Hey, I'm a newbie, moving from tents to hammocks. Got the info on this forum from Jeff, Sgt. Rock, and other websites. Decided to jump in with both feet, literally. I've been lurking and reading a bit for a week til I knew everything about hammock hanging....
I have an old military hanging hammock tent that I decided to "practice" with. Unrolled it, and it didn't look like everyone's pics on HH, WB, or DIY! Oh well, no problem, as I'm quite an intelligent woman. It had many parachute strings on each end centered in a silver ring, a pop up net, with the top in nylon. Read the size, only 20 inches wide, I turned around, looked at my backside, and thought if it's good enough for our troops, it's good enough for me. I live in an extremely small town, so I bought clothesline rope from the Dollar General, and some big fat nylon looking rope from our lumberyard. Got home. No 2 trees, got my kitchen ladder and rigged up my ridgeline from my one tree in the front yard to the Christmas light nails on my roof. Next, after quite an effort, managed to hang said hammock from tree to porch pole. Gently hopped in, and turned upside down, as the end straps had to be adjusted just right I found out later. Redid all, second attempt, cord came untied, as I am no Girlscout, and skipped the part where all of ya'll showed your knot-tying expertise , cause, how hard can it be to tie 2 things together?
3rd attempt, with now the whole neighborhood watching, went ok, til my dog jumped in with Momma, and something sailed by my ear 90 miles an hour, and again, I was flat on my back. I'll find the Christmas light nails with my lawnmower, no worries.
I am not giving up, cause, how hard can it be to hang a hammock?
Now if ya'll will excuse me, have to go to the newspaper office before the noon deadline on our weekly paper, and place my ad.

Wanted estimate: replacing several shingles, soffett, and porch pole repair on Pine Circle, house with hammock laying on the porch.

Gotta go.... need family size bottle of Advil from Dollar General.