiking all day, eating dinner, setting up camp, etc. but know that it will be cold in the middle of the night. When this happens I set up my Yeti so that it is entirely under the shelf (ie: both shock cords are on the same side of the hammock). With the quilt hung next to the hammock like this, it provides virtually no insulation, but when I get cold in the middle of the night, I can just reach out and pull the near shock cord under the hammock, which deploys the quilt in exactly the right spot.

Another benefit of this method is that it allows you to hang your quilt and let it breathe on nights when it's not needed. That's probably not a big deal on a weekend hike, but if you're covering a lot of miles and temperatures, it keeps the loft up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345