Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images

Hinterlands: Unofficial Trails in the Red River Gorge

I picked this book yesterday. It's called Hinterlands and it is a guide to the unofficial trails in the Red River Gorge area. It was just published in 2007.

It a really cool book that has details for about 114 unofficial, unmarked side trails. A lot of the trails are pretty short but they can offer new hanging spots and some solitude. Although the side trails may be short most require that you hike in some distance on official, marked trails to get to the unofficial trails. Some of the trails are really rugged and may require some land navigation skills and rock climbing skills. Cool

It's chocked full of info like elevation charts, driving directions to the trail, trail description, and GPS info including trail head, trail terminus, and any established campsites on these trails. Lots of nice b/w pics also.

Any one who is a fan of the RRG should get this book. Probably end up with some beautiful hanging spots.

Website for ordering:
    http://www.lostbranch.com/Hinterlands.htm

Photo from some of the unofficial trails:
    http://www.lostbranch.com/red_river_gorge_photos_ii.htm

Picked up my copy in Lexington, Ky at J&H Outfitters. I'm sure Phillip Galls Outdoors or Joseph Beth Booksellers would also carry it for those in the Lexington area
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    I'll have to look into that. On my last trip I got the park service map instead of the outrageGIS or whatever they are called. IMO it was much better. I way better scale. Plus it showed the cliffty wilderness area too. And it was all on one map.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Picked up my copy in Lexington, Ky at J&H Outfitters. I'm sure Phillip Galls Outdoors or Joseph Beth Booksellers would also carry it for those in the Lexington area
    Who? Me?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    I'll have to look into that. On my last trip I got the park service map instead of the outrageGIS or whatever they are called. IMO it was much better. I way better scale. Plus it showed the cliffty wilderness area too. And it was all on one map.
    Which map was better?

They sell it in the following locations in Ohio:
    Ohio

Benchmark Outfitters The Nature Shop
    Hooch,

Yes I had you in mind.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    if you got the park map it is way to big and rips very easy since is is just paper. I have both and the ourageous maps are the better of the 2 IMO

Images
    Cool the Bendmark is 10 minutes from my house. I liked the bigger ones. The ourageous set I have is 5 maps of just the gorge area. The scale is something like 1":.25 mile or something rediculous like that. The bigger map also had the other forest area on it. I like being able to set the whole map out and get a look at the big picture.

In the end, different strokes for different folks. In the end it is only $11 and on display at the vistors center.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts