11' WB Traveler 1.7 XL
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG,AHE
    Suspension
    Amsteel/Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    I just got in from a three day two night hike in GSMNP. I took my Argon X90 Landing vehicle (it hasn't landed yet) and my Green Ghost with the experimental suspension.

Night 1: Argon X90 using SOB knots. The hammock is too narrow. I had it made at 48" with a foot box just like my Ghost hammocks. But when I took off the footbox because the material isn't strong enough to hold the extra stress of the connection point, it left the hammock too narrow for comfort. My feet kept sliding off the side! So if I am going to make the Argon hammock work it will have to be wider, I am thinking 4" more to bring it up to 52". The SOB knots both capsized on me and I didn't realize it until the morning. It took some time to get that undone.

Night 2: After walking 12.8 miles I wasn't in the mood to fight with a hammock that was too narrow again. So this night I put up my Green Ghost and used the Crock's Bend. The only hammock related issue I came up with was the ridgeline needs to be shortened about 2". The Crock's bend worked perfectly.
    What is a "Crock's Bend?"

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    A nickname we came up with for a slightly modified double sheet bend you can see on this page: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...estions/page10.

We gave it that name because ksbcrocks came up with it.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    11' WB Traveler 1.7 XL
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG,AHE
    Suspension
    Amsteel/Mule Tape
    A nickname we came up with for a slightly modified double sheet bend you can see on this page: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...estions/page10.

We gave it that name because ksbcrocks came up with it.
    Excellent...thank you!

Got thinkin' again. I know,... dangerous territory.

At one point, waaaaay back, we got talking about hitch vs. bend and it gets to be a bit of a grey area when a lead is attached to a fixed loop, i.e. is it another "rope" or is it an object? After all, the "Becket Hitch" in the thread title harkens back to that. But I'm not here to debate the name.

So, in thinking about this "knot", has anyone tried it on a Speed Hook or a Hammock Anchor (it would definitely be a hitch in this case) to determine if it holds without damaging the amsteel?

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    This what I think I know:

A "knot" is a line tied to itself.
    A bend is a knot that connects it to another line. So in this case a continuous loop is the other line.
    A Hitch is a knot that connects to another solid object.

A Becket hitch and a sheet bend are basically the same thing, it just depends on what you attach them to.
    NO SNIVELING!

This what I think I know:

A "knot" is a line tied to itself.
    A bend is a knot that connects it to another line. So in this case a continuous loop is the other line.
    A Hitch is a knot that connects to another solid object.

A Becket hitch and a sheet bend are basically the same thing, it just depends on what you attach them to.
    No desire to hijack the thread. Mostly I was just providing the thinking "thread" that lead to my question above. There had been a discussion as to whether a CL is another line or an "object" because it's an odd animal. Some would claim that a bend involves joining two working ends. Doesn't really matter. What happens when you join a line to another with a reef knot (aside from ugly results)?

And then there's the Prusik. Seems to fall into the category of "none of the above" because nobody calls it a knot OR a hitch. Makes me wonder if you put one on a dowel or pipe if it is even a Prusik(?)

Now, back to the regularly scheduled programming and maybe an answer to my question about SHs and HAs...

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    My opinion (take it for what it is worth) to be a hitch it would have to be some sort of solid mount like a ring, pole, or post. Since it is connected to another piece of rope it would be a bend. But it is only an opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    So, in thinking about this "knot", has anyone tried it on a Speed Hook or a Hammock Anchor (it would definitely be a hitch in this case) to determine if it holds without damaging the amsteel?
    I'd like to try it, but I don't have any speed hooks or hammock anchors to try this with. I'd love to have a set.
    NO SNIVELING!

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    SGT Rock, you continue to be an inspiration to us all with your glorious hammock innovation (even just the attempts at innovation are wins in my book). i'm still on the mopshead knot (bend?) and lovin it.
    i was playing with string today during training courses (as i often do) for the new occupation and i tied a MSH and with it's loop i then tied the toggle hitch and it cinched down on my finger very securely. seeeeeeeeems like a good way to take up a small amount of slack if you need to adjust a wee more taut. theory only.
    i want some of those hammock anchors too, they seem extremely effective.
    whats a reef knot?
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images

If you do a loop to loop connection you are basically making a reef knot.
    NO SNIVELING!

Alas, I was a mere payday away from owning a set of hooks before they were pulled.

That's weird that you had a capsize. I am heavier and have not had an issue since I have been doing more than 1full twist. I am assuming you used the double twist you showed in your last vid? Did you need a marlin spike to pull it out?

In relation to hitch vs bend I would agree with what sgt rock said with the exception that I now think when bend describes rope-to-rope connections it is referring to a rope that is folded into a loop (ie not spliced). Once you have a eye or continuous loop I think it's viewed as a grommet or a non rope connection and its called a hitch. But such a small difference really shows how trivial a difference it is and I'm no expert either.

• + New Posts
  • Page 35 of 46 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast