DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR

Topquilt or Underquilt? Cold weather camping

I currently use a 3 season set up of a 3s Jarbidge with foot pad, and a Ozark trail Walmart converted topquilt (32) in my double layer 1.1 blackbird with a superfly. I'm a warm sleeper and actually think my topquilt may be better than a 32 degree for me. So now I want to do winter camping so I want to know which quilt to upgrade to stay warm. I first thought duh! Underquilt. But I could just easily slide a reflectix between the WBBB layers. Then I thought I could just add layers and sleep in my down jacket with my new down vest under it. Then I was thinking will i even be camping in 0 degree weather that often (northern, IL so maybe). Now I think the whole thing is beyond me. I need your help. Give me your wisdom oh HF members!! (Bow twice)
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Reflectix is a vapor barrier and should only be used below you not over you so moisture can evaporate. There is a good chance that using reflectix will work but there is a risk of condensation. When The Terminator and I first started hammock camping we were using identical pads walyworld pads with our DL BB's. I did not have a problem with condensation but The Terminator did. We quickly switched to UQs.

If you do go with the Reflectix, I recommend testing it under controlled conditions. The down jacket and or vest will help but remember that the down under you will be compressed and will not help insulate you.

I have a 20 degree 7/8 length UGQ with 2 ounces of over stuff and it has taken me down to single digit temps and I believe it can take to below 0 degrees temps without a problem and I am a cold sleeper these days as I am on blood thinners and I get cold very easy. When it is that cold I am sleeping with my socks, blue jeans and a t-shirt. I do not wear anything else.

You could also consider getting a 4S Jarbidge.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm wondering if your confidence is based on experience, or best guess. It sounds like best guess.

Your setup certainly sounds extremely skimpy, especially for Illinois. Personally, I gave up on Reflectix at around 22* F - there's just too much condensation for me. Your down jacket and vest will compress, so they won't be worth much, especially underneath.

If you want to do winter camping, I'd suggest you get the appropriate UQ first, then focus on the appropriate TQ. I started out with an HG 20* Burrow and Phoenix - found I couldn't stay very warm at 13* F, so I bought an HG 0* Burrow and Incubator. I'm neither a cold nor hot sleeper - kinda in between, but nowadays I make sure that I always have an UQ/TQ at least 10* warmer than the temps I'm expecting (so a 20* TQ/UQ for 30* weather, or a 0* UQ/TQ for 10* weather).

I've found that weather reports are generally useless because they don't have weather stations where I'm going. I once went on a trip where all the weather channels said the low would be 18* F, but I arrived at 6 pm and it was 13* F. It got down to 0* F (though some recorded -3* F). I'm certainly glad I had my 0* gear!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    I planned on doubling up the underquilt with the reflectix not replacing it. Sorry for the confusion there. Additionally, I know a jacket would compress under me, I was talking about using it to make up for a skimpy topquilt. A jacket, like a topquilt, is to insulate above me. I have doubled up two uqs with an UQP and used my 32* topquilt at 20* and was Hot because my base layers that I use are quite effective. So I appreciate your speedy comments but I think I will need more to weigh in on the subject. Again, thank you for your comments.
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    I will take the advice on testing reflectix in safe conditions, I agree that safety is needed with new setups

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Winter camping and say pushing 0*
    Stop fussing and get a 0* downy goodness underquilt... there done.
    No worries, no fuss, no cold butt

Is fun spending your $$$
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Reflectix between the layer of the BB are between you and your UQ. This may keep the UQ from getting your body heat, which is how down is used as an insulation, but it should work since the UQ will wrap around the reflectix and your sides. Also, it means condensation, if any, will be soaked in by the hammock and you may not feel it at first.

Since your top side is taken care of by your TQ and extra clothing, I would work on getting your UQ beefed up first. That's my .02.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have no experience with winter camping, but since I sleep very cold, I often put a piece of Reflectix between the layers of my WBBB in addition to my 20°F underquilt. So far, I haven't used anything bigger than sit pad size, and I put it under my butt and lower back, which is where I get cold most often. This worked very well for me, but I haven't used this set-up below freezing.

There are some cold weather hangers here, who prefer to use a foam pad in winter (no underquilt). If you don't have issues with condensation, this might work for you, too.

Otherwise, you could look into an underquilt protector. I found it increases the warmth of my underquilt quite a bit - even if there's no wind.

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    Sounds like Underquilt may be a winner. I hadn't thought about the reflectix stopping the underquilt from warming up, that is a real good point. I think I might grab the UQP as well. Thanks everyone. You are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by bkrgi View Post
    Winter camping and say pushing 0*
    Stop fussing and get a 0* downy goodness underquilt... there done.
    No worries, no fuss, no cold butt

Is fun spending your $$$
    I agree! My original setup was like yours: Jarbridge (and New River) 3 seasons using the Ozark Trails for warmer weather and switiching out to a REI 20 degree down bag for fall/winter. Then I upgraded to a 20 TQ from Enlightened Equipment and used that in combination with the Ozark for winter trips. Over the past year, I've bought & sold and finally have gotten to the point where I'm confident in my gear with this sometimes crazy Michigan weather.

For cold weather, I go with the JRB Greylock 0 UQ with 4" of loft ( http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/greylock-4/ - on sale for $194). I've had it down to -13 below zero with a foot pad and UQP from 2QZQ. For a top quilt, I use my EE Revelation 20 & my new EE Revelation 40 (2.5" and 1.5" of loft, getting me easily to sub zero temps). Summer/3 season setup is the EE Revelation 40 TQ and a HG Phoenix 40 UQ, that I've taken down to 32 comfortably, with a foot pad. For fall, winter and spring I always have a down puffy and light thinsulate jacket that I use as extra insulation where needed or as a pillow. I've also found that if I layer clothes, I have a tough time staying warm, so I just go with longjohns, socks (or down booties), and maybe a fleece pullover...seems like the more the clothes on, the more my body has to work to stay warm, so I let the down to the work for me.

You can't go wrong with any of our cottage vendors here! Lots of choices out there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast