Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ENO Single Suspension Theory

I was considering this set-up for a ENO hammock. Seeing as I do not own the hammock I thought I'd post it here and see what you guys think.

My set-up would be the ENO Slap Straps around a tree. The actual hammock on one of the furthest loops. And a ridgeline tied to one of the loops closest to the tree with a Quick Release Knot. And the tarp would be attached to the ridgeline with a Prusik Knot.

In theory this would work. But I don't know if it would be practical in the field.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Please save yourself a big headache and a few bucks as well. Don't get the Slap Straps. Avoid any and all ENO Slap Strap products like the plague. They're made from nylon, which stretches. A lot. Trust me, the voice of experience speaks here. Go with something that will work better like ring buckles, cinch buckles, whoopie slings, etc, just don't waste your money on Slap Straps. Did I mention not to get the Slap Straps?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Got to go with Hooch on this one ... slapstraps ... waste of greenbacks. Stretch and limit your adjustability to the position of the loops.

I got my first ENO and slapstraps from a guy that was unloading them. So I only spent 5 bucks for the slap straps ... and that I thought was too much. Nice stuff sack though.

Switch to some good one inch straps from Strapworks, pair of Dutch clips or not ... and tie in a couple clinch buckles.

That's what I did. I first removed the 3 ton carabiners that come with the basic models, Untied the knotted loop and four loop prusik knotted on a clinch buckle to each end. Now I can rig it with unlimited possible connection points and it's fast, simple and doesn't stretch! I love the hammock ... don't like the straps or their tarps.

Oh and back to your original question ... yeah that will work but again the stretch can leave you with a sagging tarp since your line is on the same strap that's sagging under your weight. If your trees are too close ... you might not have the additional loop available as well.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    Guess I will learn the hard way... got slap straps and found them not as conveinent, then you post this!

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I spent all Summer hanging in slap straps. I'll never really understand what people have against them. Are there better options? yes. Are there better mainstream options readily available at most outfitters? Not that I've seen.

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by LyttleBryan View Post
    I spent all Summer hanging in slap straps. I'll never really understand what people have against them. Are there better options? yes. Are there better mainstream options readily available at most outfitters? Not that I've seen.
    I'm with you on this one... I've got the Slap Straps (at my local EMS store!) and like them just fine. Loads better for me than using just the tape that comes with a DD. I use my Slap Straps with carabiners that I keep on the tape that came with my gathered-end DD. I left enough tape so I could "tweak" the hang if need be, so far there has been no need. If the stretch is excessive I haven't noticed it, maybe because I hang pretty "taut" to begin with (I weigh about 220 lbs, YMMV!)

I don't doubt that there are better suspension systems out there but for a severely knot-tying-deficient hanger like myself, this one does everything I want it to do and bonus... the stuff sack is a real nice fit for my Heiney pot cook set!

Hammock
    PolyD
    Tarp
    OES MacCat ultra
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images
    I like my slap straps pro. Now that I got them stretched. If I could find ones that that are easier and lighter to use I might get them.
    Tortoise never for a moment stopped, but went on with a slow but steady pace straight to the end of the course.
    Translated by George Fyler Townsend. Aesop's Fables (p. 18). Amazon Digital Services, Inc..

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    You can almost watch them stretch.
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

I'm guessing there are alot of "heavy" hammock campers xD

Hammock
    Custom Doublenest
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Black Mamba + DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I ditched the slap straps on my doublenest and replaced the internal rope and carabiner with a 12 foot 6mm rope. Just wrap the rope around a tree, tie a junk knot, and you are done. I hated Having to hang a little goofy just because there wasn't a loop in the right spot. Plus even with 24 feet of rope it still fits in its own pocket and you don't need to worry about forgetting your straps at home or in a tree (i did it once, man, that sucked).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast