Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

hammock vs tent: time and labor

You know, I might go out on a limb and admit that hammocks can be fiddlier. With the caveat that many of us do this as a hobby, and we like to fiddle -- I don't. I use Dutch's Cinch Bugs and Clips connected to the loops on my hammock. Once it's up, it's up and good to go. Others may fiddle to get a better lay.

However, I would posit that even if they didn't fiddle at all, it would be a more comfortable night sleep than they get in a tent.

Also, for those who use them, inflating and deflating air mattresses sucks, not to mention repairing leaks.

Hammock
    Dutch ware half net
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jacksrbetter
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    I think it's a whole lot easier to find two trees to hang from, than it is to find a level spot.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    It doesn't take me any longer to set up my hammock than it used to take me to set up my tent. Try the "Lazy Slug Tube" method if it is taking you too much time to setup your hammock.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Is there a 12 step plan for "fiddlers anonymous"?? Maybe I'm the charter member??

All my hammocks definitely take me longer to set up and get "just right" than the last couple of backpacking tents I've owned. Difference is, with the tents there was no "just right" but simply "that's the best I can do". Wandering around in circles in the dark looking for a flat/dry spot without a bunch of roots and rocks has never been much fun.

I like to tinker when I have time and care to but if it's been a long day and I'm tuckered out the whole system can go up in an hurry (and has) because I just want a quick meal and some sleep. For the most part though I set up the tarp so I have a "dry spot" just in case of bad weather. Next I'll normally hang my pack on one of the trees so I don't have to bend over (like crawling into the old tent). Then I'll either get some water on the boil for dinner and/or fetch some water and get it filtering with the gravity system (no pumping!!).

Once dinner and water are underway I'll get the hammock out and start setting it up along with the quilts and such, depending on weather. Most likely I'll make a couple of changes along the way (move a stake, tighten a guyline, etc). By bedtime I've got my belly full and shelter optimized for the night.

One of my hiking buddies is much faster with his tent, but only when it's dry. If there's a really heavy dew he flips and flaps and tinkers around with his setup in the morning trying to shed the water so it doesn't soak his tent body. I just shake off the worst and pack the tarp up separate from everything else. Also, I get to pack everything away either sitting in the hammock or standing up rather than crawling around on my hands and knees. So, the extra time spent setting up is somewhat recovered on breakdown.

I'll take tents when I absolutely, positively have to. Until then I'll keep hanging!!

Hammock
    Handmade string & 1.1 dbl DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    Wiggys FTRSS, pluq
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadwood View Post
    If I was looking at my watch (don't own one since I retired) and worried about how many minutes it took to accomplish a task, I would not be in the woods. They make cities and jobs for that nonsense.
    Jelouse
    Mind over matter,
    if you don't mind, it don't matter

Does anyone have ideas on the best material for a DIY hammock and where to buy? I made my first one out of silk (extremely lite) but it lasted only 5-6 uses before material failure.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    To the OP... do your own thing. I see no reason to try to convince you of what you have already decided. Fine with me. Have fun in the woods. That's what counts.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Equip
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Maybe Ive just been lucky, but aside from adjusting my tarp (because Ive wanted to, not had to) I havent had to do much fiddling. When I tent camp, as I do on occasion, It usually takes me longer to find a suitable spot, clear debris on the forest floor so I dont tear my tent, pitch and stake tent, pitch and stake the fly, and inflate the air pad than it does to find two trees and hang my hammock. Personally I found after I learned my equipment (both hammock and tent) neither takes terribly long to set up, although my hammock is still faster.

Personally, Id also much rather set up my hammock in the rain over my tent too. I can hang the tarp first and keep my hammock dry whereas with the tent I have to set up the poles first, then pitch fly, then crawl under the fly and try to pitch the body after the fly which is a real pain but doable if you need to. The time to setup isnt even close in the rain. In the wind I also find the hammock quicker as I can leave the tarp in the snake skins and get it hung before pulling it out and staking it. With the tent everything is pretty much flapping around.

Jon

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images
    My hiking buddy uses a tent (although I'm trying to convert him) and I use a hammock.

Trip after trip, my complete set up (including tarp and underquilts) is finished before his. He has a two pole Marmot tent (not sure of the type) and I use a Superfly with continuous ridgeline, and dutch clips on my WBBB.

By the time he has cleared the tent area of unfriendlies, put down his ground cloth, staked out the tent, inserted the poles into the grommets, clipped on his tent, attached the rain fly, staked it down, inflated his sleeping pad, and pulled out his sleeping bag and put it in the tent, I have been set up for several mintues.

It's not a race and neither one of us is in a hurry but he has never finished setting up before me.

I also pack up quicker.

Maybe he's just slow....
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

http://jnunniv.wordpress.com

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    Any and All time spent in the woods is worthwhile.
    the more experience one has with a system, the more efficient it will be to operate.
    Fiddling is a good way of learning things and reinforcing previous lessons.
    All things are never equal! Experience, environment, equipment, etc.
    The object of the Minute Waltz is not time duration but musical delight; in other words, setting up quickly is not the only consideration in the set-up.
    HYOH. My hike will almost always be with a hammock and tarp.
    Les Rust
    "My goal is to live long enough to become a character."

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast