Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    We've all hit the ground once or twice but your senses of humor is priceless. Welcome to the club welcome to HF and hang safe? Just remember the number one rule to hanging. Never hang higher then you want to fall.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    DHTBird,WBBB.draumrxl
    Tarp
    Camo Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie *snicker*
    Fun read, thanks for sharing. Now this explains, possibly, my first attempt. I was being helped by a friend, a woman, in the dark. I got the hammock over a year before I attempted to hang it. Stayed on the ground for some inexplicable reason, now that I have been in a hammock. Anyways, she has a HH and was willing to help. Now, I also did not bother to check back in here before leaving for a refresher. Possibly a big mistake. How hard can it be? The fellow I got the hammock from had it set up very nicely with whoopies, tree straps and attached toggles. It was perfect. Like a pro set-up. We got the tree straps on, that part I remembered. Then I am staring at the toggles...trying to remember that fish something. She says, "No, you just hang these over the toggle" I said, "I don't think so, that little orange rope does not look strong enough to hold your bigger than the average bear." "And that loop is single thread." She assured me that was how to do it. Ok, she had hanging experience and I will try anything at least once. "Ok, try it." she says. I don't think I got one foot off the ground when I was weightless, for like a second. Dang, that got my attention and my memory working. I got the fish thing done and remembered Shug saying, "Make sure you have your whoopie on the knot and not the toggle." Like five times. Ahhh, three nights of blissful sleep after that. Figuring out how to get it just right, the dog, and all has been worked out, it is really great sleeping. Have fun working your hang out.

Good thing there is plenty of time till Christmas light hanging! No worries.
    If it moves, you can eat it. No promises you will think it tastes good.

Sarah-2378
    Quote Originally Posted by avalonmorn View Post
    Hey, I'm a newbie, moving from tents to hammocks. Got the info on this forum from Jeff, Sgt. Rock, and other websites. Decided to jump in with both feet, literally. I've been lurking and reading a bit for a week til I knew everything about hammock hanging....
    I have an old military hanging hammock tent that I decided to "practice" with. Unrolled it, and it didn't look like everyone's pics on HH, WB, or DIY! Oh well, no problem, as I'm quite an intelligent woman. It had many parachute strings on each end centered in a silver ring, a pop up net, with the top in nylon. Read the size, only 20 inches wide, I turned around, looked at my backside, and thought if it's good enough for our troops, it's good enough for me. I live in an extremely small town, so I bought clothesline rope from the Dollar General, and some big fat nylon looking rope from our lumberyard. Got home. No 2 trees, got my kitchen ladder and rigged up my ridgeline from my one tree in the front yard to the Christmas light nails on my roof. Next, after quite an effort, managed to hang said hammock from tree to porch pole. Gently hopped in, and turned upside down, as the end straps had to be adjusted just right I found out later. Redid all, second attempt, cord came untied, as I am no Girlscout, and skipped the part where all of ya'll showed your knot-tying expertise , cause, how hard can it be to tie 2 things together?
    3rd attempt, with now the whole neighborhood watching, went ok, til my dog jumped in with Momma, and something sailed by my ear 90 miles an hour, and again, I was flat on my back. I'll find the Christmas light nails with my lawnmower, no worries.
    I am not giving up, cause, how hard can it be to hang a hammock?
    Now if ya'll will excuse me, have to go to the newspaper office before the noon deadline on our weekly paper, and place my ad.

Wanted estimate: replacing several shingles, soffett, and porch pole repair on Pine Circle, house with hammock laying on the porch.

Gotta go.... need family size bottle of Advil from Dollar General.
    Hello dear, Welcome to the world of hammocks It can be a bit tricky at first but do not give up. Practice makes perfect and soon you'll be enjoying the relaxing hang. Good luck with your porch repairs too..

Last edited by Sarah-2378; 09-19-2023 at 01:29.

Sarah-2378
    What a fun story Hammock setups can indeed have a learning curve but it sounds like you have figured it out and are now enjoying some great nights of sleep. Keep hanging in there and exploring the world of hammocking – it is all about the adventure and the comfort you find in the end..

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Though many have appreciated the humor and gumption - which is great - Please visit https://theultimatehang.com/calculator/ to see the proper hang angles AND the weight forces on your suspension. Some of these things are best NOT learned through trial and error.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Onewind 11’ w/ridgeline
    Tarp
    Onewind 12’ Silnyl
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles & St
    Probably worth pointing out that this is a…

ZOMBIE THREAD

Originally from 2012, and the account that posted it back to the top seems… sus, as the kids say.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234