Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mom with kids, wants to hang

Hello all, I been stalking around the boards for a few weeks and finally decided to join.
    The hubs is very into homesteading and sustainable living but I am the true outdoors person. Every year I drag him on at least one camping trip with me (and now the kids) but I'm realizing that if I want the kids to be exposed to as much outdoors as possible I'm going to have to do it solo. I did a lot of backpacking in high school and college but love them idea of hammocks with the kids.
    I have lots of questions about sleeping arrangements for VERY young children in hammocks. Currently the kids are 3 and 8months, trying to figure out if the 3 year old and I could share a hammock while the baby sleeps in a tent with Dad (this time). What is the youngest anyone has hung with their kids over night? What about hammock sharing with youngsters? Gear recommendations? I'm thinking they could share one for several years.....

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Welcome to the site.

I took my youngest on an hammocking overnighter when she was 5. I had her hanging the closest of the kiddos, just in case she needed to visit the potty during the night. I made sure that she understood the problem of her waking up and leaving her hammock without me or a big sister with her.

Before that, when the kiddos were really young, we used a pack and play in a tent.

Good luck,
    STinGa
    Last edited by STinGa; 06-14-2015 at 22:53. Reason: Adding more info
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    WBBB xlc,Dutch,DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Where are you planning on backpacking to? I am in Southwest Ohio and we make a lot of trips to Red River Gorge. I wouldn't recommend the ridges with little ones.
    As messed up as a soup sandwich

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    I've seen people with young kids hang bunk-bed style, with the kid in the top hammock. I don't know how it would work with two in the hammock-one on each end?
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    My daughter has been doing overnight hammock trips since she was about a year. Granted, it was car camping so I can bring more amenities. I also usually pitch a tent/shade for nap time so I don't have to lie with her the whole time. I have a WBBB and didn't worry about her rolling out. She usually sleeps between my legs or on my chest and I've never worried about rolling onto her while she's there. For naps, I usually keep her in the tent so that when she falls asleep, I can sit back in my chair at the site or make something for us to eat. She's almost 2 now and I'm not sure how much longer I'll do this. At some point, I'll be switching to bunk bed mode. I've heard having the kid on bottom is easier to take care of them and not have to worry about large falls. But I keep thinking I'd prefer her above me, at least for the first couple years.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG JRB
    Having the youngsters exposed at a young age is great. I still remember my dad taking me out when I was young. Now having two boys of my own, its an even better experience. I can't say I've slept over night with one of them in the hammock but definitely the spot to take naps in during the afternoon, especially with the 3 year old. This year I've been experimenting with different hammock setups and the bunk bed was one. It works out pretty well if you don't mind getting up in the middle of the night so they can go do there thing. Recently I took my oldest who is currently 7 on he's first backpacking trip with he's own hammock and just setup a trekking pole across our heads and used it as a spreader bar. That is my go to setup right now. As far as gear arrangements, a sleeping pad stuffed in there sleeping bag with them on top will help keep them from rolling off of it during the night and getting cold.

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch

Mom with kids, wants to hang

At 3, they can definitely share a hammock with you. Both my kids have shared a hammock with me over night. I think my oldest was 8 she last did. She slept great, I slept ok. If you're used to napping with them now, then it's even easier in a hammock. You move a lot less. Underquilts work better than pads.
    We've also had really good luck with bunk bed setups. Ifone of them is in their own hammock, I would recommend getting a set of ridgeline lights or something similar that they control. Also a pillow is a plus.
    Biggest obstacle at that age is you become a Sherpa.
    Good luck
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Where are you planning to go ? Please give me some ideas .I just want to go somewhere with my child.

I love the gorge but the kiddos are definately not ready for that. Last summer we spent a few weeks camping out west in Utah but of course we tented and only had one kid. I remember John Bryant being nice or we were going to head toward East Fork (still in the air).

Quote Originally Posted by AdanClinton View Post
    Where are you planning to go ? Please give me some ideas .I just want to go somewhere with my child.
    Just go! The first time we went my son was 3 months, just packed up the car picked a quiet camp ground about 45 minutes from our house and went. We went with no expectations and were completely ok with packing in and heading home if it was a disaster. It wasnt, it went great! Of course we just car camped and did day hikes but it made us significantly less fearful for the next time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast