Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Ideas for 5-10 day trip in CO/WY in August?

Howdy y'all!

I've been searching for ideas for a long backpacking trip to do sometime this summer or fall, and for various reasons the timing and location need to change. I'm now settled on doing it in Colorado or Wyoming in August. I have to be at a wedding in Laramie on August 15. I can do the backpacking trip either before the wedding or after.

So I'm looking for suggestions for good places to go within a reasonable driving distance of Laramie. I'll be flying into Denver. I could rent a car if necessary, but I'd prefer somewhere I can get to by shuttle. The shuttle doesn't have to leave from Denver - I could rent a car to take me to wherever the shuttle service departs from, as long as I can turn the rental car in before departing on the trip.

I'm hoping to go somewhere ridiculously beautiful (which I know is pretty much everywhere in those states). I've spent a couple days backpacking in the Red Feather Lakes area, and in Rocky Mountain National Park.

My pack can fit 5-6 days worth of food, so if you suggest a trip longer than that it would be helpful if there was some way to resupply in the middle. I'd prefer either a loop trail or somewhere that has shuttle service available to either get me back to a car or back to civilization. I don't have a tent, so I'll have to be able to hang the whole time. Also my gear will get me down to 20*, so I'd appreciate suggestions of places that aren't likely to get below that, but I don't think that will be a problem.

Thanks!

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Your like me, can't decide where to go.

Check out the Wind River Range. I've never backpacked into them but have researched them and maybe next year will be the year I get to go. Get a good map and start picking some routes. I've googles the different trails that I was interested in and found videos and other information on them. Just keep searching.

http://beartoothpublishing.com/windriver.php this is the map I'm working with. I haven't found one webiste that has tons of information on the Winds. But just pieces of info here and there. I think someone here mentioned they had a shuttle service to drive their cars to the end of the trail.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    Your like me, can't decide where to go.

Check out the Wind River Range. I've never backpacked into them but have researched them and maybe next year will be the year I get to go. Get a good map and start picking some routes. I've googles the different trails that I was interested in and found videos and other information on them. Just keep searching.

http://beartoothpublishing.com/windriver.php this is the map I'm working with. I haven't found one webiste that has tons of information on the Winds. But just pieces of info here and there. I think someone here mentioned they had a shuttle service to drive their cars to the end of the trail.
    You beat me to it. My first trip there was a 30 day hike in June 85. (well over 1 foot of snow with 24F low on June 27th!)

Many trips since then, but none for a few years now. My favorite place over all that I have ever been. Just get that map, drive east of Pinedale and Boulder to Big Sandy Trail head and look on the map to pick the direction you want to hike in. You can't go wrong.

One way you could go - of many others all excellent- is to park at Big Sandy and hike in NE along the Big Sandy River and either camp after a mile or 2 anywhere along the trout filled river, or keep on for a bit over 6 miles and camp 1st night at Big Sandy Lake if you did not want to go further the 1st day. ( This will all be at about 9-10000 ft elevation. Big Sandy Lake is plenty spectacular all by itself. But then you can either hike another mile or 2 up to the east(more or less) to Black Joe, Clear, or Temple lakes(all of next 3 pics just from Clear Lake area):

Then go back down to Big Sandy (or you can skip the above and just go this route to start with) and head north over Jackass Pass(several hour but very vigorous high altitude hike) to Lonesome Lake and the mind blowing Cirque of the Towers and camp there for a while. Next 3 pics looking up from or down on Lonesome Lake) :

Then either hike back the way you came to Big Sandy or keep going north over Texas pass to Texas, Billy's and Shadow lakes:

Then, hike down hill to the east/SE a few miles along Washakie Creek to either turn north north in similar country for 50-80 miles(endless trout filled lakes and streams all along the way), or turn back south to make a loop back to Big Sandy but on a different trail than you came. Depending on how fast a hiker you are and how many miles you like to cover per day, you could spend 1 day along the Big Sandy River(or at the campground with out houses at the trail head), 1 at Big Sandy, 1 or 2 up at Big Joe, Clear and/or Temple Lakes, 1 day getting to Lonesome lake and 1 day there, 1 day over Texas pass to Shadow Lake, and one day from there back down to Big Sandy. That would be 8 days, or 6 if you did not spend a day on Big Sandy River and just 1 day at the other overnight camps. I have often done this loop in 5 or 6 days, but I'm often tired also. Or you could just hike into Big Sandy, or Clear Lake or Lonesome Lake and make a base camp and day hike every day. It's all good, and all ridiculously beautiful. Be prepared for winter weather any day of the year.

EDIT: caution: there are plenty of trees, but yu will have to plan camps so that you are nor above timberline if you want to hang your hammock. All of these lakes I mentioned have trees, except Texas lake has zero trees, and I'm not sure about Temple. This picture is from one night when I was too sick to cross Texas pass to Lonesome Lake and had to sleep at Texas Lake:

Once you go, you will never forget that place.
    Bill
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 06-14-2015 at 22:31.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Due to the logistics of the rest of the trip, I've had to eliminate WY as a possibility. Any good CO ideas?

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by WaffleBox View Post
    Due to the logistics of the rest of the trip, I've had to eliminate WY as a possibility. Any good CO ideas?
    Maroon bells 4 pass loop. I've studied that hike and have it in my que of hikes to do. About 26 miles.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuban
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    North Loop in the Indian Peaks Wilderness. It's 30 something miles I think. I forget.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...t=indian+peaks

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuban
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by trailryder42 View Post
    North Loop in the Indian Peaks Wilderness. It's 30 something miles I think. I forget.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...t=indian+peaks
    Forgot to say this hike takes a back country permit., of which they only give out so many. PM me or member THFKAFood for who to contact.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by trailryder42 View Post
    Forgot to say this hike takes a back country permit., of which they only give out so many. PM me or member THFKAFood for who to contact.
    Thanks! I ended up deciding on Maroon Bells and Lost Creek Wilderness.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Trip-Planning

• + New Posts