Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Living in a hammock vs renting accommodation

You would save a lot of money if you live a hammock until you become rich. Buy a tentsile hammock, find a safe location and attach the hammock high up to the trees. To get up and down buy or build a ladder. For hygiene buy a gym membership - wash your face, brush your teeth, have a shower, exercise and shave. If you need Internet buy a sim only monthly or annual contract with internet. To charge your phone go to the library, charge it in the gym or at work. No need to cook - buy fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds on a daily basis. Give your parents or friends address for deliveries and other things. To wash your clothes go to the dry cleaners or ask your friend for a favour. If you need to go to the toilet - go to your gym or use a public toilet (do your toilet business early in the morning or when the toilet cleaner cleanes the toilet during the day - check the cleaning schedules behind the toilet door). For warmth insulate your hammock. You can even move your hammock if you find a job somewhere else. Travel light though - don't keep too much clothes or belongings - only survival items and other personal needs. Epic idea right?

What are your thoughts?

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Can't see getting a date with that life-style.

Not one you'd take home to mom anyway. ;-)
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Equip
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Go ask a homeless person for tips, I'm sure they can give you some great pointers you're over looking.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    You should read about Cody Lundin's college experience, he lived in the woods thru college. Good luck with that, not sure you want to leave the tentstile up all of the time and equally unsure you'd want to stash it daily up that high I'd be concerned about failures and fall protection.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Equip
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    In all seriousness though, I think a tiny house would be a more practical way to save money rather than squatting on someone's land.

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    ok take the for what its worth, If you are living free on the land, homeless, long term camping, ect, your biggest issues are not going to be what you think they will be, for example, Cops will no longer be the good guys most likely they will be your biggest and worst problem ranging from trespassing to taking up your time questioning you endlessly searching you and trashing your gear to even taking it so you will have to leave and get another, remember you will be the not normal blip on that radar and will attract them like free cup of coffee and a donut. Transportation or upkeep of auto, parking will be a close second. Keeping on the move, staying in one spot will draw attention to you, your activities and you will be a radar blip for the non cop or resident, worker or whom ever else sees or notices you. Remember most people are homeless for a reason, most ppl think that reason is drugs or mental issues not choice, or plain old bad luck. Most people if they are not nuts or a thief will stay at a friends house and bounce between them till a housing solution is viable. Appearance do you fit in to what is going on, backpacks away from schools or study areas scream homeless, dirty, smelly, and rough do also. Then there is health if you are sick or hurt or both will change your whole world, if you had a plan, a area, a routine this is a monkey wrench to it. This adventure may be just that but once it turns into a life style and a way of life for you,,,, you will see and understand exactly what I am saying.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer View Post
    In all seriousness though, I think a tiny house would be a more practical way to save money rather than squatting on someone's land.
    Even with a tiny house you need a piece of land to put it on. Just get an acre somewhere, build a small shed for bathroom and hang your hammock where you please. No need for a big fancy house.

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Now if your looking for Low cost housing and a certain level of quality of life, I would suggest finding an elderly person that may need some house work, or some other services in exchange for room and board and even an allowance or payment for taking care of ....
    renting a room or getting a roommate to cut cost.
    Owning your land or leasing it and have permissions from land owner.
    Become a student again, lots of cheap housing is available just for students.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Equip
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    Even with a tiny house you need a piece of land to put it on. Just get an acre somewhere, build a small shed for bathroom and hang your hammock where you please. No need for a big fancy house.
    I agree, but living in a hammock/car/tent, year round will get old very quick. I see the OP is from the UK. Its not like he/she is living in a tropical climate and will have beautiful, warm weather year round. My cousin is nearly done building a tiny house in Tenn. and with the land and all other associated expenses (septic, permits, etc) he will still be under the price of a new car. The house is only about 15'x15' with a 2nd floor loft for the bedroom. Thats pretty obtainable for even the modest wage earner without obtaining loans.

You can buy a solar usb charger for your phone. This would make Dave Ramsey proud. It is doable if you want to make it happen. You can use a truck stop shower, and if you're trying to save, you aren't jobless. We get caught up in trying to have what everyone has. I say that if you can pull it off...go for it. Just keep us posted, and it would make a good youtube journal series.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast