Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Images
    Accrete, that set up looked great, and awesome view.

Why the extra tarp? Just more shade?

Hammock
    eno dbl wbbb 1.7 dbl,dangerbird72
    Tarp
    ugq wd 12
    Insulation
    kaq/ugq tq uq
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    your anchor shackle may say 1700lbs but thats an end to end pull you are side loading it with a fulcrum it will very likely fail at some point.try to get it with the pin down and attach to pin. or pin up and attach to bell. still a nice looking stand

Hammock
    WB-BB 1.7DBL WB-RR 1.1DBL
    Tarp
    2x WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Selk'Bag Patagon
    Suspension
    TATO Stands
    Images
    Greetings all & thx for the comments and Q's : )

Quote Originally Posted by Rekoob View Post
    Accrete...Why the extra tarp? Just more shade?
    Shade for sure. We had a week of cloudless blue sky. Rare for us on the Coast! and to save us from the falling leaves dropping from the surrounding deciduous trees. Last camp we were surrounded by Pine trees and by the end of the week the top of the Noah had been carefully batted from below on a daily basis to get the needles off tarp. Just about the same time trip but various flat leafs.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyg View Post
    your anchor shackle may say 1700lbs but thats an end to end pull you are side loading it with a fulcrum it will very likely fail at some point.try to get it with the pin down and attach to pin. or pin up and attach to bell. still a nice looking stand
    THX for the info mattyg. I'm trying to picture what u r saying. Sooooo... the pin should ideally be horizontal and then take any line to support ridgepole off the pin rather than the SS shackle?

Thom
    Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon - Accrete.com
    mine:WB-BB hers:WB-RR, 2xWB SuperFly

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/FlghtJckt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by accrete View Post
    We had fun. It actually took us longer to shop than put it together.
    I 2nd this.
    Thanks for the inspiration, I built mine yesterday. I did read somewhere that if you have the proper angles on your straps, the tension on the long bar is pretty small and you can use the same 3/4" EMT for that as well.
    Worked for me. Those pipes are pretty soft when 10 ft long - 'encouraging' them to be straight took little effort before I started the build, but after I had my 200+ lbs under it, I could detect no bends in it.

HamStand2.jpg
    Kid approved.

One other change was I put eyebolts out the ends of the long pipe and used those attachment points.
    hamstand4.jpg

Thanks again for the inspiration - Now I can hang in my tree-less back yard!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyg View Post
    I think the 3/4" conduit would fail before the shackle would. For that matter the rope people are using to suspend the bar, will likely fail first too. You are probably right that is wouldn't hold to the rated weight, but still will to anything reasonable.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    I just finished my first hang trip - WOW! Part of it used the hammock stands. I modified mine to have the tripod poles come apart for transport, and the mod worked perfectly. Very stable setup. Thanks accrete.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekoob View Post

Has anyone put some limiting line on the legs? Not sure it's needed but I'm wondering.
    Yes, I put small eyebolts at the bottom of each leg and then used some small line and s-biners to connect them. It is more for consistency in my spacing than to keep the legs from wandering. I was very pleased with the system this week. Setup was mindless, spread them until the 3 lines are taut, you're set.

Hammock
    Tarp
    2x WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Selk'Bag Patagon
    Suspension
    TATO Stands
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkI View Post
    I 2nd this.
    Thanks for the inspiration, I built mine yesterday...Kid approved.

One other change was I put eyebolts out the ends of the long pipe and used those attachment points.
    hamstand4.jpg

Thanks again for the inspiration - Now I can hang in my tree-less back yard!!
    Greetings Mark! Glad you are enjoying the labor of your DIY project.
    I like the creativity of the eyebolts on the end. Keep us updated on your thoughts/use of the 3/4" EMT toprail...i'm not sure i'm that brave yet : )

Thank you for the kudos. Though as stated in the OP the original design was Banana Hammock's a couple years back. I picked up on it seeing there was no need for much tool use. . . and the last post by him was ~2014 summer??? All that said... thank you all for the additional ideas and creativity on your part.

Quote Originally Posted by raftingtigger View Post
    I think the 3/4" conduit would fail before the shackle would. For that matter the rope people are using to suspend the bar, will likely fail first too. You are probably right that is wouldn't hold to the rated weight, but still will to anything reasonable.
    I switched over two campouts ago to using an extra two pairs of ENO Atlas Straps. They worked great from shackle to RP then continued toward the Hennessy and WBBB's biners. Then I thought hey, why not spend some more money and fulfill my hammock gadget junkie habit and pick up a couple pair of "Daisy Chain" climbing webbing. I picked up four 24" daisy chains rated at 27kN (info link) and they worked perfectly! Now I have our ENO AS for any tree hangs.

How we use our DCs is to put the large loop through the shackle. Then we put the end of the RP through the second loop. Then we have the other loops for the biner attachment from the hammock. All one single flow from shackle/anchor to biner.

Quote Originally Posted by raftingtigger View Post
    Yes, I put small eyebolts at the bottom of each leg and then used some small line and s-biners to connect them. It is more for consistency in my spacing than to keep the legs from wandering. I was very pleased with the system this week. Setup was mindless, spread them until the 3 lines are taut, you're set.
    Might try that rt... thx for sharing. Gotta keep the wife happy and safe from falling steel if she hops in the Amok again!

: ) Thom

Hammock
    Tarp
    2x WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Selk'Bag Patagon
    Suspension
    TATO Stands
    Images
    Though it would be prudent to post this info in this thread for any who may come this way with a radical design such as the Amok v3... this was originally posted over at the TATO Gear Hammock Stand thread (link):

I ordered the pair (of TATO stand kits) for my wife and my use with our Amok v3's as we are both hammock and gadget junkies : )
    We are currently using a 3/4" EMT tripod design originally posted by Banana Hammock a couple years back. While I am having no issues with the conduit stands (thread link here) I think the conduit stand as currently designed is a better fit for traditional designed hammocks rather than the radical design of the Amok.

You can see the 3/4" EMT with my warbonnet is one solution to a portable no-wood stand and plenty strong as my wife and I have hung together seated in the WBBB as a weight test (~300lbs total) without issue:

and here it is with the Amok.

The issue comes in when you want to adjust the Amok and if one were to follow the Amok instructions you would unweight yourself (hop up while sitting in Amok) and pull on the tensioning straps to go from sleep mode to lounge mode... this is the action that caused the DIY conduit stand to come un-connected at ridgepole and come falling down.

I'm also wondering about the use of 1"EMT for the ridgepole. . . and plan to utilize our 10ft 1 3/8" fence top rail (cut in half) as an initial test.

YMMV
    Thom

...end of TATO thread post...

Hammock
    Tarp
    2x WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Selk'Bag Patagon
    Suspension
    TATO Stands
    Images
    ; ) Conduit stand on STEROIDS

My wife and I did a test set up of our two Amoks, Hennessy Expedition, and WBBB (without any tarps for the photo op)... our kids are visiting and we wanted to see if it was feasible to have all four on the DIY conduit stands I made and have a Walton's "Good night John Boy" moment in camp : ) I think this should be a kick. Certainly it will be a one of a kind camp set up!

Thom

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast