Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images

Is this right?

Almost there on finding the PERFECT sweet spot for sag versus length…

So far, the most comfortable for me is on a diagonal where my toes stick up just above the edge of the fabric on one side and my right shoulder is probably 2 inches from the edge on the other (see diagram). This results in a “wall” to my left shoulder/head, and a wall to the right of my feet, but nothing but air on the other sides. The fabric is 5 feet wide, and I’m 6 feet tall, so I’m maxing out the possible diagonal.

This would be okay on a mild, still night, but as I was laying there snoozing, er, searching for the perfect fit, I got to thinking… this won’t do if its windy, and, how on earth could you attach an undergarment/pea pod?

Do any of you do a diagonal this extreme? Several pix seem to show heads and feet in pockets that have fabric extending a few inches or so beyond noses and toes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Cool artwork. How long is the ridgeline? That is a little more of a diagonal than I have slept on. I now hang a little tighter and lay pretty centered.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    one advantage to finding a comfortable position that's not so diagonal is that you need less insulation.
    but a pad for the underneath insulation may be a solution???
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    ... How long is the ridgeline? That is a little more of a diagonal than I have slept on. I now hang a little tighter and lay pretty centered.
    I think it was 83". I've since rearranged to a tighter configuration with about (?) 100". I'm still experimenting and will post the final when I know what it is myself.

I'm using the 10' hammock stand of 2x4s, a 10' fence rail, and plywood that someone posted. Wonderful idea!!! Fits in the garage so I can really experiment ... but ... it's kinda hard to fit a 9'6" hammock inside the 10' stand to test the sag!

re: undercover, I have a big piece of Tyvek that I was planning to cut to fit and hang with shock cords, then stuff a CCF pad and/or a fleece sleeping bag liner between the layers. For my next AT section hike (GSMNP north to Erwin), near the end of August/first of September, I don't think I will need an undercover? but, want to prepare for a cooler spring hike next year. (The Tyvek will be purely experimental, I really plan to use 1.1 oz syl ripstop once I get the dimensions just right.)

• + New Posts