Eno DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    WB Ridgerunner, the JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock and the Eureka Chrysalis.
    As for recommended user height from each website:

WB Ridgerunner = 6'6"
    JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock = 6'3"
    Eureka Chrysalis = 6’4″
    DD UltraLight Jungle = 6'5"

So all very close, I wonder where they get these numbers from?

The Eureka Chrysalis looks great though, IMPO. I emailed him asking about current availability.
    EDIT: ^ Nevermind, looking at a review, the spreader poles would be right on my face at 6'5", and it's 5+ lbs, it's too heavy for me.
    Last edited by ryanscottdavis; 07-07-2015 at 17:00. Reason: Added note to Eureka Chrysalis comment

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanscottdavis View Post
    The DD SuperLight Jungle Hammock has spreader poles at both ends, does this not make it a bridge hammock? Maybe I am thinking about this wrong?
    No, the DD does not have spreader bars. Not the same type as a bridge hammock, anyway. You can see the difference when you look at the bottom of the hammock: a gathered end hammock will always have a D-shape (the D lying on the belly); bridge hammocks look like a tube cut in half. The DD hammock simply has tent poles that you put through the net to increase the room inside the hammock. It doesn't change the lay.

I agree, but I've been emailing DD and they say that I'll be okay, the "floor" is around 6'5", with an extra foot on each end. I do agree that it's not a ton of room, but being this tall, I always feel claustrophobic.
    Of course they would say that. They want to sell hammocks. And you will be able to lie in it. But if you will be able to be really comfortable is a whole other issue. Maybe you'll be fine, since it sounds like you have never used another hammock. You don't know what you'll be missing. But in my opinion, you are too tall for a hammock that small. I own a DD hammock - the Frontline, which doesn't have the fancy upper part. I'm only 165cm / 5'4", and I can sleep in it. But I wouldn't want it to be any smaller. There are a couple of taller users on the forum, but none over 6' if I recall it correctly.

I can understand that you don't want to wait 2 weeks, but Warbonnet is not the only hammock maker. Have a look at the Switchback hammocks: http://www.tttrailgear.com/camping-hammocks/ They have a summer sale going on, which to me sounds that there is no waiting time. The design is the same as with DD hammock, but 10', which will make *a lot* of difference to you. Also, the quality should be noticeably better.

If you want a bridge hammock but can't wait now, think about going with a simple gathered end plus bug sock now, and upgrade later, when you have the time. You could also check the For Sale section, or post in the Wanted forum. You might get lucky and find a Ridgerunner.

In any case: the DD hammock you selected is very expensive for what it is, and if you find it uncomfortable, you won't be able to recover much of your costs when selling it on. DDs are not very popular because they are tiny and mass-produced. The cheaper DDs are good value for smaller people who are only getting into hammocks and don't want to break the bank. There are a few who stick with it, but most either upgrade or lose interest in hammocks completely.

If you need recommendations for no-net hammocks / bug socks, just let us know.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    As for recommended user height from each website:

WB Ridgerunner = 6'6"
    JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock = 6'3"
    Eureka Chrysalis = 6’4″
    DD UltraLight Jungle = 6'5"

So all very close, I wonder where they get these numbers from?
    I would trust WB and JRB a lot more than Eureka and DD. WB and JRB are small businesses that make their own hammocks. Eureka and DD a big companies that have their hammocks produced in the Far East. This not only means a difference in quality, but the mass produced hammocks likely also vary in length. I just bought a Therm-a-Rest Slacker hammock, that should have been 10' long. It's quite a bit shorter.

The small businesses usually get their numbers from testing (often with people of this forum). They don't have any interest to euphemize their specs, because a large part of their sales comes from this community. If they were to give exaggerated numbers, there would be negative discussions on here, which would be bad for their businesses. The large companies on the other hand live from selling their stuff in big shops worldwide. They don't need word of mouth. The Chrysalis is still high quality, but it's also a lot more expensive than DD. My guess is, DD sells mostly to hammock novices, or those who either cannot or don't want to spend more - or those who have not many alternatives due to where they live (e.g. Europe).

The Eureka Chrysalis looks great though, IMPO. I emailed him asking about current availability.
    EDIT: ^ Nevermind, looking at a review, the spreader poles would be right on my face at 6'5", and it's 5+ lbs, it's too heavy for me.
    Yes, the Chrysalis is no flyweight. All bridge hammocks are a bit more heavy than most gathered ends. But you could lighten it up by exchanging the suspension and eliminate the tent fly (and use a tarp instead - which is what most users do). I think Derek wrote a bit about it here.

Yes, you would probably lie under the spreader bars, but they would not be in your face. The bars are quite high up. But you probably have to take care when coming up into a sitting position. And maybe the Chrysalis is a bit too short for somebody your size. But don't think that the DD will be less confining. It is a lot shorter. There are no spreader bars, but you'll be very close to the ends, which will likely mean shoulder squeeze.

I don't want to badmouth DD. Their hammocks have their uses. But I really think that you won't be happy with a hammock that size.

Hammock
    Eno DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Thanks for all the suggestions and recommendations.

Maybe you'll be fine, since it sounds like you have never used another hammock. You don't know what you'll be missing.
    Correct, I've only used an ENO DoubleNest, so I only have experience with that gathered end hammock.

There are a couple of taller users on the forum, but none over 6' if I recall it correctly.
    Really?! I must be a real rare bird here, maybe taller-person hammocks is an untapped niche market...

That Tree to Tree Switchback Hammock looks great! I'm still a novice at hammocking, it's so interesting to keep discovering all these smaller hammock makers! I emailed Warbonet asking about the RR, and I was surprised to learn that the RR doesn't have any interior clothes/ridge line of sorts. I've seen a few hammocks with this option, it seems very useful to hang a light, put glasses on, etc.... just saying. People seem to treat the WBRR like the Cadillac of hammocks.

With all this information, I'm thinking I should do the first 2-3 weeks of my trip in my DoubleNest, to really get into how a gathered ends/diagonal lay works and feels, and see what direction I want to go in. I'll be traveling from Maine through to the Adirondack's for that period of time, and with all that camping I think I'll get a much better idea of what works for me.

Thanks!
    Ryan

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    There are a couple of taller users on the forum, but none over 6' if I recall it correctly.
    Really?! I must be a real rare bird here, maybe taller-person hammocks is an untapped niche market..
    Ah, that's a misunderstanding. I didn't express myself very well; what I meant is, that I don't recall any DD hammock users over 6' that liked their DD hammock (all DDs are the same short length).

Hammock
    Eno DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Your post was very helpful. I'm now around 1000 miles into my trip. So far, it's amazing. Because of you I packed a backpack, and you're right, they're beyond helpful. I packed my favorite one because I really thought I'd want it, and I have. I'm from Maine, so I started there. This will be first of many tours. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Bike-N-Hike View Post
    My biggest regret was not taking a small (35L) backpack.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12