Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images

What would you do (fabric decision)?

I just have to make my last hard decision.

I have already sewn and made:
    - two sets of tree-straps
    - spliced my own hammock suspension, whoopie-slings, adjustable RL, continuous loops, soft shackles and soft shackle prusiks
    - a DL hammock with integrated bug net and two different Kam Snap top-covers, several add-ons like RL organizer, peak bags and storage board
    - a 3/4 length 6oz Climashield under quilt with suspension
    - a Superfly stylish winter tarp with DIY LoopAliens and suspension (I used ripstop polyester with a heavy undefined coating - the tarp is a bit stiff and heavy, but the camo fabric looks nice and I made this tarp very solid).
    - several stuff sacks and double-ended stuff sacks

Not yet finished is a top cover. But the plan is ready and I got my 4 oz Climashield today. I will start within the next few hours.

I have still a bit more than 5 yards of this 1.75oz/sqy water resistant, down proof, windproof and breathable nylon in dark olive. It is about 63" wide. I think the quality is excellent. And I have still about 9.5 yards of this lightweight 1.6oz/sqy brown-olive ripstop nylon, width about 56" (the width is not regular, therefore I got the fabric much cheaper). I cannot estimate the quality of this ripstop nylon, but the fabric looks nice, has a smooth finish and it seems to be breathable too. Both fabrics, although different, fit nicely together. Visually I think nobody can whine and I would buy the same fabrics again (if I would need them).

My original plan (often changed) was to make a uni-color Primaloft top-quilt with this 1.75oz breathable nylon material witch is very similar to Pertex and to make with this 9.5 yards of cheap ripstop nylon my own lightweight silnylon tarp (Superfly stylish - the original plan was to make the inner layer and all panels of a WBBB clone with this fabric). I have already the transparent silicon I would need and most likely I have the requested mineral spirit too or can still buy it cheap. And I would like to try it like an artist - I'm used to do similar things but most of the time I did it with acrylic stuff.

Now that I use Climashield for my 3 season (or summer) top quilt I have another option too.

I could make a two-color top quilt and use half of the 1.75oz nylon for the outer shell and the same length of lighter ripstop nylon for the inner shell. The rest of the nylon I could save for another quilt or purpose and with the remaining 1.6oz/sqy nylon fabric I could make another single layer hammock. Perhaps I give SGT ROCK's Ghost Hammock or something similar a try.

What would you do ?

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Now I will push the stopwatch and use the 1.75oz nylon material for my top quilt. I need it urgently for my first sleep in the bush.

I have read somewhere that a darker material should be used for the inside shell of a top quilt and a brighter material for the outside shell. I will make it uni-color. Perhaps I make another black down top-quilt later.

With the 1.6oz ripstop nylon I will try to make my own silnylon. First I will run some tests. The fabric looks quite similar as silnylon already. Both sides of the fabric are smooth and shiny. Have not made a test whether the fabric is waterproof already. If it works I could get a nice silnylon tarp. If not I will sew another hammock with this material. A single layer hammock would be very borderline for my body weight. I'm 250 and 6'5". Therefore I would make again a DL with it, perhaps a Blackbird clone (with only one zipper on one side) for witch I have already a sewing pattern. The fabric is a bit narrow for this purpose but with a no-see-um mesh footbox it could work to get a lightweight hammock.

Hammock
    DIY DL 10.5' gathered with net
    Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Images
    Herzlichen glueckwunsch!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl_hanger View Post
    I have read somewhere that a darker material should be used for the inside shell of a top quilt and a brighter material for the outside shell.
    I think that the dark insides on a quilt is to increase solar gain for drying, when you face it towards the sun. Except for that it's unnecessary. Haben sie Gluck!
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    The reasoning was similar but more detailed. Sorry, I can't remember exactly and where I have read this (I think I found it in some DIY TQ instructions outside this forum which I have deleted a few days ago).

Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    Haben sie Gluck!
    We say short "Viel Glück" like in Englisch "Good luck" or longer "Ich wünsche Ihnen viel Glück" or "Ich wünsche Ihnen viel Erfolg" like in English I wish you much luck or success.

In German wie use "haben" like "have" very rare but for example in "da hab ich wieder Glück gehabt" ("There I've had luck again").

"Haben Sie Glück!" sounds a bit strange to me. I have most of the time success if I try it hard ... a skill game (like building a hammock) and most of time no success if I try a luck game (like making my own silnylon without knowing exactly what works best and why. I have to try it once because I'm used to do similar things. Perhaps I will find out how to make a painted acrylic nylon tarp. I have a lot of means to try this - but it will be a luck game). But nevertheless I say thank to you.

Quote Originally Posted by FLScouthanger View Post
    Herzlichen glueckwunsch!
    To what? I'm not finished yet and a lot of things can still go wrong before I can enjoy the result of my work. But I'm looking forward to hearing the birds' twittering when I wake up in my hammock somewhere in German woods in near future. Hopefully I will not feel cold then and/or disturbed by highway or airplane noices. I'm born and reared (almost) in a mountain forest environment and feel disire accordingly. (Can't explain it but this is one of the main reasons why I tried it hard with stoical patience). If I'm sucessful it could be that I follow your way on the Appalachian trail. If I would reach this goal with my own hammock then I would say to myself "Herzlichen Glückwunsch, Sir".

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl_hanger View Post
    "Haben Sie Glück!" sounds a bit strange to me.
    If he wasn't retired I'd work to have my German teacher fired then !
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    ENO Double
    where did you get the fabric? Looking for the best resources now. Looking to make my own rain poncho / tarp and some hiking clothes.

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    If he wasn't retired I'd work to have my German teacher fired then !
    My English was very bad at school. I had even problems reading English books at university. Later in live I read and wrote much in English. I know it is still not perfect but it becomes easier the more I try it.

There I have had luck again with my TQ. It is nice, almost ready and custom made according to my body size. I still have to close the footbox and sew a black silnylon stuff sack. Tomorrow I will show it in this forum and say then: Ladys and gentlemen, I proudly present my first DIY top quilt. I never owned one or sleeping bag in my live.

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by becomingamountainman View Post
    where did you get the fabric? Looking for the best resources now. Looking to make my own rain poncho / tarp and some hiking clothes.
    Best source for you is imo (in alphabetic order):

http://diygearsupply.com/
    http://www.dutchwaregear.com/
    http://ripstopbytheroll.com/

I ordered all my fabrics in UK.

http://ukfabricsonline.com/ripstop-fabric
    http://ukfabricsonline.com/nylon-fabric
    http://www.calicolaine.co.uk/catalog...=ripstop+nylon

Most of the other things I got from ExTex (or Ebay)
    http://www.extremtextil.de/catalog/F...36813e4165495d

There is only one reason why I ordered only some cheap sewing stuff in the US. UPS is very expensive for shipments to Germany and I have to pay 19% duty on the final bill (including shipping) at the custom office as soon as the bill is a bit higher than about 21 € (for all Non-EU shipments).

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Awesome, thank you. This is very helpful. Now I just need to figure out what fabric is the best. I want to be able to spend more money on my underquilt, so I need to save money on clothes and a tarp. However, I am preparing for the JMT and want to make a tarp/poncho, so I will check ripstop by the roll. I assune that is where you got it?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast