High Hangs-- Logistics?

Ok so I'm sure everybody has at least seen the pictures all over the internet of insane and over the top hangs. ENO's website is particularly crazy like that where every single picture seems to contradict all of their suggested safety precautions in new and interesting ways. I've seen pictures of half a dozen hammocks strung between two trees and another of half a dozen hammocks strung along a line over some kind of chasm or gorge up in the mountains, and pictures of so many college students all hanging from the branches of the same tree that it's like multi-colored apple picking season or something. I've seen pictures that made me cock my head to the side as if looking at it from a different angle would somehow let me see off frame in an attempt to answer the question "how you did that?!"

I'm just kind of curious what goes into setting up a hammock like that other than good climbing (and photography) skills. A lot of the time figuring out how they managed the set up is only half the question-- you've got to wonder how they then managed to get in the thing. With all the focus around here on the "normal" 12-15 foot hangs that 99% of everybody are probably always going to stick to I'd really like to hear about how that other 1% pulled off the more extreme stuff that makes the rest of us shake our heads laughing and go "that's freakin' nuts, man!"

Anybody have any good stories about pulling off something like that?

(And just in case it needs to be said for legal "cover your butt" purposes: Don't try this at home! )

Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    One time we had a slack line set up and stood on that to get the straps really high on some pretty distant trees. Not too extreme, but it was fun!

Hammock
    Experimental Hammocks
    It's really not as difficult as it seems. I really like doing high hangs, it's almost like I see a spot and just wonder, "How could I hang there" and then think about the possibility of setting up there and how I would go about it. It's really all about being creative but there are some standard techniques.

for something like this https://flic.kr/p/qMAq2w where the hammock is only abou 5-6 feet off the ground we use what we call the "bat or batman technique" not sure if there is a technical name for it. Basically put your forearms in the hammock then swig your legs up and twist.

for stuff like this (great adrenaline rush) https://flic.kr/p/tX36Af and https://flic.kr/p/wgWXjS you just drop in from up above and slowly lower yourself in unil your CG is in a good spot then you let go.

For stacking https://flic.kr/p/tjjgp1 you either bat techinque your way all the way to the top or you climb the straps like a ladder

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior Edge
    Tarp
    OES MacCat
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I've seen videos of the batman technique to get in to hammock stacks but have always wonder how do you get down from the top?

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    For me, when the view out looks like this...

IMG_20150321_163553_692 pe copy (Medium).jpg

...and the view down resembles this...

IMG_20150321_162851_314 pe copy (Medium).jpg

...the view up always looks something like this...

IMG_20150321_163812_679 (Medium).jpg

A little bit of tree climbing gear safely gets me where I want to be...

2023 (Medium).JPG

Not wanting to hang higher than I'm willing to fall, dictates that I always use the safety gear required for a no fall hang when I'm higher than ~20".....which means I'll never be the one doing this....

Last edited by gmcttr; 07-23-2015 at 09:07.

Just out of curiosity, how exactly do you deal with the 3 am call of nature?

Hanging high is like riding a bike- if you're really serious about it, you wet yourself while doing it. You can always wash the kit.

Quote Originally Posted by HughMorris View Post
    Hanging high is like riding a bike- if you're really serious about it, you wet yourself while doing it. You can always wash the kit.
    LOL, i had to google it and sure enough...

Peeing on the bike can have other benefits, especially if temperatures dip in the mountains or the windswept French countryside. "In races that are soaking wet and freezing cold, I like to p*** myself," Cavendish says. "It warms me up for a split second. You get warm and you don’t have to fuss around.
    I consider my self a bit more involved than just a recreational cyclist, but i theres yet another reason i wont be making the jump to pro anytime soon.

• + New Posts