Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Go!Outfitters Apex
    Insulation
    KAQ Underquilt
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Staps

Interesting Hang advice: Monkey bars, 2 hammocks, and horrible weather...

So I have an interesting campout coming up this weekend, and I thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions...

This weekend is Amateur Radio Field Day, and our club is camping out Fri-Sun at a local tech school. As a new (hangs around campus + 1 camping trip) hammocker, I wanted to ditch the usual tent, but as we are in a field, which by definition lacks trees, I latched on to the idea of using the ROTC Monkey bars (6.5' high, 2'ish wide, 18'-20' long, and don't have the ladder on the side). But since checking the weather today, I've found a few complications, namely the fact that its going to pour the entire time, with winds up to 19 MPH. So I've been pondering how to keep myself and my bf (I've started converting him) dry with 2 hammocks, not bunked (he didn't like it), with only a 16x20 tarp, a 10x12 tarp (Tarps from Home Depot- available and cheap for newbie!), and some stakes/para cord/carabiners.

I'd been thinking that if the 20' tarp is long enough, I'd try to wrap the monkey bars like a present, so that it would have close-able doors (not sure how to keep the grommets closed...). That way we could have a door on either side, so we wouldn't have to climb over the hammocks hung diagonally inside the bars. My concern is that closing the doors that way would mean we couldn't stake the tarp out, so I'm not sure if a 2-2.5 ft wide "tent" would work, and honestly, I don't know if a flat surface will hold up well in the wind. But if the bars are too long or I don't make doors from the big tarp, the small one can't cover both sides.

Since this will be an annual thing (not the rain, I hope!), I figured it would be worth some effort into getting this to work, I thought I'd throw my plotting out there to some more experienced hangers to see what you all thought. If it doesn't work out, we'll still have the tent as backup, but well...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dble
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY & Greylock 3
    Suspension
    Straps n Dutchware
    Since you say the bars are 2' wide, the only problem I is wrapping the monkey bars like a present, then hanging two hammocks underneath? Might be a little tight. Thoughts would be to set the tarp in a tent mode (wider at the bottom and possibly DIY some sort of spreader bar to separate the hammocks at the head end. Essentially allowing a wider attachment point for the head suspension of the hammocks. Or just set up side by side and snuggle the best you can since....as you say it's a BF.

• + New Posts