Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    I wonder if a thread and article are in order for hammocking similar to what was on WB for hiking. I think the thread was the Tips and Tricks article. This way everyone could post their ideas and hammock tricks/setups.

One of the things I like about WB are the articles. We could also have people write articles for this forum about different aspects of hammocking. These could be posted and open for comments, then final versions could be posted. I little more work, but could be helpful.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I have been working on a beginners hammock thread for a few days now. I am including pics, links, DIY info and a glossary as well as other stuff. I will get it finished up and posted this weekend.

It's been kinda slow going as I am basically doing everything by hand (alphabetizing , adding links, etc). It will be an ongoing project but I can have the main part of it posted by Sunday.

Ewker,

Where are you hiking in the Red River Gorge? I go there all the time as it's only about 45 minutes from my house. It's beautiful there.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    We could post it as an article like we do on WhiteBlaze and then the person maintaining that article could just update as required or we could have it as a sperate listing like we do the shelter listing on WhiteBlaze.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    IMHO, a beginner's thread (or article) should be the first thing that is seen when a new user comes to the site. Maybe we could sticky it somewhere on the homepage.

Attroll,
    Like I said I am going to finish the thread up this weekend. Let me know how you think would be the best way of doing it. I would like to have some format that I can readily and easily add to and edit.

I also had and idea of a wikipedia style thread that could be edited and added to by other members, with proper clearance of course. I have never done anything like this, but I am open to suggestions.

Also, if anybody has a suggestion for something they think should be in the thread, shoot me a PM and let me know, and I will try to include it.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    ewker... good idea about clearing up the basics. i think a lot of people get left behind because the ones that are trying to be helpful & give instruction forget to make sure the new preson understands the basics.
    one thing i noticed in your 1st post (this thread) was the stability issue<G>.
    a lot of people have layed in a hammock with spreader bars & found out how unstable they are (gilligan`s island?). but the type of hammocks we use for backpacking are MUCH more stable.... some more than others... because you lay lower in the hammock than the attachment points.
    others here can probably explain that better, but at least that`s a start.
    ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Where are you hiking in the Red River Gorge? I go there all the time as it's only about 45 minutes from my house. It's beautiful there.

We went in at Martins Fork Trailhead and camped there Friday night. Sat morning we followed the Rough Trail towards Sheltowee (sp) Trail. We have a spot we camp off the trail. It is about a mile walk back to a nice campsite,then we head out to the point. You can see the trailhead at the suspension bridge from the point. That is where we hiked out at.

I will post my pics to my webshots albums this week.
    I don't know if I can post my pics here because they are not hammock camping.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey guys - headchange sent us the beginners thread...we're troubleshooting how to set it up so it can be easily updated and still look nice and all. It's coming!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

any update

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i had said that i would work on a beginner's hammocking article, & i did start one.
    frolicking dino did a great job of sprucing up what i had started, but i began to get bogged down w/ thoughts about how this & that should be explained or a link should be added all that kind of stuff.
    fact is i just dropped the ball on that one. sorry
    but from what i've seen of headchange4u's work, he will do a great job w/ it, & i appreciate it. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Will there be a section on snot rockets? Inquiring minds want to know! BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast