WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Peapod in warm weather?

I'm curious what the peapod would be like in warm weather. I don't have the money to buy a lot of season specific gear, so I'm considering going with the "lowest common denominator" and expanding from there. I have enough odds and ends that I could combine with the peapod to take me to any temperature I'd desire to backpack in. Is the peapod flexible enough that I could use it in some of the medium months like spring and fall when a pad alone might fail?

Thanks!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Certainly. You can vent it by hanging it loosely, leaving it open, or by closing it up and suspending it 'entirely' beneath the hammock.

The only drawback to that is the extra weight in the shoulder seasons.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Arrowhead 11 ft
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Arrowhead,Peapod,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I used mine at the Hot Spring hang in moderated temps, maybe 60 f at night. The most comfortable night I have had in a hammock because I did not need a pad. The design is so flexable!! I plan on using mine in all but the heat of summer.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Grass skirt
    Ed said that on really hot nights he can leave one end of it on the ground (presumably on a groundsheet) while the other is attached. If it gets cold, you can reach down and pull some of the velcro together, sealing it as much as you need.
    Very flexible. And in cold weather, unbeatable!
    I love mine to bits.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    you guys are making my plastic nervous. I just bought airline tickets to Tanzania and it just about melted, and now I'm inches from buying a new speer hammock setup with peapod.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Grass skirt
    Buy it. You won't regret it. I bought mine because I liked the assurance of knowing that I would always be warm enough, even if I skimped on insulative clothing.

As far as weight goes:
    Summer setup: Blackbird, Yeti, JRB Stealth: around 1700g
    Winter Setup: DIY Speer, Peapod: around 1800g

That's right. 100g difference between my summer and winter setup!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
    Buy it. You won't regret it. I bought mine because I liked the assurance of knowing that I would always be warm enough, even if I skimped on insulative clothing.

As far as weight goes:
    Summer setup: Blackbird, Yeti, JRB Stealth: around 1700g
    Winter Setup: DIY Speer, Peapod: around 1800g

That's right. 100g difference between my summer and winter setup!
    It works for sure. I'm trying to think if I have ever heard of any one who was not warm enough ( at least on the bottom) at least to the rated temp of say 20*F? I think there must be at least one who couldn't quite reach it's potential, but I can't remember who.

Of course you probably won't get 20*F on top, IMO, though depending on hammock width you might get pretty darn close. Especially with some judicious use of clothing to help seal of the lower half. And then of course, there is the cld "close completely" trick, which is a major warmth booster, if you are not too claustrophobic.

Wow, only 100 gram dif summer vs winter? Impressive! Is that Pea Pod used without a top quilt? If so, you apparently consider it warmer ( Pea Pod alone) than a JRB Stealth? Of course, it is thicker and you would expect it to be warmer, but I'm thinking of the hammocks tendency to lift the pod, reducing warmth.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-08-2009 at 20:39.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Grass skirt
    Hi Bob. No top quilt used. And I do think the top of the peapod is warmer than the stealth. Certainly thicker.

The other weekend on my trip with Hitchhiking, we had a super windy night, around freezing. I used the peapod alone, fully sealed and was fine. I hang it a bit looser than usual, then pull the extra into the hammock with me, if that makes sense. So that it is directly against my body. Should note that I have the 30 degree model.

I'm a little worried about my upcoming canadian trip, so have decided to have my homemade down hammock:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...&cutoffdate=-1

inside the peapod, with my JRB Stealth on top of me. Hope that with a down filled jacket I'll be fine. Should be a good 5 or 6 inches of down above and below!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
    Hi Bob. No top quilt used. And I do think the top of the peapod is warmer than the stealth. Certainly thicker.

The other weekend on my trip with Hitchhiking, we had a super windy night, around freezing. I used the peapod alone, fully sealed and was fine. I hang it a bit looser than usual, then pull the extra into the hammock with me, if that makes sense. So that it is directly against my body. Should note that I have the 30 degree model.

I'm a little worried about my upcoming canadian trip, so have decided to have my homemade down hammock:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...&cutoffdate=-1

inside the peapod, with my JRB Stealth on top of me. Hope that with a down filled jacket I'll be fine. Should be a good 5 or 6 inches of down above and below!
    That should do it! How cold are you expecting?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Grass skirt
    -10 degrees C. we don't have anything that cold in Australia, so don't know what to expect.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast