Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

HH with a Big Agnes bag/pad system - Comfortable and functional?

I'm very, very close to pulling the trigger on a HH set-up. Price to feature ratio seems to be a good balance for my current budget.
    Anyway, one the single points about the HH that has held me back so far is the lack of a pad sleeve or double-bottom construction like the Claytor and JRB set-ups have.
    That said, one of my bags is a Big Agnes bag with the built in pad sleeve. My question then is this: Does anyone here have direct experience with using a Big Agnes bag and pad in a hammock? It seems to me that this should work really, really well for the Hennessy, and should keep my bag and pad nice and aligned inside the hammock. Having never tried it myself though, I could be wrong!

What say you all?

Thanks for any input!

sir_n0thing

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Images
    I tried this type of setup in a homemade hammock. The issue that I had was very bad condensation from the air mattress. I made an underquilt and have never looked back. Just my 2 cents worth.

I'm currently experimenting with a Big Agnes Lost Dog and a Z Lite. Been out a couple of times with this setup, mixed feelings so far. Seems a little cumbersome, but will continue to work with it and I'll let you know the outcome.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    My only concern about the Big Agnes system is you still have to use the bag as a sleeping bag. I have found that to be extremely cumbersome in a hammock. While I am a big fan of sleeping bags (_I_ like their size for tuck and stuff) I use them as a quilt. It would seem to me that would defeat the Big Agnes pad system. If I had one already I would certainly try to use it. But I _personally_ would probably not buy a brand new BA system for that reason. If I could get a used one cheap.. I might play around with it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    second RR...
    One of the reasons I moved away from HH was how much of a PIA it was to get into a sleeping bag (before I knew about TQs!).
    The idea of the sleeping bag and pad mated together inside a HH?? OH, the HORROR!
    On the flip side, if you get this system, let's go camping together. Watching you get in and out of this system should prove to be very entertaining!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Hennessey Exp Zippereed Dlx A-Sim
    Tarp
    Hennessey 70D "HEX
    Insulation
    BA+Mtn,Hinman pad
    Suspension
    straps & carabiner
    Images
    I have the Big Agnes Cross Mountain in a long left zip and use the Air Core pad with it. I was waking up with a cold backside so I added the Sleeping Giant Memory Foam pad and it works out great.
    Greg Dunlap
    Santa Rosa, CA
    38.478156 N
    122.754598 W
    157 feet above sea level

[email protected]

Vietnam Security Police Life Member 361
    366th SPS K-9 Association Webmaster
    Da Nang, RVN TET 1968 - TET 1969
    Blackie 129X

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Hah, thanks for the replies. I own a BA Crystal that I generally use with a REI LiteCore pad. Sounds like this wouldn't fly so well in a HH... In my mind's eye I can imagine it being a pain to get up in through the slit and then try to get inside a bag. Unfortunately my budget isn't going to allow both a new hammock AND a quilt... I suppose I could just go with my REI down bag? Animalcontrol makes it sound like having the bag and pad mated together, ala Big Agnes system, would just be ridiculous in the Hennessy.

Of course to be perfectly honest and fair, I haven't committed to buying the Hennessy yet. The Clark and the Claytor are both still in the back of my mind.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    sir nothing... Underquilts for a HH do not need to be extravagant. It is quite possible to make a reasonable underinsulation system for the cost of a spare disposable sleeping bag, particularly in the summer and early shoulder seasons. There are several tutorials for adapting an old sleeping bag to an underquilt. It takes a little tweaking. (well sometimes a lot of tweaking) but tweaking is often free. I don't like the use of pads in any hammock. I don;t know if the HH is any worse than any others.

IF you choose to use a sleeping bag as a bag in an HH one of the ways to do so is to get into the bag outside on the ground and sit back into the hammock. Pull your feet in... and viola! you are in.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for the tips, ramblinrev! I saw your Youtube video "Underquilts on the cheap" yesterday. Good stuff, and definitely something to consider.

OK....i'm a newbie. So far i have only spent one night in my hammock. I have a big A bag. I can confirm it is indeed possible, with a therma-rest type self inflating pad. It is also a major PITA to get into the bag. It seems the key to preventing the self inflating pad from bunching up is to inflate it extra firm.

However, i might go to an under-quilt if i can do it with less weight and bulk, and still stay toasty warm. But...can that be done on the cheep?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast