N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images

"Hang Just About Anywhere" Ground Stakes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk8YnPJXtG4

This is prototype #7. I weigh ~165 and am suspended by 2 lone spikes. The angles to the spikes on the lines are FAR from optimal - if I spaced them farther from the uprights it would have been even stronger. Currently all aluminum design except the steel cable. Likely to use Stainless in the finished product and perhaps stainless cap on the aluminum bar to prevent mushrooming.

I haven't weighed it yet - I won't bother until I'm really happy with everything (probably another 10 revs or so

XexorZ

Last edited by Pitch; 10-09-2009 at 17:49. Reason: Embed video

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Nice work, keep it up.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps
    How deep are you burying the "anchor"? That's a pretty cool concept!

Hammock
    N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    That was about 12 inches when it "locked". I'm still working on getting them out easier. Lots of work to be done before this goes from "neat" to "I need one!"

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It would be interesting to see if it pulls out for retrieval from other type soils.

Maybe in some soils it may be necessary to leave part buried.?.?
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Ogee
    Insulation
    Jerry Chair
    Suspension
    whoopie
    very cool idea

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    OK, I can see carrying a aluminum step ladder,,, but them post hole diggers is HEAVY!!

Sorry, I could resist, but chose not to.

That actually looks like a good design. How do you put them in place? What type of soil were they in? How deep? Any tools needed for instillation? Do you NEED the rod for removal or would a stick or hiking pole do it?
    I'm betting that if used properly, you could hang from a cliff / rock face with them.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    It would be interesting to see if it pulls out for retrieval from other type soils.

Maybe in some soils it may be necessary to leave part buried.?.?
    Working on this. Right now it can get "stuck" and unless you're an elephant you will need to dig it out. I will figure out how to retrieve it every time no matter what - its just another design issue.

There will be a range of soils that it will work in and likely multiple types of anchors (likely three kinds) ranging from moist clay (smallest anchors) to loose sand (larger surface area) but for any given trip you will likely only need one type.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctari
    How do you put them in place? What type of soil were they in? How deep? Any tools needed for instillation? Do you NEED the rod for removal or would a stick or hiking pole do it?
    I'm betting that if used properly, you could hang from a cliff / rock face with them.
    The anchor fits on the machined aluminum rod end and is hammered in place. I used a hatchet to put these in. You could use piece of wood or decent sized hammer-stone to do the same thing.

Once in the ground the rod is removed leaving the anchor behind. The rod is then slipped in the cable loop and "yanked" up on to set the anchor. Still working on making this more reliable - sometimes it slides right out or half way up - this too will be cured

Right now to remove you just have to heave the soil up with the rod. A stick might work or it might leave you on your backside. I'd bet good money that you would bust your hiking pole in half if you tried to use it for this. Again though, I will come up with an "easy removal" system of some sort.

Soil is ~40/60 Clay/Humus and very moist.

I hang from each of them to test to make sure its strong enough. I hook the loop over a S hook on an I beam and hold the anchor like a handle and hang. That said, this isn't designed for overhead / dangerous situations like that - in fact I wouldn't hang my hammock higher than I was willing to fall from using these. But hey, wishful thinking!!

More to come!
    Last edited by Pitch; 10-09-2009 at 17:54.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    2 thoughts - one I'm sure you have already thought of the first.

1. spur on the buried dead man part. The spur would catch when the dead man is "set" and prevent it from coming up too far. Just bevel one end and then hammer the beveled point out of alignment.
    2. TI rod driver - 1/4" diameter TI rod. Available from McMaster-Carr, 12" for $11.89. The TI alloy they have is even harder, but the pure TI is good enough for this. If a longer rod is desired, the 36" length is $30.26 and can be cut down into 2 rods. Seems that 18" would be long enough and 2 people could each get one rod for $15.13 each. The rod I have is 32" and 4.15 oz, so an 18" rod would be approximately 2.3 oz. Maybe heavier than AL tubing, but it will take the hammer treatment better. Would probably want something with a bigger diameter than 1/4" for the buried dead man.
    3. Stainless Steel tubing - 1/4" diameter. Welded and drawn would work well. I have a piece 14.75", 1.55 oz.

The stainless tubing is lighter and cheaper than the TI rod and strong enough for the driver.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    Excellent ideas - I will keep them handy as things progress!

Q: What wall thickness is your SS tubing? VERY light (or so it seems!)

Re: TI - initially my thoughts we're "Titanium EVERYTHING!"... that is until I investigated the price! The pure TI is acceptable though. If AL w/ SS end cap doesn't hold up I will give this a spin.

Anchor is constructed (currently) of 1/2 aluminum tubing and appears to be PLENTY strong for the application but it won't take to bending tabs / barbs / etc at all (not plastic enough) but that SS tubing you mentioned would - assuming it is strong enough at the thickness needed to be light enough :-)

How many "anchors" do you think a person would carry?

I figure you need AT LEAST 2 if you have a dual Bi-Pod for your hammock... and carry at LEAST 1 spare... so 3 is a MINIMUM in my mind...

If you use dual Mono-Pod setup you need AT LEAST 4... and I'd carry 2 spare... so 6 "minimum"...

Thanks for the input and interest!

-XexorZ (Pronounced Zex or Zee for the curious)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast