Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11'
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie

3/4 Underquilt No Added Insulation Workable?

Hi Everybody!

I have tried searching and found some useful information on this subject but would appreciate additional feedback. My question is how reasonable is it to use a 3/4 quilt with no additional insulation? I am aware this is going to vary greatly from person to person and conditions but as someone with no experience I am trying to decide if I can get away with it during summer months (55F+ nights ) as I have a strong feeling I would absolutely hate dealing with a CCF pad but I want the weight/money savings of 3/4 . Does anyone have any experience and is it worth trying? Or is this a case of trying to have your cake and eat it too?

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I use a 3/4 underquilt and don't need anything under my feet until mid to low 40s.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I just used mine for the first time a few weeks ago.

It got down to 60 the three nights I was out. I packed a piece of reflectrix for my feet, and never used it. I didn't even have socks on. At the coldest part of the night my feet edged towards uncomfortable, but didn't quite get there.

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    would you think that half a sleeping bag would keep you warm? Or better yet would you sleep on a bed with no mattress cover and a single sheet. The uq and top quilt make the sleeping system,
    The reason people buy a 3/4 UQ is to cut weight, but their top quilt is the other piece of the puzzle that provides coverage to the rest of the body.
    If you go with a full UQ blankets or a top quilt can fill in that role till you dial in your system and know your needs.
    In the Summer you will not need as much inso, but you may want to test the water and suffer a few cold nights so you know what you need vs, what you think you do.
    When I started out I used a SOL emergency blanket between my hammock layers and used a fleece blanket and was ok, not great but ok at 55degrees. I did wake up many times during the night.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11'
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by T- Minus View Post
    would you think that half a sleeping bag would keep you warm? Or better yet would you sleep on a bed with no mattress cover and a single sheet.
    In theory I would just be able to get by using socks in warmer nights. I am fairly certain my preference would be Full Length over 3/4 & Pad though so the only way I can see 3/4 working for me is by using socks + footbox of quilt.

I guess really though you are right and I am just going to have to experiment with what I got before making a purchase. I have a good covered porch to hang from so may just throw together some temporary underquilting experiments with real quilts to test out how far my coverage needs to be to be comfortable in these summer nights.

On this topic has anyone ever tried to make a 3/4 with a full length attachment ( kind of like having a tarp with attachable doors that you can take when you need and leave behind when you don't and want weight savings) with maybe some overlay between the connection point to protect the seam? I am not sure if my sewing would be at that level yet but am curious if its been done.

*Edited as I found the answer to my above question. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...gth+conversion
    Last edited by Westcoast; 06-14-2015 at 21:08. Reason: Found my own answer!

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11'
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by WaffleBox View Post
    I use a 3/4 underquilt and don't need anything under my feet until mid to low 40s.
    Would that be with your feet in the footbox of your burrow during these nights?

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Westcoast View Post
    I have a strong feeling I would absolutely hate dealing with a CCF pad
    Why do you think that? A pad under your feet isn't the same as a pad for your body. Stick it in the footbox of your quilt/sleeping bag and you wont have a problem with it.

In warm weather you generally don't need anything, in cooler weather you may be able to get away with just using wool or fleece socks (loose fitting! Tight socks cut circulation, and will make your feet cold).

FWIW I always have a sit pad with me anyway, so if I need itI use it, if not it just stays in the pack. (also doubles as my pack frame)

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Westcoast View Post
    Would that be with your feet in the footbox of your burrow during these nights?
    Usually, yes. I doubt the burrow provides too much insulation under my feet, though, since the weight of my feet/lower legs compresses the down.

I sleep in my hammock in my bedroom every night, and need an underquilt even in the summer with the A/C set to 75. I use a 3/4 length fleece underquilt, without which I wake up in the night cold. On the top, however, I use a VERY light weight silk top quilt (just one layer of silk, no insulation) which adds maybe 2-3 degrees of warmth. My feet don't need anything then.

On cooler (but not cold) nights outside, I've used a 3/4 length underquilt and just a fleece blanket on top of me with nothing between my feet and the hammock and been fine. I think I've done that down to around 60 or so.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Why do you think that? A pad under your feet isn't the same as a pad for your body. Stick it in the footbox of your quilt/sleeping bag and you wont have a problem with it.
    The only issue I've noticed with this method (which does work very well) is that my feet tend to fall off the side of my hammock in the night when I've got the CCF pad in the footbox. That doesn't happen at all without the pad. I added a stretchable footbox to the hammock I just made, which will hopefully eliminate that issue.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11'
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post

In warm weather you generally don't need anything, in cooler weather you may be able to get away with just using wool or fleece socks (loose fitting! Tight socks cut circulation, and will make your feet cold).

FWIW I always have a sit pad with me anyway, so if I need itI use it, if not it just stays in the pack. (also doubles as my pack frame)
    I think the transition from materials would be very hard and uncomfortable for me as I can move around a bit in my sleep and am worried it would end up all over the place and uncomfortable since I am using a single layer hammock. I tend to be a difficult sleeper so really in a way I was already convinced that my end solution is a full length quality down under quilt for its compactness and probable ease of sleep. However in the mean time I was hoping to just maybe get by with a 3/4 synthetic this summer to gauge if there aren't other issues with hammock sleeping before investing heavily into it. I wasn't sure though if its worth trying 3/4 if I am not willing/able to use a pad.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast