Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Actually it's pretty easy to compare:

Shelter: Hammock (and bug net), Tarp, and sometime ground sheet vs Tent, Rain Fly, and sometimes ground sheet
    Bottom Insulation: Underquilt or Pad vs Pad
    Top Insulation: Sleepingbag or Top Quilt (same for both)
    I think boston has it. Top and bottom insulation, weight-wise, are pretty darn equal in weight when comparing a tent vs. hammock. That leads the tent itself, vs. a hammock + bug protection + tarp to compare the weight.

If we take a staple of UL tents (within monetary sanity...i.e. no $600+ Zpacks cuben tent) like a TarpTent, you're looking at around 29-35 ounces (can vary a bit depending on the model). That's pretty easy to match in weight with a hammock. You can get something like a Dream Hammock Darien for 16 ounces, 3 ounces for suspension, which leaves 10-16 ounces for a tarp. The only full coverage tarp (i.e. with doors) that fits into that weight range is cuben and is expensive. You can also get an 11' tarp like the Warbonnet Edge which will come into that weight limit as well but not have as much coverage from the sides.

Once you get into cuben fiber tents, which can come in at a 16-17 ounces, there's nothing else in the hammock world that can compare really (there is...but you're looking at a shorter hammock, which you better weigh around 140 pounds to not max out the weight limit of, with a really skimpy coverage tarp...and maybe not even a bug net...but I don't count that as a fair comparison to the full coverage you get from a tent).
    Last edited by Dochartaigh; 07-07-2015 at 12:46.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ground dwellers can always be lighter than hangers because they don't carry a hammock. We carry shelter, top/bottom insulation and a hammock. They only have to carry shelter and top/bottom insulation. That's just the way it is. However, you can't weigh comfort and that goes a long way in my book.

However, you can still be ridiculously light weight with a hammock setup.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by jrmyh View Post
    So I've got my hammock setup and I'm very happy with it. The only downside is that it actually weighs more than my friends 2 person kelty tent. Right now I'm using the pacific rap ring/caribiner suspension setup and I was wondering if I would see a noticeable difference in the weight if I swapped over to the dutchware setup (http://www.dutchwaregear.com/cinch-b...uspension.html)

I have the hennessy asym zipper model, with the hex deluxe tarp wrapped in snake skins all stuffed into the bag and like I said it's noticeably heavier than his tent. The rings and biners don't weigh much by themself but I guess all together I'm adding weight? Should I go to the cinch buckle system?

Thanks in advance!
    That will save some weight. How much IDK. Weigh your rings and carabiner. The cinch buckles also are very easy to use. But you will need to separate the tarp from hammock if you already haven't.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    If weight is the only issue, then to win the contest bring nothing and sleep in the dirt. In general all gear decisions should be based on "the right tool for the job" mantra. Summer weight gear doesn't fare well in winter (but it is lighter). A minimalist tarp doesn't fare well in stormy conditions (but it is lighter). A beer can pot doesn't fare well on a trip with real cooking (but it is lighter). Focus on the trip requirements and choose the lightest gear for safety and enjoyment (to paraphrase from Nessmuk).
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    IMO most the posters are spot on, however My point is this; even though the tent may be lighter its missing its sleeping comfort item, the lonesome tent cot; when ground dwellers can get a cot under a lb to equal or be near the same off the ground comfort then I will compare systems. I think when making a comparison it should be equal; the same unbalanced argument would be tent vs tarp for shelter.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    I look at the overall weight picture. My base pack weight, back in the day, was 32 lbs. without food, fuel, or water. That was a ground setup and I was carrying 1/2 of a 2 person tent.

Now I am down to 10lbs. or so, for the same trip, with a hammock.

If my kit was 5-10 oz lighter with a tent over the hammock, I would still take my hammock.

So my point would be: look at your whole kit and base it on YOUR comfort and don't try to keep up with the ground dweller. When you are hanging in a cocoon of downey or synthetic goodness umungst the trees getting the best night's sleep one can get in the woods, the extra few ounces have no meaning.

Oh, and Dutch bling makes me happy, so get some if it will make you happy, not because you are counting grams, unless that makes you happy.
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12