Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    Wiggys FTRSS, pluq
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamper Kurt View Post

Now I need to make a single layer for my son and a couple bug nets. After that I will work on an UQ.
    Oh where will it stop. I'm no addict, I just need to make one little improvement. I started with a repair and am now 12 rigs in with no end in sight. I even replaced my wife's sewing machine with 3 thread injectors. But i can stop whenever I want....

BTW looks great for a first go at it.
    Mind over matter,
    if you don't mind, it don't matter

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamper Kurt View Post
    Ok, got it out to the woods where I could stretch it out a bit.
    No problems with it at all now that I was able to hang it at the correct length, although I do think that it could benefit from a foot box. I need to look for a thread now on how to measure and add that.
    Attachment 111293
    It looks much better now. But still a bit strange on the edges (on the two lower pictures). Don't know whether you have sewn the edges along the long sides already together.

There are a lot of possibilities how you can make a footbox. The main possibilities:

1) Warbonnet BB style of footbox (included in the top cover)

2) SGT Rock's Ghost Hammock footbox (similar on a Woodsman X Hammock)

3) Best fit method with a fabric triangle. This way you can find a unique solution which fits best for you. One corner of the triangle can be included in your whipping. The other corner in the middle should be about there where your tiptoes are. The last corner somewhere in the middle of your hammock.

You can try the dimensions I have computed there:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1421043

There is one common problem with all footboxes you can contemplate. You can get problems on the side where the footbox is if you use your hammock in chair mode. Therefore I think you need a good plan which covers all aspects (bugnet, zipper etc.).

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl_hanger View Post
    It looks much better now. But still a bit strange on the edges (on the two lower pictures). Don't know whether you have sewn the edges along the long sides already together.
    Yes, I think that there are two contributing factors to the edge.

The first factor, which is not that noticeable, is that when I was sewing the two individual layers I did a rolled hem along the longs side separately, not together. Then to join the two layers I just stitched them together with the insides to the outside. Then after this was complete I turned it inside out. I did this because it hides the stitching now on the outside and you cannot see it. It was an idea that I found in a discussion here. But whether because of how I assembled it, or my stitching not being completely straight, the edge can roll back and forth maybe a quarter inch. So while not being perfect, I am still okay with it. I will have to try out different ideas over time to decide what I like.

The second factor is what you are probably really noticing. About 1/4 of the way in on opposite sides, I left a 2 foot opening for inserting a pad. These openings don't always line up perfectly when laying in the hammock, but they are spaced perfectly and make it super easy to insert and adjust a pad. I think that I could move them another foot toward the end to make them less visible, but they seem to work really well right where they are. So I am willing to forgo the slight visibility for functionality. On researching the positioning some people liked the hole centered on the hammock and others more towards the ends. Having had my daughter insert and adjust the pad a few times I think I made a good choice. Next time I hang it I could add a photo that shows the pad and how the two openings line up.

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Ok i understand now what you did. It's the Xtrekker method and sewing two individual roll hems exactly the same length (even if the fabric has exactly the same size in the beginning) is not so easy if the fabric stretches a bit. On the side where you started to make a french seam (the side where you have no pad opening) you can make another stitchline and the problem should be gone. On the other side you can still use a seam ripper, if necessary. I don't know how it looks like and how you want to proceed.

I made my hammock a bit different. I made roll hems on both sides (hem to the inside of both layers) and then I sandwiched a zipper tape between these two layers. First I sewed the roll hem of the outer layer to the zipper tape on both sides and finally the inner layer on the other side of the zipper tape (up to the areas where I have pad openings on both sides).
    Last edited by xxl_hanger; 07-05-2015 at 12:36.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12