Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Warbonnet Ridgerunner - Best trekking poles with flicklock to use as spreader bars?

I just bought a Warbonnet Ridgerunner. I want to use trekking poles instead of the spreader bars to save weight. Are there any trekking poles out there that have the camera mount on top AND also use flicklock? I don't want to use the twist lock poles. The lightest poles aren't going to be strong enough for me (broke a Gossamer Gear LT4 pole my second day using it once), so I'm looking for poles that are strong, but not super heavy either. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by MetalBackpacker; 07-21-2015 at 12:06.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I have not seen any flick locks with a camera mount. Many of us use the Mountain Smith Trekker FX poles. They work perfect with no modification or extra parts but not a flick lock pole.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Bummer. Thanks for the reply.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MLD Hexagon
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Adj webbing
    Flicklocks and camera mount.

http://www.backcountry.com/leki-phot...-trekking-pole
    Very, very expensive though (Note that you can't buy this in pairs = the price given is for a single pole)
    Good judgement comes from experience - Experience comes from bad judgement

Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Flicklocks and camera mount.

http://www.backcountry.com/leki-phot...-trekking-pole
    Very, very expensive though (Note that you can't buy this in pairs = the price given is for a single pole)
    Ahh there is one! Wow that is expensive. And I noticed the collapsed length is 69cm (27+ inches)... the spreader bar for the foot is only 19.5 inches. Even the Mountain Smith Trekker FX poles claim a minimum length of around 28 inches. So I guess I just don't understand how ANY pole works in place of the spreader bar at the foot since none of them are close to the 19.5" length of the foot spreader bar. What in the world are you guys doing to use a trekking pole for the foot spreader bar???

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MLD Hexagon
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Adj webbing
    These are the most compact ones that I have experience with. 19.7" in the fully collapsed length, so still slightly longer than the desired 19.5".
    http://www.exped.com/switzerland/en/...es/compact-120
    But they're not flicklocks...
    However, if your request for flicklocks is because of fear of "surprise" collapsing of the poles: I'm using Exped hiking poles myself since years, and they have never started sliding/collapsing by themselves under any conditions. I'm using my poles all 4 seasons, hiking, snow-shoeing and skiing.

These guys are 19.3" in the fully collapsed length.
    I don't have any experience with them myself, but they're highly regarded as a sturdy and light alternative in the ultralight hiking community.
    http://www.fizan.it/?product=compact-4-black
    Also not flicklocks...

/ Karl
    Last edited by Karl; 07-22-2015 at 09:57.
    Good judgement comes from experience - Experience comes from bad judgement

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Not sure where you got 19" for the foot spreader bars on the RR. But here is the Trekker collapsed all the way with the foam cap removed ready to be used as you would for spreader bar replacements next tot he foot end spreader bar.

IMG_5056.jpg

As you can see the Trekker can actually get shorter than needed for the foot end. The longer foot piece might be 19 with the ferrel but when assembled for use on the hammock they are closer to 28.5"
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    These are the most compact ones that I have experience with. 19.7" in the fully collapsed length, so still slightly longer than the desired 19.5".
    http://www.exped.com/switzerland/en/...es/compact-120
    But they're not flicklocks...
    However, if your request for flicklocks is because of fear of "surprise" collapsing of the poles: I'm using Exped hiking poles myself since years, and they have never started sliding/collapsing by themselves under any conditions. I'm using my poles all 4 seasons, hiking, snow-shoeing and skiing.

These guys are 19.3" in the fully collapsed length.
    I don't have any experience with them myself, but they're highly regarded as a sturdy and light alternative in the ultralight hiking community.
    http://www.fizan.it/?product=compact-4-black
    Also not flicklocks...

/ Karl
    Thanks Karl. I'm not afraid of the twist locks collapsing, but rather getting stuck in place. The twist locks I had before just froze up and wouldn't untwist. Don't remember the brand, but they weren't top of the line. I made an exception for the GG LT4s because of the extremely low weight, but snapped a pole after about 20 miles of hiking with them. Not sure I'd trust them(not as a spreader, but as a trekking pole) to replace my spreader bars even if they did fit in place of the foot spreader bar.... if I snap another during the hike, then I'd have no spreader bar! I just like the flicklocks better than the twist locks. I have a pair of black diamond poles with flicklocks that have worked flawlessly for me. I actually bent one once and just bent it back in place, then hiked another 80+ miles on that trip with them without issues, then several more subsequent trips without problems. But, they have no camera mount, and don't break down short enough.

I appreciate the suggestions and will look into them if I cannot come up with another solution. Still, I am completely baffled as to how others are using poles that are longer than the foot spreader. It's one thing if it's maybe an inch more or less, I'm sure that's not too big of an issue, but when the minimum length is like 10" more than the foot spreader bars, what are people doing to make this work? I have watched professorhammock's video on youtube where he shows how to use the GG LT4 as a spreader, but he only shows how to use it for the spreader bar at the head, not the foot. I just can't find any info on what people are doing to make poles that are longer than 19.5" when broken down work for the foot spreader.

Even if the poles don't have a camera mount, I might still be able to modify them to accept a camera mount to use with the pole tip set from Warbonnet. I saw a write up somewhere on this forum about someone who used hanger bolts or something sunk into the handles that you can screw the camera mount onto, then the pole tip set. But, none of this is any good unless the poles break down to at least 19.5", or someone explains how they are using a longer pole in place of the foot spreader.

**Edit**

pgibison, I measured them the other day. I just bought this hammock so I may have incorrectly measured the wrong segments of the spreader bars due to being unfamiliar with it still. So, if the spreader at the foot is actually 29 inches, then the length shouldn't be an issue. My mistake.
    Last edited by MetalBackpacker; 07-22-2015 at 10:44.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    If twist lock poles are sticking then they need cleaned. They can be fully disassembled and all of the trail dust/gunk cleaned off of the poles (outside and in sides) and the cam mechanisms as well as the spring. They just need to be maintained to keep the parts clean and free of grim build up.

I have been hanging the RR for about 3 years now. 80% of the nights I use it....any backpacking nights I use the Trekkers for my poles. No they are not the lightest poles on the market. But I get 24 hours use of them, they are comfortable in the hand while hiking. One hold my Camera all day long while hiking....means I leave other mounts/micro tripod at home and still get a spot to put the camera for self timer shots.

Just found this pole, half the price of the LEKI Photosystem Carbon Speedlock Trekking Pole:

https://www.backcountryedge.com/inde...znEaAq3Y8P8HAQ

However, it looks like the camera mount is not located directly above the shaft of the pole, but towards the end of the handle. I assume it's mounted in the same spot on the LEKI photosystem pole. I was reading that this is not ideal for using poles as spreader bars. It makes sense, but not sure how critical it is. I don't intend to use the camera mount for a supporting a camera at all. I made my own lightweight (4.7oz)tripod to use with my camera while on hikes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqmDhZsX_5k
    Last edited by MetalBackpacker; 07-22-2015 at 11:19.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast