Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images

DIY WINTER UQ ideas and questions

so i've been diy'n as many different things as i am able within financial constraints since i got the hammock bug last year, i've made whoopie slings, soft shackles, and continuous loops out of amsteel, dynaglide, spectra, and zing-it. i sewed one UQ out of a double layered fleece blanket (folded over, sewn with a 20" gap in one side to allow the addition of a pad or space blanket) that works wonders [under full blast A/C] and built one P.L.U.Q., with a different layout than the one i've seen here, that does an amazing job of keeping the heat in except that it 'wonders' out from underneath [will be corrected with two little tabs on each end of the diagonal i sleep on] and a i've sewn two top quilts (one that holds out under full direct A/C blast, and one that doesn't quite stack up) but they're both just two layers of sheets inside a fleece blanket. although i'm not too concerned with gram-counting for my first few camping trips, these things are bulky and not light. i've been rolling an idea for a design for an under quilt around in my noggin since i realized my PLUQ isn't gunna handle winter, but i'm not sure if its been done before or if it would work. i'm also not sure i shouldn't build/test/perfect it and then sell them in my local area. loft is important for a fluffy UQ to operate with maximum efficiency, and i'm thinking that fluffy is going to have to be it for winter. if i layer two pieces of .9 ripstop with more ripstop [or a mylar blanket or sheet of climasheild or for that matter] for the center layer with alternating layers of rows with stuffing|seam|stuffing below seam|stuffing|seam so that looking at the end before the short edge is seamed appears as a row of coke cans lain abreast with a row of coke cans on top (i hope this paints the right mindpictures for you all) and then seam the ends, and reseam the long sides, with grosgrain for shockcord channels and cordlocks and plastic dutchware UQ hooks would i freeze? certainly the weight and type of stuffing will have an affect on the insulating properties of this haphazard creation, and i'll research that stuff deeply before i commit to any one type. i'm just looking to see if this has been done before, if it worked, if i'm missing something key. i've been throwing stuff together based on the designs on this site and at derek's ultimatehang[DOT]com, and i've made adjustments to those designs and tossed random ideas from my head together that worked WONDERFULLY (my no-sew pluq has snapbuttons but it's super legit). thanks a ton, i know you guys probably went through this with some other noob before, but i never found it. if my pluq sounds interesting to anyone, mention it here and i'll build a diagram.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I really can't picture what your design is based on the description you gave. Maybe draw something up in MS paint?

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    i feared my description wasn't going to be easily pictured in the mind. i'll get on the ms paint representation, but its not going to be pretty lol

Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    DIJself UQ END VIEW.png
    so i figure (with my limited knowledge) that if i just use one layer of insulation built this way i'll have coldspots at all the thinpoints between each channel. so i surmise that if i were to use three layers of fabric, the center one being a layer of thinsulate, or whatever the best iteration of a flat insulation is, and stagger the seams in this fashion that i'll eliminate those thinpoint coldspots. i REALLY want to use whatever the best available materials for this, but my knowledge is seedling in comparison to some of you veterans around here, so any input the members of this forum have to give will be greatly appreciated. hope that elementary mock-up helps.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Climashield comes in sheets, much like fabric. It only needs to be sewn around the edges, and doesn't need any quilting/baffling. So the only thin spots due to stitching are the edges which you won't likely be insulated by anyway.

Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    also, here's my iteration of the P.L.U.Q. i revamped from dehoja. i wasn't really in tune with the way his no-sew layed under me.
    Js PLUQ.jpg

Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    i'm trying to diy a subzero uq/tq combo. i LOVE winter camping (screw being hot with no a/c). im thinking that i might wanna do three layers of insulation in this fashion with climasheild or insultex layered twice underneath me. one pound of down is like $212, and i can get the rest of this stuff fairly cheap in comparison. i like the idea of synth loft because i know i'll get wet, and i know that is going to suck without a hot shower at hand. i've seen the three layer climashield uq patterns here and elsewhere, but they're all rated at like 35 degrees or 20 degrees and i fear that might not be enough. if i combine the three layer climasheild pattern with the 'coke can staggered' synth loft, i'll cook in my hammock. that what i'm going for, steam coming out of my hammock into the snow with me.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    You could just use multiple layers of a heavier climashield. I'd think 2 layers of 7.5 ought to be plenty. One layer of it is rated to 10*. Available from Ripstop by the Roll.

Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    psh!! i wish i had read deeper into the abilities of climashield before posting. now i can just buy three layers of this, sew one or two into my PLUQ for summer and have an additional layer for fall/winter. sweet. life just got way easier thanks to the brilliance of technological advancment and WaffleBox paying attention to details. so, now that you've fixed my ignorance on this subject here, would my design work really well to keep out coldspots if i made it with down and climashield as the center layer? seems like it'd work without a climashield center because down is so awesome. thanks so much wafflebox!

• + New Posts