Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question 1st time Hammocker on 1st time LT thru-hike

Hey, doing the Long Trail thru hike in my new hammock set-up, trying to do as light as possible--

have the
    1)GT Skeeter Beeter pro, and

2)GT Funky Forest rain fly,

using a
    3)50 degree mummy bag,
    in conjunction with an

4)emergency blanket (reflective),

5)rain poncho (heavy, 16oz),

6)3/4 length ridge-rest.

Was given the advice to upgrade to a 20 degree bag, get an underquilt, or some kind of dead-air space reflective blanket.
    This is my system, it seems to work and be warm enough. My argument is that I could just as easily bring 2 lbs of warm clothing (including the clothing I'll already be wearing), instead of adding the 2 lbs of a cold weather bag, and the clothes are versatile (can be bunched up and used as pillow, etc). Criticism welcomed!

14377506499822.png

This is the way I've been laying my hammock... was experimenting with cross-laying on the ridgerest for more comfort, like a slight "X" shape, not sure if it's working or not. The only spot I have to hang in my yard is kind of horrible and puts me at a weird hang.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    You need under insulation for the same reason that bridges get ice on them before the roads do: cold air underneath something, even with minimal air movement, will drop the temperature of anything above it faster and lower than something with nothing underneath. Its called convective cooling.

You're adding a lot of bulk and weight for very little return in insulation.

If you are hanging in New England any time after 1 August (especially if you are doing it at elevation) you will need under insulation. Pads are effective, but only marginally so, and their effectiveness drops off quickly as temperatures drop, with the added danger of condensation because your insulation isn't breathable.

Spend the money on a down under quilt and top quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    You need under insulation for the same reason that bridges get ice on them before the roads do: cold air underneath something, even with minimal air movement, will drop the temperature of anything above it faster and lower than something with nothing underneath. Its called convective cooling.

You're adding a lot of bulk and weight for very little return in insulation.

If you are hanging in New England any time after 1 August (especially if you are doing it at elevation) you will need under insulation. Pads are effective, but only marginally so, and their effectiveness drops off quickly as temperatures drop, with the added danger of condensation because your insulation isn't breathable.

Spend the money on a down under quilt and top quilt.
    Let's not forget why there's so much cold air under the bridge -- the icy river. Although I totally agree with your point, I feel like the analogy is a little bit overboard in the case of early August on the LT, because now I have the image of the bottom of my hammock freezing solid, dying overnight of hypothermia, etc... which may be exactly true, I don't know.

Anyway--- do you think just getting an underquilt would be enough, or do you think the underquilt / overquilt combo will be necessary in late Summer? And can you reference me to a suitable brand or source for these, in terms of light-weight and (fairly) inexpensive? Thank you

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    I've been out in the backyard hammock on a 70 degree and gotten chilly just from a light breeze circulating under the hammock. It affects your comfort level more substantially than you would think.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Agreed on the underquilt, the top quilt helps to reduce weight but doesn't necessarily have to be used to replace a sleeping bag. I still use a bag with my underquilt, I really like the wrap around my shoulders and the hood that comes with my bag.

But sargevining's recommendation stands - the pad will not be great at colder temps (especially shoulders/butt) and the reflective sheet is pretty much worthless. It's used with the Hennessy Super Shelter, but this is a very specific use where it provides a vapor barrier with an existing under insulation, not where it is actually providing any insulation on its own.

I guess I would go with the ENO ember 2 at $99, but it's only rated at 50 degrees, where it says it's a "4 season underquilt" on their website. What about buying a military woobie blanket and grommetting the corners myself?

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenThumb View Post
    I guess I would go with the ENO ember 2 at $99, but it's only rated at 50 degrees, where it says it's a "4 season underquilt" on their website. What about buying a military woobie blanket and grommetting the corners myself?
    That's what's known as a PLUQ: Poncho Liner Underquilt. Google that or search this site and you'll find tutorials.

IMHO, a better alternative is this one:

Which I can attest will get you down to 38 degrees.

And if all you're worried about is 50 degrees, then this makes a better alternative than most 50 degree bags:

Last edited by sargevining; 07-24-2015 at 15:56.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    FWIW, the Ember2 is not bad, but its only a summer quilt for up North and 3 season for down south.

Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    FWIW, the Ember2 is not bad, but its only a summer quilt for up North and 3 season for down south.
    Hmm, should be enough to get me through the LT, though, right? not looking forward to another two pounds, but definitely doable, that would put my base pack weight a bit over 21 lbs, unless I dropped some weight somewhere else. Also going to watch the PLUQ video... thanks for all the advice/patience so far!

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    If you want a good, all purpose underquilt that gives most bang for your buck, try the Arrowhead Jarbidge. Good to at least 30 degrees. Great investment for $100.
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast