Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Best wishes on your trip. It can go horribly wrong, or it can be a wonderful experience. One thing you've learned, is to think about how your actions will affect your loved ones. I think that's the most important part.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 40 UQ
    Suspension
    Strap/Whoopie
    Images
    I wasn't quite clear on if you're car camping or close to the campground so FWIW - yes, bring the tent, set it up first - tarp over the hammock vs under the tent for this trip? Then setup hammocks. I always approach the new camp as if it's just about to rain. No panic, just first things first. If it does rain an hour later, you've got a place to cook/eat and stay dry under 1 of the tarps. Help the kids always, but show and teach what you know if they're interested so they can do it next time. Set the young'uns up close to you & the 18 year old can pick, but help her. Keep track of your weaknesses and backfill those in later at home. Enjoy the time with your kids and the woods - it's so precious. Take some pixs and show us!

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    What an absolutely wonderful group ...

These hammock campers.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    11' DH DangerBird
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    WL TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    runningwithscissors22, You've Got This! Don't worry about the tarp below the tent, just be mindful if you set it up. If you're worried about rain a couple of trash bags over your girls duffle bags will help. I normally put a trash bag in my pack and pack my clothes in it, but it sounds like your bags may already be packed. This trick has saved me a couple of times.

Otherwise just roll with what you know. You'll be surprised at what you know as long as you stay calm and take one step at a time. Encourage your kids, you may be surprised at what they know or can figure out. I can't say it any better than peartree, "Enjoy the time with your kids and the woods - it's so precious."

Have an Awesome Trip!

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Sounds like you got the 'list' down so enjoy the drive to camp, set your tarps up first then work away at everything else while enjoying the time with your kids.
    I wouldn't fuss with the tent ..but you have it should it be needed. Nothing wrong with Plan B

ENJOY THE WEEKEND!!!!!
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    Wanderlust SE Robin's Egg Blue
    Tarp
    Wanderlust Special
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    For what it's worth, we are car camping. We are planning on a couple of short hikes, but we don't have to backpack in. Thanks for the support. I know I can do it, just get stressed about forgetting things. Plan B is tent and plan c is the car.

Love the plastic bag idea!

Images
    [QUOTE=runningwithscissors22;147991................ ...............
    The forecast is calling for Thunderstorms. This is what is making me nervous. I'm picturing myself trying to set up FOUR hammock/tarp combinations in a storm. I'm second-guessing my decision to leave the Bear Fortune Cookie (tent) in storage and am considering picking it up on our way out. None of us want to go to the ground and we finally have enough equipment to actually do this.
    ............................[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    Take the tent. It's a good fall-back that keeps you out there and prevents your being totally defeated.

As weather permits pursue your original plan.

If anyone wants to opt for the tent then it's there. No harm, no foul.

Camping is like war or church work: plans are great until you actually meet the enemy!

Otherwise, it sounds like you're good to go.
    Like others have said: take the tent.......... and cushy pads for the ground if all else fails. You are car camping, right? So, no problem carrying plenty of insurance like the tent.

I guess it is a little late for me to tell you to practice setting up your tarps, but you should have no trouble with the thunderstorms. It's actually much easier than setting up a tent in the rain. Just keep your rain gear on, and set the tarps up, with enough height to barely stand up. When the tarps are well set up and staked against the wind(if possible, skip stakes and tie off tarp sides to small trees, bushes, logs or roots), then get under the tarps and take a break and gather your wits if needed. Since you are car camping, maybe even take a lawn chair or 2, so you can take a break if needed while the rain pours. Then when you are ready, take the end of one hammock out of either your pack or it's stuff sack/Bishop sack, and while staying under the tarp as much as possible, reach out and put your straps/suspension around one tree. Approximate the suspension length, but obviously enough to allow you to keep the hammock ends under the tarps and dry. Then just walk the other end of the hammock to the other end and repeat. The whole time you are under the already set up tarp. When both ends are attached, make final adjustments of th hammock so both ends are equally well covered and the tension is right for comfort. Repeat for other tarps and hammocks if your family is not already taking care of all of that.

In fact, if you end up having to set your tent up in a storm, even that will be much easier done if done under an already set up tarp.

Have fun with your adventure!

Hammock
    Handmade string & 1.1 dbl DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    Wiggys FTRSS, pluq
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    Images
    Go have fun. No matter what adjust as needed and laugh along the way. Take pictures to prove it happened.

My family has been on trips were important gear was left behind, weather was supposed to be good and wasn't, cold and wet we had fun in spite of it. Now we look back and laugh at the whole thing as we remember a sleeping bag is good to have for each of us if it might freeze. We did get some good snuggle time with the kids out of it.

Think of it more like making memories and less like everything has to be perfect. Unless things get dangerous don't abort just laugh and adjust.
    Mind over matter,
    if you don't mind, it don't matter

Images
    Don't forget drip lines(string, shoe laces whatever) for each end of each hammock to divert water running down your suspension to ground.

Hammock
    Wanderlust SE Robin's Egg Blue
    Tarp
    Wanderlust Special
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    More great advice!

Note to self: drip lines.

1. I've packed my sense of humor and have instilled it in my kids.

2. I have packed my ginormous tarp. Must be 12'x24'.

3. I love that I have this forum to hash this all out. Thanks for all the suggestions, well-wishes, experiences and help. I will report when we get back.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast