Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images

New Blackbird User

My first hammock tent, a Blackbird double 1.1 showed up yesterday. I immediately went out and hung it in the back yard. Put a large pad between the layers and started off the night 'camping out' in the backyard. Unfortunately the neighborhood dogs kept me awake until I finally went inside.

My initial, and limited, first impression is good. I like the hammock, although not sure yet how well it will work for me. I am a side sleeper and generally thrash about quite a bit. The pad seemed to move a bit and I never did find a really comfortable position. Trying again tonight without the pad but with an old sleeping bag tied up underneath to simulate a UQ. Down into the 40's at night and I am a cold sleeper so definitely need something under me. If this works out I will start looking at real UQ's.

Rigged a 8*10 SilTarp over the top and that seemed to work well so should be OK there for at least a while. Hopefully this will all work out. As the years go by it gets harder and harder to spend multiple nights on the ground. My hips are in pain by the end of the 3rd night.

Hammock
    WBBBB dbl1.1 mint
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix,DIY
    Suspension
    whoopies
    congrats on the BB.....

I also love to sleep on my side...

I think once you nail down your sweet spot and exactly how you like your bird to hang- how high your foot end is compared to your head that is , and how much sag is in your ridgeline....you should have no problem

anyway, I found my sweet spot and can sleep on my right or left with no problems....

good luck.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Ditto. I'm a dedicated side sleeper and can sleep very comfortably in my BB on either my left or my right. It's all about experimentation and finding your sweet spot. Just get out there and keep trying, you'll find it eventually.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Foot end a little higher than your head and inch your shoulder out to the left toward the zipper a little more, put the feet in the footbox....

man. Now I'm feelin' sleepy just thinking about it.

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    Congrads, I too am a side sleeper and have no problems sleeping that way with the BB. Welcome to HF.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My name is Russ and I am a Side Sleeper. "Hello Russ"

While I cannot sleep on my back in a bed there is a wonderful side/back position that is my sweet spot in my BB. Yes, welcome to HF!
    "Well, you might be lazy, but if we were not all about comfort here this would be a tent forum!" - - Roadtorque

Hammock
    Warbonet BB 1.1d, BB 1.7d
    Tarp
    Big MJ, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB quilts, Volara
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorus View Post
    My name is Russ and I am a Side Sleeper. "Hello Russ"

While I cannot sleep on my back in a bed there is a wonderful side/back position that is my sweet spot in my BB. Yes, welcome to HF!
    YES! Same here on the back sleeping deal. That sweet spot gives you that spacey snooze letting out a snort and snore so peacfully.
    "It's like a giant net for catching lazy people"
    "You never see anyone crying in a hammock" -Jim Gaffigan on Hammocks
    NorseAmerican

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images
    Thanks everyone for the responses. The dog was quite last night so I gave it another try. This time with a massive ancient flannel sleeping bag hanging down below. I liked that arrangement much better. The hammock conforms to the contours of my back much better than with the pad, allowing some back sleep. The night was much more restful than any I can remember having on the ground in recent years. No way I'm taking a 10+ lb sleeping bag with me to serve as an UQ, so I guess I am in the market for one of those now. Leaning toward the Mt Washington at this point. My legs get cold easy and will ruin a nights attempt at sleep, so I want to be sure that whatever I have will provide coverage there. Not sure how a mat would work under just my legs, but based on my very limited testing I am inclined to steer away from a pad.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My experience is teaching me that if I keep my trunk warm, my limbs do well also. Since I hike as light as possible a shorter under quilt is the ticket. For me and many of the hangers on HF, we use our sit pad under our feet. Bottom line is comfort and warmth. The Te-Wa UQ is working great for me.
    "Well, you might be lazy, but if we were not all about comfort here this would be a tent forum!" - - Roadtorque

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorus View Post
    My experience is teaching me that if I keep my trunk warm, my limbs do well also.
    My experience is somewhat different. Even at home in bed I find that if I can keep my legs warm I don't need as much cover over my torso. But if my legs get at all cold, I am awake until I get move covers over them.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast