Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

A moment in time

My brain climbed aboard the “way-back bus” this morning with the talk of desk-drills in another thread. I got to thinking about white glue ‘gloves’, the flavor of paste, the way Debbie would get mad when I pulled her pigtails, etc. Then I remembered something we did in 5th grade and thought it might be an interesting thing to do here.

I joined HF in 2007, but it seems like more time than that has passed. Anyway, the growth among members has been amazing and the explosion of new gear has been astounding. We’ve had Blackbirds, Bridges, & Switchbacks to name just a few hammocks; we've even been witness to Hennessy Hammocks making a long fought change to their design. Tewas, Yetis, and MWs; Winter Tarps, about 10 different suspensions, and probably about 50 things not listed. All of this in a measly couple of years.

We buried a time capsule back in the 70s in grade school and a group from my class dug it up about 10 years ago. We all put an item in a Tupperware box (I put in a Twinkie ) and a letter was sent to everybody whose address was listed informing/reminding them what was placed in the box. Really fun to get a letter all these years later and see what was considered important/cool at the time. It had a hard time finding me, but it did (thank you Facebook).

So why don’t we do something like that now, while our hobby is still in the blossoming phase? I’m not suggesting we actually put gear in a box and bury it; that would just be crazy talk. But, there has to be a way we can mark this point in time and the level of development of our gear. It would be a fun discussion for those that follow us twenty years from now. They’ll probably think us ignorant and reckless. Yes, I know all these threads will be archived in the digital universe. But somehow the availability of resources doesn’t compare with the ‘discovery’ of a single item of historical relevance.

Any thoughts, or am I just off on another one of my weird distractions?
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I liked it when Grizz did his brief history of the DIY bridge hammock video. Maybe people could submit a 30 second (or less) video snippet of something hammocky and someone can do a mashup of all of them.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Your wierdness is entertaining, and not without its charms.

That said, good idea, although hanging is hardly in its infancy.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    That said, good idea, although hanging is hardly in its infancy.
    Not even remotely close, agreed. However, it is just now coming into it's own. This has been an exciting time for hangers. When I joined 2.5 years ago, I had never seen a hammock hanging on a trail. Now, it's rare that I don't at least run into someone on a trail that has tried a camping hammock.

We may not be at the beginning, but I think we are witnessing the rebirth of a fantastic concept and one that is being refined on an almost daily basis. When I joined the forum, there were only two places to buy an underquilt. Now, with the members on this forum offering their skills in addition to more quilt makers than before, folks actually have to do a chunk of research to find the right one for them. That would have been almost unheard of a couple of years ago.

I like being weird. Keeps everybody else on their toes.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    You could put a read-only archive of HF on a DVD, with all it's text, pictures and videos. That would be a real treasure trove of a time capsule!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Not even remotely close, agreed. However, it is just now coming into it's own.
    Modern changes are just coming into their own. I might note that a couple hundred years ago, when the combined navies of Europe were their sailing greatest, let's just say 500 ships with 200 men each for a total of 100,000 men using hammocks every off watch. And that's just Europe.

Maybe we're just starting to catch up...

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    ...that's just Europe.

Maybe we're just starting to catch up...
    It's all coming full circle. Hammocks were discovered by Europeans in the Caribbean, where it was the bed of cannibals.

I always thought that was the origin of Cannibal's screen name, but I was mistaken.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird, 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing w/ rings
    I like the idea of using a combination of video, pictures, and a few threads to make a time capsule. We could go old-school and put it on a DVD, but in 10 or 20 years we might have to go to an antique store to find a DVD player

Or we could try and find a digital way to store it. I'm actually kinda surprised that there isn't a website for that; make your own digital time capsule.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    I always thought that was the origin of Cannibal's screen name, but I was mistaken.
    Would have been less concerning, huh?

Yours is the same point I was going to make. I'm talking about hammocks in relation to camping/hiking/paddling/you know, the stuff we talk about. I'm very well aware of the antiquity that surrounds the concept of hammocking. In fact, during the last year it has become quite the hobby of mine and is more than fascinating how far back hammocks go. The camping hammock is just the most recent evolution and one that I'm very happy about.

I think I will look back, even 10 years from now, and wonder why I did some of the things I'm doing and who would be crazy enough to use something as heavy as sil for a tarp? Be fun to be able to look back.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Don't overlook the time capsules that already exist here. Grizz's Brief history of the DIY Bridge vid. The vid and threads which document the vintage hammocks. The DIY conversations and instructions. All of those serve as snapshots in time of the development of the forums as well as the sport.Now... if the forums ever close their doors... it might be necessary to preserve them some how. I don;t know how deep the archival processes of the web go.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts