WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I still haven't had the time to play with this, but I love the idea. Have been thinking about it a lot: What about using the driver as the support? I'm thinking upside down (assuming a "T handle") for support, & the webbing or rope through the notch in the driver, or even have an add on "Y" attachment. To use any of these "ground stakes" you need some sort of driver, why not have it do double duty.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trugracie View Post
    Will post one as soon as I make some.
    Simply put the washer in a vice right where the inner circle is, and whack it a few times with a hammer. I had to play with it for a little, but finally got them right.
    The only problem I have, is I could almost never get them out.

BTW
    If you're still having problems setting the anchor, simply pull your driver up bout an inch or till you think it clears the washer, turn 90 degrees, and pull on the rope, that helps turn the washer. After that, pull the driver out and stomp the hole a few times. It usually helps pack everything down.
    I've been playing with this a little. In order to fit the driver, I have to do as you describe, bend at the center.

The problem I then have is that the bend pushes the washer/anchor off to the side as I drive it. I cannot get a straight down drive.

Now maybe this isn't really a problem and I am making it a problem with my mindset of driving straight down. If I compensate for the angled drive when I set-up the location for the stake, then the angle gives me a better anchor for the suspension coming down at an angle.

Also, I like your idea of pulling the driver up to just clear the washer/anchor and using the driver to force a tilt and grab.

Between the bend and the driver, this is getting even better.

Thanks.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    I still haven't had the time to play with this, but I love the idea. Have been thinking about it a lot: What about using the driver as the support? I'm thinking upside down (assuming a "T handle") for support, & the webbing or rope through the notch in the driver, or even have an add on "Y" attachment. To use any of these "ground stakes" you need some sort of driver, why not have it do double duty.

Don't think I'm understanding what you are suggesting here. Don't understand what you mean using the driver as the support.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Don't think I'm understanding what you are suggesting here. Don't understand what you mean using the driver as the support.
    Check out the video, he uses a step ladder & a post hole digger as replacement "trees". The technique discussed here is assuming at least one tree not being there, so we need something to replace the missing tree. SO, I suggest double duty for the required driver as opposed to carrying a post hole digger, cause them things is heavy.

Suggested but not tested method: drive anchor device in using the tool, turn driver upside down (& secure?) perhaps placing rocks or etc under to reduce ground penetration, attach hammock suspension to driver then buried "stake". You need to have a driver anyway, & I think you could trust a sturdy driver more then a pile of rocks or a fallen branch(es).

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Check out the video, he uses a step ladder & a post hole digger as replacement "trees". The technique discussed here is assuming at least one tree not being there, so we need something to replace the missing tree. SO, I suggest double duty for the required driver as opposed to carrying a post hole digger, cause them things is heavy.

Suggested but not tested method: drive anchor device in using the tool, turn driver upside down (& secure?) perhaps placing rocks or etc under to reduce ground penetration, attach hammock suspension to driver then buried "stake". You need to have a driver anyway, & I think you could trust a sturdy driver more then a pile of rocks or a fallen branch(es).
    Okay - now I understand what you mean by support.

How long would the driver/support need to be?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Okay - now I understand what you mean by support.

How long would the driver/support need to be?
    I don't know.
    Seems to me that the drivers mentioned are 32" to 36", lets assume we need an attachment (Y shaped?), so lets add another 4" just for fun, so 36" to 40" . That would still be way close to the ground, I've only hung that low one time, & was nearly on the ground by the end of the night. But, that would be better than actually being ON the ground.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I don't know.
    Seems to me that the drivers mentioned are 32" to 36", lets assume we need an attachment (Y shaped?), so lets add another 4" just for fun, so 36" to 40" . That would still be way close to the ground, I've only hung that low one time, & was nearly on the ground by the end of the night. But, that would be better than actually being ON the ground.
    The main problem with a long driver is how to carry it. Seems it would have to be in sections. The joint would be a weak point. Maybe not too bad for a driver, but for support that could be really bad.

My TI driver is 1/4"x 16" right now and I think it is long enough. At least for an anchor up to about 12" to 14" in the ground. I have been thinking of making one 24" long, but haven't so far. My 16" driver is 2 oz and so a 24" driver would be 3 oz.

Carrying a driver up to about 30" isn't a problem for me since I can just insert it into the frame of the Dixon Roller pack. It'll rattle around a little in there, but otherwise isn't a problem

The support for the end opposite the sole tree is a problem though.

I have been seriously thinking of using the Dixon Roller Pack frame. Stand the frame on end with the wheel in the air. That means that I have the 2 ends that ordinarily attach to the waist belt on the ground (after detaching the waist belt which takes about a minute or less). The 2 ends on the ground gives me a lateral stability that a monopole doesn't have. I would still guy it laterally, but those stakes wouldn't be holding the suspension, only holding the frame upright. I could use 1 or 2 driven anchors to hold the suspension force. Dixon rates the frame at 100 lbs. With a Bridge Hammock, I guesstimate the head end of the hammock is supporting about 60% of the weight and the foot end about 40%. So if I arrange with the head end attached to the tree, then for me the roller pack frame would conservatively be supporting about 72 lbs - winter weight. Even with a gathered end hammock where the ends share the weight equally, the frame could probably support a 200 lb loaded hammock. Of course, those are all static loads. I'm still looking at the weights and the angles involved trying to convince myself to actually do this. I have inverted the frame with the wheel in the air and hung momentarily from the wheel with no problem.

Still

I'll have to do some more experimenting with hanging from the wheel and jouncing up and down to really convince myself this could be actually doable. My experimenting is putting my full weight on the frame as opposed to only 50% or less with the hammock.

Hammock
    N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    This idea isn't dead... not by a long shot....

Its just ... sleeping :-)

More to come from my end when I find time to play. Right now things have been kinda nuts. Anyone else have any news?

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011