Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Trappers will often set traps in the same general area from one time to another so it is not as disposable as we might consider them. At least that's what some trappers in Maine would do.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    Just as a heads up - I haven't given up on this project.

I just got in and tested some of the bullet-type trapping anchors (with retrieval tab). I added some kevlar rope to the retrieval tab using a bowlin and tested it out.

The 18" long wire-cable anchors hold me up with no problem whatsoever (I'm 165lbs) even when bouncing in the hammock quite a bit (they don't budge).

The retrieval works very well but I am very scared the kevlar will fail if the thing hits a rock on the way down or if I use it a lot (this would require I dig a large hole to get the anchor out).

My second problem is the weight of these things... Each anchor with cable and kevlar retrieval rope weighs in at ~150 grams each. You need two (one for each end of the hammock). The weight of the driver rod I am using right now is not small either - likely around a pound. Plus a hammer (or axe if you actually carry one) although a rock /hammer stone would do in a pinch.

The verticals I am using are 2x12 pieces of wood (just two) which stand on end and are held up by the weight of the hammock pulling down on them (they are ~6ft tall btw). If one fell over it would split my skull (ouch) so I'm going to try for some bamboo polls soon.

The reason the 2x12s don't fall over is the low center of gravity when I hang the hammock low. My COG is likely about 1 foot from the ground... so its a virtual 1ft x 1ft x ~12ft long block / mass (doesn't like to tip or roll).

Anywho - I've been doing some drawing and thinking and more drawing and think I have a workable light weight anchor solution that should protect amsteel in the ground... I'm trying to make things light... Which brings me to a questions that I feel hasn't been answered yet....

"How light would this thing have to be in order to be viable? (total package weight including verticals, anchors, hammer, driver, etc)"

Has anyone else made any progress with this concept yet?

Be well and happy tinkering,

Xex

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    3S CrowsNest DIYTQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/DC/WS
    Images
    Pardon my ignorance, but how would these anchors be used? My newbalicious brain doesn't quite process how something that creates an anchor in the ground can replace trees for hanging a hammock. Does anyone have any photos?
    -->dvis.

Hammock
    N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dvisic View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but how would these anchors be used? My newbalicious brain doesn't quite process how something that creates an anchor in the ground can replace trees for hanging a hammock. Does anyone have any photos?
    Check out this video from much earlier in the thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk8YnPJXtG4

edit: Actually I can't find this earlier in the thread now that I looked for it - maybe I posted it elsewhere or in another thread? Anywho - something like this but not with the uprights I used here... needs to be something lighter and less dangerous

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    3S CrowsNest DIYTQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/DC/WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XexorZ View Post
    Check out this video from much earlier in the thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk8YnPJXtG4

edit: Actually I can't find this earlier in the thread now that I looked for it - maybe I posted it elsewhere or in another thread? Anywho - something like this but not with the uprights I used here... needs to be something lighter and less dangerous
    Ah, okay. Thanks for posting that. Have you tried it for a full night? I'm getting ready for an extended car trip and having something like that might remove my need to bring the tent at all (using the hammock as a bivvy seems silly when I'm car camping and have a perfectly good tent).
    -->dvis.

Hammock
    N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    I haven't tried it overnight - I should setup a single ground anchor with a pully and weight (350 pounds on one anchor should do for static load testing? Any input on this from anyone?)

I can leave that one in until failure and count the days / weeks.

I assume after repeated rains under continuous tension it would slowly migrate out.

Great question!

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I keep hoping someone will come up with a workable lightweight solution for one tree hammocking before I retire. That way I can take a hammock on some of those western trails. Looks like this could be part of the solution.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    I keep hoping someone will come up with a workable lightweight solution for one tree hammocking before I retire. That way I can take a hammock on some of those western trails. Looks like this could be part of the solution.
    What (in your opinion) would be an acceptable max weight for a "Single Tree Required" system?

-Xex

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    walmart pad :P
    Suspension
    stock WBBB for now
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Think I may have an idea here.
    This is all dependent on what gear you normally use.
    If you are using the aluminum 3 bladed tent stakes I have seen, they could be modified to work similar to the ground anchors described here.

Just attache your cordage closer to the point of the stake, I would guess about 2/3rds of the way, so the attachment is a bit closer to the point than the blunt end. I would drill small holes in each blade, close to the center line, then run the cord through each and tie off, that way the cord will lie along the center of the stake while driving it in.

Tie another cord at the blunt end of the stake as your pull-out cord.

Just having the cord nearer to the center or point end of the stake should vastly increase it holding power, and you shouldnt need to drive it super deep under normal conditions.

I dont know what you normally have with you, but a short length of aluminum rod should allow you to pound the stakes in further.

I wonder if you could use some bladed arrows to accomplish the same thing... doubt the blades would be strong enough, but its an idea.

My basic idea was to use a pair of trekking poles to support the non-tree end, with the modified tent pegs to anchor.

Geez, now I need to make up a set just to see how it works.

Hope this wasnt toooooo meandering. I am supposed to be sleeping right now, but my brain would not let go of this!

Fixitman, who works nights and should be sleeping! but cant because his WBBB arrived and is in the mailbox, and because the engineering part of his brain wont shut down... ok, time to try to sleep again, gnite all!

Hammock
    N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixitman View Post
    Just attache your cordage closer to the point of the stake,
    Tried this many moons ago with similar stakes - they get pulled up. The earth acts like a pulley and lift the stake straight up.

A solution would be to implant the stake, remove it, make a cut in the earth for the cord and then re insert. Easier said than done (rocks etc).

Give it a try though - maybe you will have different results or another solutions! This project needs more hands and minds anyhow

As for treking polls, ymmv - many have tried and had them fail. Many have tried with success. Depends on the polls and your implementation + luck.
    As for collapsible polls - no-go as they don't have enough grip to keep extended (wrecks them too).

Keep us informed as to your experiments!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123