Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly

Insulation question for the summer

Hey everybody. This might be questions answered already but I'll be camping the 4th. This will be the first time I've hung in the summer. First question. Will a 20 degree Incubator and Barrow be too warm for mid 70s? Also will the Incubator fit correctly on a Ridge Runner?

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    If we're talking lows in the mid 70s, oh heck yes it will be too warm. In fact, I probably wouldn't use a 20 UQ if the overnite low isn't getting below 60. Means you're 5-10 degrees at least above that at the time you go to bed. You should be just fine without any insulation with lows in mid 70s, down to about 70 for an actual low. At that point, you start to need something, but still too warm for 20 quilt. At that point, a minimal pad works fine, no matter if its only 20" and if its short. Just need to keep the torso covered (on bottom).
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    If we're talking lows in the mid 70s, oh heck yes it will be too warm. In fact, I probably wouldn't use a 20 UQ if the overnite low isn't getting below 60. Means you're 5-10 degrees at least above that at the time you go to bed. You should be just fine without any insulation with lows in mid 70s, down to about 70 for an actual low. At that point, you start to need something, but still too warm for 20 quilt. At that point, a minimal pad works fine, no matter if its only 20" and if its short. Just need to keep the torso covered (on bottom).
    Would a pad (36"long 1" thick) and a 40f bag be over kill for a couple of nights with lows being high 50s to mid 60s? This will be my first hang ever...

I will have extra clothes (motorbike trip) but don't really want to wear it while sleeping.

Should I take my winter pad (full lenght 2.5" thick) and my 30degree bag?

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Probably good with the lighter set.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images
    Yes your pad and a 40* bag will be perfect. I've used a pad and 40* quilt for several years now in the summer. I actually just ordered a 30* quilt set because my 20* set is just too much, but on the outer end of the summer, the 40* quilt just doesn't cut it. I'm hoping the 30* ones will fit the bill perfectly for that.

OP, if you have your old pad, and something like a fleece blanket, you'd be much better off.

Hammock
    yukon outfitters w/ net
    Tarp
    Paha Que double
    Insulation
    50 degree sleeping
    Suspension
    dutch w/ cinch
    a couple weeks ago i slept in some 70 degree nights, i had a 50 degree mummy bag, it ended up unzipped and i just slept ontop of it in shorts. just depends on your temp comfort zone i guess.

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images
    I have quite a bit of colder weather hanging and this year I'm experimenting in warm weather hanging. I'm using the 1 Season AHE Jarbridge (3/4 length) UQ. I'll rig it and pull it under if it's needed. When comparing my options for a TQ, it was either a poncho liner or my 20 degree Burrow with snaps on the footbox. The poncho liner was around 6 oz heavier (and I'm hiking about 20 miles this weekend).

Since I don't have a summer TQ, I chose to take my Burrow and vent for the weight if a TQ is needed. I can let you know if that was a wise decision on Monday....

One key to summer hanging is hanging just downstream of a waterfall. While it's humid, the cool airflow is appreciated. Luckily there are lots of waterfalls where I go camping.
    Last edited by Bad Biscuit; 06-22-2015 at 14:13.
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

http://jnunniv.wordpress.com

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I was out in my hammock last night. No pad or UQ, no tarp. Just a military poncho liner as a blanket. Low was in the high 70's low 80's. I was fine as long as the wind was blowing to cool me off. Once the wind stopped about 1pm it was miserable with the high humidity and I ended up going back inside.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Sheltowee Boone 20*
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Depends on the person. I always sleep with my 20uq... Only if its like 80 overnight that I'll push that to the side. Which doesn't happen often where I camp in new England. If its hot, I'll just loosen it a bunch.
    I'd rather be hanging.

Hammock
    NX250, Envy, Appalachian
    Tarp
    one with doors
    Insulation
    UGQ down
    Suspension
    straps & Dutch's
    Our summer time over night temps down here don't get that low (mid-70s) very often, so I generally only have a sheet under me to protect the hammock. As others have said, a 20° UQ is way overkill. You can go with a reflective windshield cover under you and be fine. In fact, if the temp is solid not to get below 70, you probably won't need anything under you. With temps in the mid 50s I've slept with a 40° UQ and a poncho liner on top and long johns on and been quite comfy. For mid 70s, I'd recommend a pad under you and a fleece blanket on top, or if you've got/can find one, a flannel sheet. Get a queen size and wrap it around you and you'll be fine. Of course as has been said, it really all depends on how warm you sleep.
    Remember...no matter where you go...there you are.

"I have said that Texas is a state of mind, but I think it is more than that. It is a mystique closely approximating a religion". - John Steinbeck

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast