Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images

Regarding a DIY Super Shelter Clone

I put my overcover back on my Explorer just now and took the opportunity to study the Shelter Undercover a bit closer than I have before. The question arises every so often how difficult it would be to make a DIY clone. I couldn't find a specific thread so I started this one.

I have made several attempts to make a clone before I broke down and purchased the system from the manufacturer. None of them were particularly successful and I have discovered why.

There are some shaping darts sewn into the shell of the Super Shelter undercover which are instrumental in getting the cover to fit to the shape of the hammock. Unless those darts are replicated, it just ain't gonna fit right. That will leave the foam pad either too compressed or too loose

There are four in total if I remember correctly. Two run from the edge of the cover toward the centerline at the position of the tieouts. Two run lengthwise from each end for a ways. (not the whole length.)

In answer to a question which will undoubtedly be asked, I did not do any measurements, nor do I intend to, for a couple of reasons. Without undoing the stitches and opening the entire cover up for a pattern I could not begin to suggest what the original sizing of the fabric was and how much or how long the removed sections of fabric are. So the figures would not do anyone any particular good.

The second reason is that Tom did a lot of research and development in terms of getting this to fit right on the two models that he makes. I would not feel right in short circuiting what he obviously feels is proprietary information in making those measurements public. I will say the darts do not appear to be down the center of the cover but are offset up onto the sides in terms of the lengthwise darts.

Given that information the enterprising DIY artist could probably tuck, roll and fit some fabric to come up with their own pattern. Whether it would be worth the effort or not when you can purchase the piece at a relatively reasonable cost would be up to the individual.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I was just thinking along those lines for a different reason.

The SS UC conforms closely to the hammock shape. Unlike UQs, it conforms to the entire hammock. The first time I used a KAQ in conjunction with the SS, I put the KAQ on the outside. I could do that only because the SS UC conforms so closely to the hammock.

I am thinking of making a different kind of nested UQ. If the SS UC were insulated, it would be close to what I have in mind.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The super shelter does not appear to be patented at least not that I could find. So the artwork is seemingly not available for study.

The Head dart seem does indeed appear to be in the center of the structure. The entry slit is off center and there is another small dart at the foot end. The tie out darts have a very strange angle to them. If someone is interested in adapting the cover eg. insulating it I would think you might be able to find a used one at reasonable enough expense to warrant taking it apart. I just don't want to go through the hassle of doing so only to have to put it back together.

Edit: It is worthwhile noting that according to the HH website the super shelter was first developed using down but it was determined it would be too expensive, labor intensive and problematic in terms of compression to be a viable option. Just a comment in light of taking the time and effort to do an insulated undercover for the SS . It might be more reasonable to simply use one of the excellent under quilts already available if you want to exceed the rating for the SS
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 10-05-2009 at 12:46.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts