Images

hanging with my girls

I took my oldest two daughters out this weekend

using my All in one ala Jeff I made as a hammock.

taking a swing

My Double layer hammock with walmart tarp.

It was fun and educational. Brought up some questions for you "experts out there' First I know I must make a tarp, the Rectangle wally world job stinks, but it is something I already had. O.k where to begin. I had lots of stretch in the webbing on my hammock so I need to replace that. I gathered my ends incorrectly and I am not sure what I did wrong. I guess on my test hammock I had beginners luck because it layed perfect. I then untyed the knot and regathered and whipped it. Well, The middle (all the way down the center, was tighter than the sides and I could not lay on the diagonal. I layed in it along time thinking I would deal with it and fix it in the morning but decided after awhile to get up and fix it. THat when I noticed that the wipping was actually slipping off the hammock. I had pulled them extremly tight using two pliers so I wonder if my large weight ( i weight 330lbs, but dropping quick) caued it to slip off? Any suggestions?
    Last edited by scottcatchot; 05-14-2007 at 08:53.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    yep, i see the end of your hammock sticking out from under the tarp. that wouldn't be a good thing if it rained.
    another thing i noticed is that the trees seem to be closer than what i would choose to use. different people like different amounts of sag, but i'm wondering if you'll be happy w/ that much sag in the long run.
    about the whipping slipping i can't tell in the pictures how your hammock supports are attached to the hammock.
    if you use a larks head, it gets tighter as more weight is added. so my hammock support w/ larks head usually doesn't slide toward the end, & often times never even touches the whipping unless i put it against the whipping in the first place. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Agree with Tim on the larkshead - mine never touches the whipping so it can't slide off.

And if the trees are too close together, it could cause the hammock to act as you're describing...maybe more distance between the hammock ends (i.e. less sag) would make it more comfortable.

As a side note, you might want to reconsider putting your girls' names, ages, pictures and location (Palestine, TX) on a public website. Just a suggestion - your call.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Per Jeff's advice above, you can go in and edit your entries and make those changes.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Images
    I did not even think about their names etc...THANKS!!!! It is sad you have to think about things like that. IThe way I connected the support was I threaded the end of the webbing through a loop and pulled it all the way through. I will experiment with different distances to see hwat I like best. I also need to get s better webbing or maybe try spectra. The stretch in what I have was really bad by morning. But hey that's part of the fun.

Images
    Your girls are adorable. This comment is from the granny dino - not a pedophile - and I agree it is sad, but necessary that we thing about these things.

Images
    It's great to see you getting your kids into hanging and hiking. I tried to get my neice to go and she wants no part of it, I think it is the 14 year old in her coming out.

I use a wiretie instead of whipping. All it does is keep the gathering together. It holds my 220+ lbs self just fine. I had problems when I first starting whipping with getting it tight enough. The hem on the end should stop it from coming off.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Great pics. I may grab my oldest 2 daughters and go camp Friday night. You've inspired me to go ahead and go.

• + New Posts