Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New to the hammock

So i have spent the last two nights in my hammock. Friends and I have been bumming around this weekend camped up along the local river. I have had no real problems falling a sleep in the hammock. In fact i wake up far less than on the ground, and i dont have any head,back,neck or hip aches in the morning!
    The only problem right now is staying warm. On the ground i can take a walmart blue foam and homemade synthetic quilt down to high 30's(like 36-38*). In the hammock i got cold sleeping and the temp was only 48-50*. My shoulders were cold hips and sometimes my elbows. I am not sure i am a fan of a pad it moves around and is all clammy in the morning, but being the cheaper option i would like to try tinkering with it.
    I thought of making a pad extender to make wings on the sides that would start at the shoulders going down to the hips. The bigger problem i think is keeping this dame thing from sliding around. Any ideas? I have considered making a "pocket" on the outside of the hammock but not sure i want to sew on the hammock fabric. Maybe kinda like a removable pad under quilt?

Thanks
    ryan

Oh yeah! I have a speer hammock if that helps. I also use the 8x10 tarp and i pitched it low but fairly open.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ Pad
    Images
    If your set on the pad idea, got to Ed Speers site and get a SPE (Segmented Pad Extender). Basically it gives your pad wings and extends it around the shoulders. Your best bet is to get an UQ (underquilt). That can drop your bottom temps way down. There are those on here that regularly go into the negative degrees while hammocking. Lurk around in the pad section of the forums and the underquilt areas.

Good luck and welcome to the Forums!
    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    - Yoda

spe

i rigged up a really rough looking spe. i used duct tape to hold the wings to my z-lite.
    i am up at 4000 feet today, up at my dads. Gonna run inside if it gets to cold.

Yeah i have a down blanket that i thoght about making into an UQ.

OK so i dont think i am a fan of pads in the hammock. I was so sweaty last night. I just dont like the clammy feeling on the pad. I still have yet to try sew a nylon pad holder and extender but idk.

Thinking of getting an Uq i know ill want a 3/4 or full uq but cant decide what to use. I would like to stay light, but the temp i need to reach is around 20* so that might be a little tough idk.

JRB seems great but not sure how well they will work with a speer, the speer snug-fit is a little $$$. Maybe a KAQ or Te-wa.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ Pad
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bushman View Post

Thinking of getting an Uq i know ill want a 3/4 or full uq but cant decide what to use. I would like to stay light, but the temp i need to reach is around 20* so that might be a little tough idk.
    I have a 3/4 uq based on Coffee's Red River Gorge directions. I've taken it (with 9oz of down, 900 fill power) down to single digits. I also had a 20* bag that I was inside of and two layers (one of which were thermals) of clothing. I did that for two nights on the AT and stayed plenty warm. (I also had a winter tarp that closed on the ends.)

Quote Originally Posted by bushman View Post
    JRB seems great but not sure how well they will work with a speer, the speer snug-fit is a little $$$. Maybe a KAQ or Te-wa.
    Not totally sure, but I think all will work just fine with a gathered end hammock. Maybe someone with one of these uq will be able to help you specifically. IMO, I would think you'd be safe with any of these choices.
    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    - Yoda

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    I have the KAQ New River UQ and it works great with my Clark NX-200. There are two different models of the KAQ, as of right now, pgibson is working on other models I think. I like my New River and have been into the mid 40's wearing a short sleeve t-shirt, gym shorts and a thin fleece blanket.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

I wish those UQ weren't so expensive! What is a cheaper alternative?

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Down DIY quilts will run you about $130 for materials. If your labor is free, then $130. If you value your time, then double that.

If that is too much, then think synthetic insulation. That will reduce the price ??? ~1/2. But down is Sooooo much better.

If that's still too much, then closed cell foam pads, and suffer the sweating issue.

Or, add a 2nd hammock, think traveler hammock ($20), under your sleeping hammock, minus all the hanging hardware (use shock cords), and pile all kinds of junk (clothes, leaves, air bags) in it below your sleeping hammock.

Hammock
    N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    I just purchased a el-cheapo mummy bag from Overstock.com (listed at 20*F but likely not quite). I cut and sew a slit in the foot box and added some tie-off points at the foot box and head opening. This hangs pretty much perfectly on my hammock. The best part? The bag cost me $19.95 ... shipped! (Sorry item is no longer available - just checked...)

It weighs in at 3lb 6oz but I think it will do me just fine for now.

Bonus: I have it setup like a "pea pod" - that is, it zips around me. I find it likely that it will keep me warm down to ~40*F and in concert with my Kelty 15*F bag will likely go down to 20*F or so.

UQ can be done on the cheap... but ultra-light ultra-warm is ultra expensive

I've heard it here MANY times...

You can have light.
    You can have warm.
    You can have cheap.

Pick any two.

-XexorZ

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast