Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images

pancho vs rain coat

It is getting go time for me, tommorrow morning in fact. I am very torn between my pancho or rain coat. I intend on carrying pants either way just as back up pair of pants. I like the options with the pancho; alternate shelter, pak cover, and I am going to try out how well it will work for a over cover for my HH if it gets cold enough. However I dont care for how my arms hang out with my sleeves exposed to the elements.
    I am already carrying my Pantagonia down jacket for camp and my marmot wind shirt for layering and all around wear. That is why I dont want to carry the rain jacket also. It does not breath well and doesnt function well as any other thing besides rain protection.
    I have already answered my own question????

What is ya'lls choice?

BEAS
    BEAS
    From the Great Southern state of
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    well ... I tend to prefer my jacket and pants for regular hikes ... but toting a back pack it's hard to beat having a poncho that covers the pack completely. Put on a pair of rain pants and you got a pretty good system to keep everything relatively dry ... plus it's easier to vent the sides when you need more air than you can get with a jacket.

Now if you're into off trail travel ... a poncho sucks ... I think Mt Laural eats ponchos on purpose!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I would add that in very windy conditions, ponchos suck.
    My very general rule of thumb...if it is warm enough for shorts, I'll take just the poncho. Colder, full rain suit
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    I would add that in very windy conditions, ponchos suck.
    My very general rule of thumb...if it is warm enough for shorts, I'll take just the poncho. Colder, full rain suit
    My thoughts exactly.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAS View Post
    It is getting go time for me, tommorrow morning in fact. I am very torn between my pancho or rain coat. I intend on carrying pants either way just as back up pair of pants. I like the options with the pancho; alternate shelter, pak cover, and I am going to try out how well it will work for a over cover for my HH if it gets cold enough. However I dont care for how my arms hang out with my sleeves exposed to the elements.
    I am already carrying my Pantagonia down jacket for camp and my marmot wind shirt for layering and all around wear. That is why I dont want to carry the rain jacket also. It does not breath well and doesnt function well as any other thing besides rain protection.
    I have already answered my own question????

What is ya'lls choice?

BEAS
    Cool, you even write "Pancho" with a southern drawl..LOL. I will also agree with what AC says about shorts and ponchos. One thing I might add is that it might be possible to lose the marmot wind shirt in favor of keeping the rain coat. The rain coat would then be double duty.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    Cool, you even write "Pancho" with a southern drawl..LOL. I will also agree with what AC says about shorts and ponchos. One thing I might add is that it might be possible to lose the marmot wind shirt in favor of keeping the rain coat. The rain coat would then be double duty.
    As you can tell I am as Southern as it gets and take every chance to show it even in my spelling.
    You do know there are 2 ways of speaking Southern. The elequent way as you might here in S. Carolina and "dirty south" as you might hear in Tennessee and Mississippi. hahaha
    BEAS
    From the Great Southern state of
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

Hammock
    Travel Hammock
    Insulation
    JRB Rocky Mt. NoSn
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAS View Post
    However I dont care for how my arms hang out with my sleeves exposed to the elements.
    Often you can pull your arms inside the poncho to protect them -- that is, if you're not using trekking poles.
    See my PCT planning blog at budgetPCT.blogspot.com

• + New Posts