Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    I think that it's not fitting correctly. 6 oz should get you below freezing. My 3.5 will get me to around 8C.
    Check that it's not getting overly compressed by trying to compensate for the usual air gap under the leg. The use of triangle thingees and changing the attachment points to bring the quilt up may help. If this is on a HH hammock or integrated hammock and you use loops on the UQ to the tie outs of the hammock you may be flattening the insulation if the UQ isn't wide enough. Have someone lay in the hammock and you feel around in between to see if there is enough space between the two.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    6 oz should be better than that at 14c. I use 5 oz and 30f doesn't bother me.

Is the quilt rectangular? My DIY rectangular quilt does well with channel and gathered end hammocks, but not as well on my HH's.

I note that you're not using shock cord on the sides, you may want to switch out to shock cord.
    Oh yes, if it's on a hennessey a rectangular won't fit tight if the pullouts are used. UQs need to be cut and darted to fit to the hennessey bottom. If yours is rectangular try removing the pullouts and seeing if it fits better.

Hammock
    HH exped asym zip
    Tarp
    DIY "Penta-tarp"
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex
    Suspension
    G-clips, rings
    I don't use the pullouts much in cold weather, since they also interfere with the UQP/windshield. If I use them at all, its to increase air flow in hot weather. I had never really understood how the triangle thingys were supposed to work, but I could easily work something up, its well worth trying. The idea is that instead of being on a severe angle, the UQ suspension is nearer to vertical?

I have not noticed the sides flopping away from me, hence why I didn't add cord to them. Could this be a sign that I'm compensating somewhere else at a detriment to the system? When I lay in it, I can reach around the side and feel about an inch of loft between the outer skin and myself. I have been trying to "bias" the end cords to allow an asymmetrical lay, and I think it worked not too badly. At this point I'm kinda expecting to get it all right, and feel like I'm in a furnace!

Thanks for the help guys, I know its all info thats here on the forums in other threads, but I appreciate the ideas and feedback.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    L
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadgetgeek View Post
    I don't use the pullouts much in cold weather, since they also interfere with the UQP/windshield. If I use them at all, its to increase air flow in hot weather. I had never really understood how the triangle thingys were supposed to work, but I could easily work something up, its well worth trying. The idea is that instead of being on a severe angle, the UQ suspension is nearer to vertical?

I have not noticed the sides flopping away from me, hence why I didn't add cord to them. Could this be a sign that I'm compensating somewhere else at a detriment to the system? When I lay in it, I can reach around the side and feel about an inch of loft between the outer skin and myself. I have been trying to "bias" the end cords to allow an asymmetrical lay, and I think it worked not too badly. At this point I'm kinda expecting to get it all right, and feel like I'm in a furnace!

Thanks for the help guys, I know its all info thats here on the forums in other threads, but I appreciate the ideas and feedback.
    Yes. Angle is less sharp. Still definitely not vertical, but not nearly as sharp. U til I made the adjustment I had an air gap dead center that I couldn't get rid of. It seems counter intuitive, but it worked for me. I'm guessing you have an integrated bugnet, so get a friend to slide their hand between hammock and tarp while you are I. It. They should be able to feel any gaps.

Hammock
    HH exped asym zip
    Tarp
    DIY "Penta-tarp"
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex
    Suspension
    G-clips, rings
    So far I've added some "triangle thingie-minis" to the system. Pretty much a prussic loop with a mitten hook on it. prussic on one suspension line, over the ridgeline, and clip onto the other. Main idea is the simplicity of attaching the quilt, and getting a range of adjustment to work with. fell right asleep. I'm starting to get some furnace action going on, which bodes well, I only woke up after about 45 minutes when I started to feel a chill on top, which is normal for me, even in relatively warm conditions without a blanket of some kind.

also added a short bit of shock cord and a mitten hook to the net side pullout, as a net keeper.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12