sld tree runner dl
    Tarp
    sld trail haven
    Insulation
    Diy reflectics
    Suspension
    Woopie

Is it me or the hammock

First off the background info. I am 6'3" and 300 lbs, I have 2 busted up shoulders that the docs want to do surgery on. My hammock is a grand trunk skeeter beeter pro, it is 10'6" long. It is setup with a adjustable ridgeline. My ridgeline is currently setup at 109". I still feel like there is a lot of shoulder squeeze. I normally have to try to have one arm above my head. When I wake up I feel great, but getting to sleep in difficult. I have tried more and less sag, but it doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I am not in a position to buy a larger hammock. I know you that might help, just can't afford it at this time. Thanks again for all the help. Mark

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    At your height, a longer hammock is likely the only solution. An 11' hammock can be had for quite a good price from Dutchware. You can probably sell your Skeeter Beeter on here for enough to fund the purchase of the Dutch hammock, or at least most of it.

Hammock
    DIY 10x5 w/srl
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' cat pu
    Insulation
    DIY A90 Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    +1 longer hammock, 11-12'. You're a pretty tall guy. Might even consider a bit wider too, maybe 70".
    Beckyinma~

-----------------------------------
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Benjamin Franklin

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Have you measured the length of the hammock as 10' 6" or going by the manufacturers specs? I've heard that they're much shorter than advertised.

Hammock
    sld tree runner dl
    Tarp
    sld trail haven
    Insulation
    Diy reflectics
    Suspension
    Woopie
    I have not measured my hammock length, and feel stupid for not thinking of checking it. I will be on that tonight. I will check out dutchware again. I have checked them out before, just didn't have the dough for the gear. Never thought of selling my hammock. The thought of that scares me. Lol. Wouldn't be the first time I've sold something and magically the wife takes the money or spends more, and I have to cover the loss. I also have 2 kids I have to equip with hammocks for camping as well. I'm still new to hammocking. Only been a few months since I converted from a tenter.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    If you are located anywhere near Tallahassee, you are welcome to come test out my hammocks and see if the added length is helpful.

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL

Thumbs up If I could only have one hammock: GT SB-Pro.

I am 6'2" and 260lbs. My 60lb dog sleeps in the hammock with me. My adjustable SRL is set at 109" also. That GT SB-Pro has been my go to 'mock during skeeter season for five years now. First two years it was my only hammock. It has seen hangs from the 90sF to -8F. Never had an issue such as shoulder squeeze with it.

Indeed the only issue I have ever had with it is the stitching on the stuff bag coming loose. I suppose having a paperback book, flashlight, water bottle, etc in it every night might have been a bit much for it.

That being said, I am slowly acquiring longer and wider 'mocks and liking 'em.
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    sld tree runner dl
    Tarp
    sld trail haven
    Insulation
    Diy reflectics
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Thanks everyone for the input and offers. I think as money allows I will be replacing my skeeter beeter for a longer wide hammock from a vendor here on the forum. Thanks everyone.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    You could also try a foam pad - or any sleeping pad that you own from your days as a tenter - under your torso/shoulders. Yes, pads can be a nuisance, but they definitely flatten the hammock some. I don't know if it will work for the shoulders, but I never had calf pressure trouble while still using a pad in my hammock.

Before you spend money on a longer gathered end hammock, maybe find somebody who can loan you a longer hammock and see if that helps. If it does, you could also DIY a hammock. This should save you some money, and a no-net hammock is not that difficult to make.

Hammock
    sld tree runner dl
    Tarp
    sld trail haven
    Insulation
    Diy reflectics
    Suspension
    Woopie
    I haven't tried a pad yet. My hammock is a single layer. Does a pad work well in a single layer hammock?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast