Tarp
    Yukon Walkabout
    Insulation
    CCF+0*Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles

Suspension and Continuous loop questions

Hey guys!

So I am pretty new to all of this, but I have been learning a ton. I actually broke down today and decided to get some new stuff (mostly from dutch). I am upgrading my ENO and Atlas straps to a Dutch PolyD and cinch buckles. I also plan on having a structural ridgeline for the first time. For the most part I understand how the whole suspension system works and how to set it up, however I do have some concerns and questions...So I am coming to you guys for help. I would rather figure it out now so that I can start hanging as soon as it is delivered!

1. How do I attach my continuous loop to the end of the hammock? Does it go through the sewn hem of the hammock to form a larks head? Or is it better to tie a larks head around the end of the hammock leaving the end bunched up? I feel like I have seen both ways done. Is one better than the other? Or is there a better method that I am missing completely.

2. I am planning on doing this for both my old ENO (changing out the old continuous loops to cheaper amsteel loops) and for the new Dutch PolyD that is on the way. Will I do the same thing for both? Or will the continuous loops need to be installed in different ways?

3. Where does the structural ridgeline attach? To the hammock? To some part of the suspension? The continuous loops? Does it matter? I see a lot talking about what ridgelines are and how to make adjustable ones or whatever, but not much on how to actually put them on a hammock.

Thanks guys.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    1. Whether you go through the end channel and larks head the continuous loop or bunch up the end of the hammock using Mason's line and then larks head the continuous loop, is a matter of personal preference. That last method is commonly referred to as the Warbonnet style, which I prefer. The only time you should avoid running the continuous loop through the end channel is when the material is very thin like around 1.2 ounces per square yard.

2. See (1.) above.

3. The structural Ridgeline needs to be attached to the suspension lines right at the ends of the hammock. Your ridgeline has either a spliced eye or a loop made buy a bowline knot. Simply run your suspension line through those loops at the end of the ridge line.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Just to add to what MAD777 said with regards to attaching the structural ridgeline. If you want the SRL to stay put you can feed the continuous loop you are using for the end channel through the loop of the SRL before completing the larkshead. Alternately you can just larkshead the loop of the SRL around the continuous loop from the hammock. After being loaded it won't slip or slide up.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Quote Originally Posted by bbauer09 View Post
    3. Where does the structural ridgeline attach? To the hammock? To some part of the suspension? The continuous loops? Does it matter? I see a lot talking about what ridgelines are and how to make adjustable ones or whatever, but not much on how to actually put them on a hammock.

Thanks guys.
    I like to have the SRL held in place by having the end loop included in what's held together by the CLs lark's head. One less thing to fiddle with when putting up the hammock.

(Bubba hit "enter" before I did...)

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'll offer up this ridgeline video I just did. My continious loops just larkshead around my whipping.
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts