Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Jarbidge Compressability

Hey hangers!

I love my Jarbidge UQ. It is my go-to UQ and a big part of my kit. However, being synthetic it is bulkier than down. I really want to upgrade to a ULA Circuit pack, to force myself to bring less stuff and really get my baseweight down lower.

Does anyone here use their Jarbidge with a lower capacity, lightweight style backpack? If so, how much room does your Jarbidge take up? If you're compressing it how are you doing it, and how much room does it take up? Anything else you can add in for me would be excellent.

Thanks in advance for all of the positive and helpful responses.

The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

I'm no expert, but I gave up on trying to compress it. I put a liner inside the bag (I use big ole glad bag as a liner (gotta Hillbilly it up) and just shove the quilt in the bottom. I've found it conforms to the bottom of the pack and doesn't create as many voids. I can shove the stuff down from above with better results. Just my opinion, but when you start really crankin' down, you get these large "footballs" that create wasted space.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly w/door
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 TQ/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar/Turtle
    I leave mine in it's original stuff sack and just smash it into the bottom of a 50 liter pack. I also have a synthetic top quilt and for 3-4 day trips I have plenty of room.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyHanger View Post
    I'm no expert, but I gave up on trying to compress it. I put a liner inside the bag (I use big ole glad bag as a liner (gotta Hillbilly it up) and just shove the quilt in the bottom. I've found it conforms to the bottom of the pack and doesn't create as many voids. I can shove the stuff down from above with better results. Just my opinion, but when you start really crankin' down, you get these large "footballs" that create wasted space.
    I use the same method. Love it. I was just curious if there would be enough room in a 45ishL bag for the Jarbidge and everything else.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf8895 View Post
    I leave mine in it's original stuff sack and just smash it into the bottom of a 50 liter pack. I also have a synthetic top quilt and for 3-4 day trips I have plenty of room.
    Hmmm...If you can get 2 synthetic quilts + gear into a 50L bag, I should be able to stuff a synthetic, down + gear into a 45L pack. Thanks for the feedback

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Latitude918 View Post
    Hey hangers!

I love my Jarbidge UQ. It is my go-to UQ and a big part of my kit. However, being synthetic it is bulkier than down. I really want to upgrade to a ULA Circuit pack, to force myself to bring less stuff and really get my baseweight down lower.

Does anyone here use their Jarbidge with a lower capacity, lightweight style backpack? If so, how much room does your Jarbidge take up? If you're compressing it how are you doing it, and how much room does it take up? Anything else you can add in for me would be excellent.

Thanks in advance for all of the positive and helpful responses.

I use a Jarbidge and a ULA circuit and I have so much room to spare that I brought 12 beers on my last trip. I use a WBBB and a superfly. I save room by only bringing an extra pair of socks. This and a puffer jacket is all you need 3-season. I'll figure out 4-season by taking out the 12 pack
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaHammock View Post
    I use a Jarbidge and a ULA circuit and I have so much room to spare that I brought 12 beers on my last trip. I use a WBBB and a superfly. I save room by only bringing an extra pair of socks. This and a puffer jacket is all you need 3-season. I'll figure out 4-season by taking out the 12 pack

Best answer of the day. You sir win a beer.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly w/door
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 TQ/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar/Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Latitude918 View Post
    Hmmm...If you can get 2 synthetic quilts + gear into a 50L bag, I should be able to stuff a synthetic, down + gear into a 45L pack. Thanks for the feedback
    Forgot to tell you I don't take any clothes! J/K.
    I usually have a fleece, a beanie, sleeping clothes, hammock etc and food with plenty of space.
    A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -- Mark Twain

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaHammock View Post
    This is the answer I was looking for. Really want a ULA Circut. I currently use a Granite Gear Crown, and while the crown is nice and all, I usually have more room left and think, "Oh, well I can put this in there"...

Hammock
    PIF from Dos
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Suspension
    TreeHugger/woopies
    You do know the ULA Circuit is a 68L pack. The Ohm 2.0 is a bit smaller at 63L. Just letting you know the pack you are looking into is bigger than you think, so you will have plenty of volume for your UQ and TQ. I'm actually planning to get a KAQ 3 season set for myself soon.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast