GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    Bears need to associate humans with pain.
    True. Hooray for all those who run dogs on bears. Swear that's what keeps 'em so polite hereabouts.

Once saw a report that rangers at Yellowstone harass bears with non-lethal slugs.
    Once saw a vid where a sow grizzly with cubs nearby was raiding campsites. Ranger hit her in the thigh with a rubber bullet fired from an M79 (40mm grenade launcher). Spun her around 90 degrees. One of those in the chest would probably have killed most people. She got up and charged straight at him. His hands were shaking but he got another round in. This time hit her in the chest. Could hear a big Woof!! as it impacted. She fell flat on her face. As he was trying to get another one in the pipe, she got up, looked at him, then turned and walked away. If he had missed on that second shot, she would have mauled and probably killed him.

Think of that next time we think our job is tough, hey?
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Once saw a vid where a sow grizzly with cubs nearby was raiding campsites. Ranger hit her in the thigh with a rubber bullet fired from an M79 (40mm grenade launcher). Spun her around 90 degrees. One of those in the chest would probably have killed most people. She got up and charged straight at him. His hands were shaking but he got another round in. This time hit her in the chest. Could hear a big Woof!! as it impacted. She fell flat on her face. As he was trying to get another one in the pipe, she got up, looked at him, then turned and walked away. If he had missed on that second shot, she would have mauled and probably killed him.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    True. Hooray for all those who run dogs on bears. Swear that's what keeps 'em so polite hereabouts.

Thing is -- what did the cubs learn about humans from that?

Man is the apex predator because of our sizable brain. *We should use it.*

We will not win every battle but something has changed since the day we hunted them down for fun and these politically correct times.

Once saw a guy back down a bear in Shenandoah just because he was big and confident. All around him picnickers were losing their sandwiches, watermelon, and iced tea. But he stood his ground.

Animals have a keen sense of cost/benefit.

Survival of the species is the most powerful instinct so one might need a grenade launcher to stop of bear sow.

But under most circumstances we can dole out more pain than a bear if we make full use of our capacities.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Amen, preach it brother.
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Top & UQ
    Nothing will stop me from getting out there, the most dangerous part is still driving to my destination.[/QUOTE]

So true
    One is too many, a thousand is never enough.......

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Rust View Post
    CS 84 is several miles up Hazel Creek from Fontana Lake. The only access is either by boat or a pretty long walk; it is not accessible directly from any road, which is where most of the 9 million visitors are going to be found. There would not be any McDonald's in the vicinity. The only other sites that are nearby are all campsites with the same accessibility issues. This bear most likely became habituated at this site or one of the other sites very nearby. Again the issue may be regulating sites and keeping all the food/people in the same places. Bears are going to go where they can find food the easiest--and the easiest sometimes is where the people pack it in.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltLQWDzoVHA

July 20, 2015

The trails are closed in the Hazel Creek section of the park.

Park officials say Saturday night at about 10:30 p.m., a 16-year-old male from Ohio was pulled from his hammock by a bear.

The incident happened at campsite 84 approximately four and a half miles from the Fontana Lake shoreline.

According to officials, the victim's father was able to drive the bear away from the campsite.

The victim and his father hiked to the lakeshore and were transported to a boat dock by campers.

Graham County emergency service workers took the victim to a landing zone and he was flown to Mission Hospital in Asheville at 3 a.m. Sunday morning.

The young man is in stable condition after sustaining multiple injuries including laceration to his head.

Hazel Creek Trail, Jenkins Ridge Trail, Bone Valley Trail, Cold Spring Gap Trail and campsites 82 through 88 are closed.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    We have bear hunters around here, and bears run away when they see us. I feel privileged when I get to see one. I'll probably never hike in the Smokies because they don't allow dogs. Too bad.

Hammock
    Netty
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/ Burrow
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    We have bear hunters around here, and bears run away when they see us. I feel privileged when I get to see one. I'll probably never hike in the Smokies because they don't allow dogs. Too bad.
    In my opinion there are too many bears here in the smokies and the fact that you have to use permitted established campsites just makes it worse. They learn pretty quick were they can get food and garbage left by not so clean campers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    “They learn pretty quick were they can get food"

That's it, when bears associat food with humans without any disincentive they learn fast were to get an easy meal. Here in north Cali they have regulated hunting to the point were the black bear population is at a fifty year high. I live on 80 acres around eureka and have black bears in my yard a couple times a month threw the summer. I had to shoot one last year, it stomped,bite my dog(which ended up dying from her wounds) I shot and mist with a 12 gauge slug. The dang thing cam back two weeks later and started eating my chickens. Ate over 20 before I shot it, it was on top of my coop at 3:00pm with my other two dogs barking at it. I don't like killing things I don't intend to eat, even then I don't in joy it, but it had to be done. I have three young kids that play in the yard all the time. Every one of my neighbors have bear problems.
    Last edited by Carrico; 06-20-2016 at 23:40.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Insulation
    Diy oq, uq, apex
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    100 percent not factual. Not worth a debate. So let's stick to the facts.in relation to the no such thing as a human kill.

• + New Posts
  • Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast