Hammock
    Bespoke Ultralight
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie

My first DIY project...

So, I was sat in my hammock a while back and I got to thinking.... if I go out walking, making lunch in the woods or whatever, I always have my full hammock kit in my pack and I put it up to sit on but try not to lie in it as that turns into a siesta I pondered long and hard and designed a smaller hammock, a hammock chair, if you will, all in my head. Turns out it's been done before and there are a couple of companies making them for retail. Not to be put off by this, I went ahead and ordered what I needed, some Ripstop and some gütterman heavy duty thread...
    The Ripstop arrived a few weeks ago and I've been waiting for the right time to do it around work and other commitments.

Wednesday seemed like the perfect time to start, so I started using the sewing machine (that we have had for about 6 months but never used) and it became apparent that the machine couldn't really handle the thicker thread.

Thursday came and I picked up a proper sewing machine, a Janome, with quite a few bells and whistles on it. Within 30 minutes, I had it set up and was sewing...it was that easy! I had previously cut the material to size, 50" x 59" and put a hem around all four edges. I have sewn a channel down both sides as I was going to put some shock cord in them, this didn't work out how I imagined it would do so it'll be back to the drawing board on that.
    I sewed a channel on the top and bottom and I had finished! Anyway, I was on a roll.....until I ran out of thread!!!!

Friday came along and After work, I called in to a local habadashery to stock up on some more thread so j could finish it all off. The rain didn't stop all day....I couldn't let this put me off. I threaded the Whoopie slings through the top and bottom channels and wandered off to the woods.

It worked!!!!!!

I am amazed that I have managed to complete the project fully and I am more amazed that it works perfectly.

What would I do next time...? I'd possibly try a different thickness material, the stuff I have is very slippy when sat in it until you slide to a comfy position. I also think that the thread I used may be a little too overkill, so I may try it with standard thread, this may also help me get it a little more straight than I have done this time I may also try shorter whoopies, I used 5ft for this, I think I could lose another ft at least.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Marlinspk/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolerking View Post

Great job on your hammock chair! I just finished my first diy gear sling and I'm quite happy with it! I think it's probably the start of a new addiction.

Looking at this picture it looks like your thread tension may not be quite right on your machine. Don't know if this is the original machine or the new one but this exact same thing happened to me and I had to make a few adjustments. Depending on your machine it should be able to handle the thicker thread with the right tension adjustments. Of course Janome makes a great machine too!

Jes
    Jes

"The height of your accomplishments will equal the depth of your convictions."
    Willam F. Scolavino

Hammock
    Bespoke Ultralight
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    Thanks! I'm chuffed with it! This will be a gear sling as well when I'm in my full size hammock as well, quite versatile for what they are really.
    I thought that as well actually, glad you pointed it out, I went off the settings that the machine recommended, but I shall give it a go.
    And yes, I think it's going to be addictive, I've just been to the habadashery to buy some different threads, I've been looking at different Ripstop materials as well so I'll be ordering some more over the weekend.

I'm off to make a stuff sack for it now.....

Hammock
    diy gath'd end w/ KM, diy PH whip't
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    Nice looking hammock chair. Looks comfortable.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk
    Sailing, ham radio (qrp), linux, diy hammock stuff...
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/radio.html

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Great job on your first project! Looks like it will make a great gear hammock/chair.

Hammock
    Bespoke Ultralight
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    Thanks guys.
    Yeah, it will be used as an under slung gear hammock as well as a chair ������

I've just made a second one, sorted my stitching out on it and it's a hell of a lot neater...still needs work though! ��

• + New Posts